Systems designed for tropical climates? What does that mean?

Options
rollandelliott
rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
http://sunelec.com/index.php?main_page=pv_systems&id=1160

The company selling this system says:
NOTE: The 4440 W KD-185-GX-LPU is designed for tropical climates. For colder weather, this system may need to be adjusted or redesigned

What does the mean exactly? I didn't think any solar PV device was temperature dependent?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Systems designed for tropical climates? What does that mean?

Only two things I can think of is that they have 4,400 watts of solar panels on a 4,000 watt inverter.

One is that in cold climates, the solar panels can output more energy (Vmp rises as the temperature falls). But the inverter will still work fine--it just limits its output current to max. spec.... Safely, no fuss, no mess.

The other is because the Vmp and Voc rises in very cold weather, it is possible that their Series/Parallel arrangement of solar panels would exceed Vinput-maximum for the inverter in sub-freezing temperatures (basically, Voc--voltage open circuit cold or Vmp cold).

The design would have to be modified to pull one or two solar panels out of each series string to keep the solar array Vmp/Voc cold within the inverter's input limits.

Their limits seem to be:
    Voc=600 V
    Vmp=220 – 480 V @ 208 V
    Vmp=250 – 480 V @ 240 V
    Start Voltage=285 V
    Guessing that they use 2x 12 series Kyocera Solar Panel 185 Watts 23.60 Vmp:
    • 12 * 23.6 volt = 283 volts Vmp at STC
    Looking at 60F to 100F we get:
    • 12 modules Voc-cold Vmp-hot
    • 12 Modules 366.01 222.43
    And at 0F to 90F:
    • 12 modules Voc-cold Vmp-hot
    • 12 Modules 408.41 229.49
    So... No expert here on SunnyBoy systems... But it would sort of look like the system is running a bit low in the DC input voltage range if operated on 240 VAC system with either a Hot or Cold weather installation. Vmp-hot is less than the 250 VDC needed for operation on a 240 VAC line (typical 120/240 usage for a North American home).

-Bill :confused:
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the response. Is there a web site or book I can buy that goes over all those math terms you just typed? I have basic electical knowledge, have installed breaker boxes, and new circuits in my home, so I should be able to grasp this solar terminology, if I just have a idiots guide!:D
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Inverter may 'gear shift' for different input voltages. They may have panels configured for higher nominal voltage operating point to get maximum inverter efficiency and minimum wiring loss. Cold operating panels could be getting too close to inverter's maximum input voltage spec.

Sun Electric does a lot of business in Caribbean, Central and south America.
    Se Habla Español.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

An explanation of some of the mystic terms :p used on this forum: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=6136
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    Options

Hi Rolland - The same link I post for this point -

http://homepower.com/view/?file=HP134_pg50_Sanchez

Good explanations of various terms.

Russ