Large Windmill collapse in NH

Options
2»

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Large Windmill collapse in NH

good links Bill, I watched both and noticed that in both cases, the tower base section remained intact, even though a 50 Ton , assuming both are about the same size. spectacular self destruction in Denmark. 8)

Have seen many of those units and they are , in some cases, very close to homes, lucky that one did not injure someone.

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

This is the problem with Stressed Skin type designs. They are very strong until the skin is damaged (in these cases, the blades appeared to collapse the skinned structure)--then there is virtually zero strength.

The failures where the base failed would seem to indicate that the blades never touched the tower but other effects (such as vibration transmitted to the concrete/steel base in one failure or to the soil around the base in another--or just simply too much wind forces toppling an underdesigned base--I could not tell).

In most cases, failures are the result of under design (too much stress causing material failure).

In some cases, pure human error-video (one failure was caused by the erection crew unlocking the transmission with blades set in power producing position instead of feathered, causing the turbine to free run for several days until failure because the electronics (and brakes?) where not yet installed).

And, there is the UFO caused wind turbine failure (video). ;) Kind of goes to show that failure analysis by youtube/newspapers is pretty questionable. :roll:

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

There might be some relation to power outage. These large windmills are mechanically syncronous to grid with a gear box. A sudden grid load surge may put a tremenous torque spike on the shaft.

I had a professor in collage that previously worked for G.E. division that built power plant alternators. He said while testing one of the alternators someone accidently put a short on its output that caused it to break loose from its test mount and sent the multi-ton alternator rolling across the factory floor.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Update from August 2010:

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/08/back_in_action_fenner_turbines.html?mobRedir=false

Summary, we have no clue what happened, throw more rebar and concrete at design, stand back, turn on.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset