windmax hy400 turbine???

has anyone got one of these up and running and is open to some questions??

thanks martin

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: windmax hy400 turbine???

Here is a press release from Windmax and what they say about their product:

The home page for "Windmax" (I think) is www (dot) magnet4less (dot) com and you can find their product on Amazon too (amount other places).

My first warning is that if you want to spend the money for the product--go ahead. It is not very expensive and if it produces any useful power for more than a few months--you should be happy (I, personally, am a small wind skeptic).

Second, I am very leery of any company that has an affiliate program (those seem to be the hallmark of many of the green energy spammers/scammers out there).

Read some of the following links for further information on small wind in general:

Wind Power Links
    www.otherpower.com (good forum for DIY Wind Power)
    Small windpower a scam ? Survey says SO
    Truth About Skystream & SWWP
    www.builditsolar.com (another DIY Wind/Solar site)

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Truth Squad
    Truth Squad Solar Expert Posts: 126 ✭✭

The Windmax looks strikingly similar to some of the Chinese-made wind turbines flooding the country as of late. I'd go out on a limb and say the thing is from China. And we all know quality is job one in China. :p
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's for sure made in china:
    MODEL NUMBER: HY-400 magnet4less.com
    Effective August, 8th, 2009, WindMax Green Energy Corp. in Plano, Texas, USA is the exclusive distributor of HYenergy wind turbines in the United States of America (including its territories and possessions). HYenergy wind turbines are manufactured by Guangzhou HYenergy Co.,Ltd. (Also known as "Guangzhou Hongying Energy Technology Co., Ltd. ").

5 Years Limited Warranty
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• homerramirez
    homerramirez Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭

when I was shopping around for solar panels, I went to Plano Tx. and drive by the store, very, very small, about 15 ft. x 12 ft. they have the same wind turbine is advertized on their E store, it was spining too fast for the wind conditions, they were selling the Sharp solar panels (130w @ $580.00 plus shipping over a year ago) I gave'em a call, when I told them that I'll pick the panels myself, then they increased the price to $899.00, I guess they do not want local (area) costumers, may be for a reason, any way , just because of that, I decided not to buy from them......

my 2 cts.:cool:
  • Truth Squad

Yeah, I can recognize a Chinese wind turbine by sight. They all basically look the same. Plus, they just haven't got the blade technique down. The blades always look bad.
  • GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭

Here is a recent article about Green Supply Chain: U.S. Job Claims that struck my interest.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-green-supply-chain-us-job-claims-turn-weak-2009-11-17?siteid=nwhpf

It's nice to know that we're trying to keep our jobs away from China.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

that could be a big problem as few things are 100% made in usa anymore. they may import all of the parts and assemble in the usa too and being imported parts would not qualify it, it would not be allowed the $. this is especially true of the electronics involved as those parts are not made in the usa and you would be hard pressed to find any made here. i guess our governmental servants are in their own little world and so far from reality.
  • Truth Squad

The "green jobs" things is as much a farce as the whole "green energy" marketing gimmick. I and 28 other employees of Southwest Windpower lost our "green jobs". The sad thing is, SWWP is re-hiring now for many of the laid-off positions but never called anyone back. Well, at least not anyone who had been there for years long enough to make a decent salary...
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    The "green jobs" things is as much a farce as the whole "green energy" marketing gimmick...

That is basically true, almost every day we see anouncements of more layoffs, the latest just a few minutes ago. Applied Materials (AMAT) just announced they are laying off 1500 worldwide.
  • GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭

Not to get off subject, however, businesses are down-sizing and re-sizing at lower pay rates.

Last week I took an Exam for the HVAC Apprenticeship. 100 questions designed for an Engineer and they wanted you to buy a 30 dollar study guide to take the test.
    Needless to say, I didn't buy the guide and took the test with most of the answers on the internet already. Grunt pay for an Engineers position ?

A tellers job at the bank is the same way and they say, "Testing is only 5th grade math/english". WTF is this world coming to ?

Back on the subject, tried asking my Solar water heating contractors while they're here installing my system about "Green Jobs". "It's booming", they said, however you'll have to travel 3-1/2 hours one-way to start working for us......No thanks..... I'll just install my stuff and be happy with it.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • Truth Squad

Well, Southwest Windpower started rehiring for the positions they laid off from without calling back any of the people they laid off. Some of whom were people that had worked there since 1999. So, if SWWP has that kind of "loyalty" to employees who stuck it out with SWWP through the hard times, you have to ask what kind of "loyalty" SWWP will have for its customers. I also strongly suspect the laid off employees are getting blamed for the huge mistakes made by the current SWWP management structure. They tend to blame everything but themselves. Meaning the same mistakes will continue to be made.
  • vcallaway
    vcallaway Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep looking to see if anyone has actually tried one of these. Only thing I find is their own propaganda.

A small wind generator that can produce 200-300 watts is precisely what I'm looking for. Anything larger would be problematic for the area I have to work with. Plus a larger one would be noisier.

My alternative power is primarily for backup power. Last week my grid power was out every night. All due to wind. My battery backup system worked great and only used about 10% of capacity before power was restored. Having a wind generator during those times means I would only have to fire up the gas generator if we have an extended outage.

Any suggestions.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Realizing that I am not a pro-small wind kind of guy...

Buy a Honda eu2000i or eu1000i, and 1.1 gallons of gasoline will provide ~400 watts for ~15 hours. Either run your A/C loads (fridge, few lights, tv+game console -- assuming teenagers in house ;)) and/or an appropriate sized battery charger to bulk charge your batteries in the morning to >90% during your power outages.

Ease of use--running genset to charge batteries in morning/when convenient is nice. Use battery+inverter+solar panels etc. for power.

Fuel Efficiency--Remember AC Charger*battery*inverter losses (80%*80%*85%=54% overall efficiency). Run lights and other small loads during (quiet time at) night. Run Generator+Battery Charger during the day, and use excess AC power from generator to run fridge, microwave, coffee maker, washer, gas drier, etc. (no conversion losses for daytime, such as breakfast and dinner loads).

$900 for 1,600 watt, very quiet and small, inverter generator. Two 5 gallon gas cans, 1 bottle of fuel stablizer, siphon (family vehicles are 15+ gallon of gas each), optional quick charge battery charger. ~10 or more days of power outage coverage (keep food cold) lights in evening. Portable... Move to point of use (trips, camping, other emergency use). After use, drain out gas, squirt of oil in plug hole, crank, pull against compression stroke for storage (valves closed). Refill gas with stabilizer (change every year). Wait until next use.

Wind Turbine... Install turbine (most money spent on tower ~60 feet tall (or more) for prevailing winds. Hope Turbine remains functional and that wind blows when you need power.

If the Wind Turbine is on a 15 foot tower, the slow winds near ground level and turbulence will probably kill what little power the turbine can generate.

Others here might have better answers regarding small wind during "windy weather" than I.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Truth Squad

Well, here's the paradox about windy weather and small wind companies. If there's not enough wind, but their usually untrained dealer installs the thing anyway, they'll refuse to stand behind it telling you, "Well, there's not enough wind there..." Yeah, never mind their dealer doesn't know doodly squat about wind except "I'm gonna get rich!!!"

But then if the turbine starts flying apart in high winds, or failing in high winds, they're going to tell you "It's TOO windy where you are..." despite the fact they brag on their wind turbine having a 140 MPH survival wind speed. And, of course, they're going to waffle on standing behind the product then, too.

I can't stress enough how important it is to buy from a dealer who's been in the business for years and knows what they're doing. There are just too many dealers out there who got into this thinking $$$$ and not integrity and ethics. When you find the dealer who's been in business for years and is a straight-shooter, don't dicker and haggle. Pay him what he's worth. The guy who doesn't know the business will tell you anything you want to hear to make the sale---including misrepresenting the total cost of the system. So, pay the reputable dealer what he's worth. You might pay a little more up front, but it'll cost you a lot less down the road.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I just installed mine

http://www.youtube.com/embed/xXbISbz5Wmk

hy-400-1.jpg
    hy-400-house.jpg
    mast-winch-up.jpg
    disconnect-stop.jpg

Sorry to have to by from over seas but $$ had limited funds :(
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, using your house as a sounding board for it, how loud is it at night ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

Be interesting to see how long it operates before it starts to shake the house apart.
  • machineman
    machineman Solar Expert Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

So whats the verdict with your windmax HY400? I'm also interested in this 5 blade 24V turbine to give an occaional boost to my small off-grid system at night or when I have snow on the panels. The price isn't bad. I found more positive reviews then negative but only a handfull in total. Is the supplied controller garbage? What does it do when the batterys are fully charged? Does it have a diversion load option?

Thanks..

Off Grid Cabin, 24V 440ah 6V GC battery bank, Xantrex MPPT60-150 CC, Magnum MS4024 inverter-charger, >1200w Solar bank

• MisterB
    MisterB Solar Expert Posts: 156 ✭✭
    machineman wrote: »
    So whats the verdict with your windmax HY400? I'm also interested in this 5 blade 24V turbine to give an occaional boost to my small off-grid system at night or when I have snow on the panels. The price isn't bad. I found more positive reviews then negative but only a handfull in total. Is the supplied controller garbage? What does it do when the batterys are fully charged? Does it have a diversion load option?

Thanks..

After 5 months with one up, I'll give it a thumbs up. Overall, this is a good well made turbine. The 3 phase alternator rocks and I've seen it put out 40 amps during a strong--50+mph maybe--gust. It's low wind speed output is better than any other 400 watt turbine--I have the 3 blade model, not the 5 blade low wind speed model. The controller is definitely not garbage and has a dump load. It is not a particularly smart controller as far as battery charging--no MPPT or even PWM--but it works as the manufacturer promised. The main issue with this turbine for me and other users is that it will not hold itself steady in the wind at certain wind speeds and conditions which lowers power output. This seems to be an issue with just the HY400 and I haven't heard of it with the bigger HY turbines. The spring winds are starting to come on so I am beginning to stress test both the turbine and controller and I'll have a more complete idea of how it holds up in high winds by June but so far I'll say: It beats both the SW Windpower AirXs and all of the numerous PMA alternator turbines that flood ebay in any kind of real performance test. By far the best turbine out there in it's class-400-500 watt--and price range--under $1000. Small wind is plagued by poorly designed turbines sold with exaggerated specs and sometimes out and out lies about performance and in a better world, it might not shine so bright but in the world we're in, it's one of the better small turbines.

The other issue I would bring up is the lack of real support or warranty from the US reseller of this turbine.

And if it isn't installed properly at the right height in a site that has sufficient wind, it won't perform very well. Wind is a good compliment to solar if done right but a small turbine, even a good one, is nothing more than a piece of yard art if it isn't set up right.
  • machineman
    machineman Solar Expert Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

The lack of seller support is a real issue if this thing needs replacement parts. In fact the only negative reviews I found online were about Windmax support. This seems odd for a product that is CE and ISO certified. All reviews were positive on performance. I see they do sell replacement blade and hub kits.

More questions:
    At what battery voltage does the controller switch to the dump load? Anyone have more than a couple years of run time on a Windmax yet?

Off Grid Cabin, 24V 440ah 6V GC battery bank, Xantrex MPPT60-150 CC, Magnum MS4024 inverter-charger, >1200w Solar bank

• MisterB
    MisterB Solar Expert Posts: 156 ✭✭

On my 12 volt system it dumps at 14.1 volts so I would assume 28.2 for a 24 volt system. It is a dumb controller in that this is not adjustable at all and it doesn't have a different voltage to stop dumping which would be a lot nicer as would a manual dump switch which would brake it in high winds.

The blade and hubs that are available are not direct replacements, they are bigger and the smallest one is 6.8' which is 1.8' bigger than the stock blades. They would definitely increase the sweep area and power output.