Need input for Glass mat Batt

I have 2 glass mat batteries that are used only 2 times a years to start generators...
Will a float voltage of 12.98 volts maintain these batteries at the proper charge? They are sunextenders 12 volt
Charlie

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Need input for Glass mat Batt

AGM's have a very low self-discharge rate. Maintaining them with a constant float charge isn't necessary. If they start the generators a couple of times a year they're probably okay. It might be advisable to check the resting Voltage once a month and recharge if necessary.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

From their website:
    Initial charge or recharge: 2.37 to 2.40 volts per cell at 25 C (77 F). Float charge: 2.20 to 2.22 volts per cell at 25 C (77 F). Equalize charge: 2.40 volts per cell at 25 C (77 F). Temperature compensation = ±3.75 mV. per cell per degree C [Reference to 25 C (77 F)]. This is for battery temperature (not ambient temperature) and is useful for battery temperatures from 0 C (32 F) to 40 C (104 F). Contact Concorde Battery Corporation for temperatures that exceed this range.

For a 12 volt battery, that would be 13.20 to 13.32 volts float voltage. Also, remember that this is at ~77F... If your batteries are stored in a cold area (batteries last longer if kept cool)--say 77F-18F=59F, then:
    • 6 cells * -10C * -0.00375 volts + ~13.25 volts float = ~13.475 volts
    What I have done on the cheap side--Get a 1-2 amp trickle charger and connect it to a 24 hour lamp timer. I normally set the timer to charge 1 hour per day... That is usually enough to keep the battery fully charged and not overcharge (probably, up to a 100 AH or a bit larger battery--If a bigger battery, either a larger charger or 2 hours per day, etc.).

I have done with with a few different cars and it works out well. Before, the "float" chargers plugged in 24x7 to a "maintenance free battery" would require fulling every month or three.

Or, monitor the resting voltage of the batteries... As long as they are over 75% state of charge, they are "OK".

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

an unregulated charge source could continue to raise the voltage on the batteries so some sort of regulation should be used as agm batteries are sensitive to overcharging. you cannot put a unregulated 1 or 2 amp charge source on say a 100ah agm long term.