Newbie / Batt bank question

Options
dagelt
dagelt Registered Users Posts: 24
I have a 48 volt system using 12 volt batteries wires in series (4 batteries per) to make my 48 volts per string. I have 3 of these currently, each string is wired separately to the positive buss plate, 3 positive wires and 3 negative wires to the negative bus plate.

I see information saying that 3 string systems work better than a 4 or 5 or 6 string and I am asking if that means a 3 string set up with only 1 positive and 1 negative feeding the buss plates?

The reason why I am asking is because I need to add more amp hour capacity to by battery bank and by adding more strings to my current.... how well will this work. I was going to do the same thing 3 strings with each having there own battery positive and negative feeding the buss plates. Will system work properly and give me twice the battery bank amp/hours?

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Newbie / Batt bank question

first of all, new batteries will only be as good as the old ones you parallel them with so if your old ones are 3, 4, or 5 years old i wouldn't do it with 2 years being borderline. it also is dependent on the condition as new batteries can be abused and prematurely shorten their lifespan. if that is acceptable then go ahead and do it providing it is the exact same batteries being paralleled.

you should note that the balance of paralleling the strings should be present to keep equality among the batteries so some don't charge/discharge more so than others do. this has been covered in nearly every discussion of batteries being paralleled and the more that are in parallel the more difficult it is to keep that balance.

now there is an easy out to this and that might be to use a switch like the heavy duty blue seas one our host carries to switch the battery banks in or out separate from one another. if you want the option of charging the other bank from the bank being used then that would involve 2 switches, but it is very doable.
  • dagelt
    Options

My other batteries are only 6 months old and I was told to start small with the batteries and add more.... so I think I will be OK.

My older batteries have never been discharged lower than 50 volts so again I think I will be OK. They are AGM batteries and yes the new batteries are exactly the same as the older batteries.

I will search the forum about balance of paralleling the strings to help understand that but I am guessing this has to deal with cable length....??? but I will search and read about that.

I am using the Xantrex 6048 inverter with there Solar change controller with Wind support.. separate charge controller for the wind. Just trying to get everything to balance out with the inputs of both, the load that I pull and the battery bank I need. Thanks for the help and I may post another question later.
  • niel
    Options

yes, it has lots to do with wire length. it also has to do with how it's wired. check this link.
    http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,443 admin
    Options

I am the guy that usually recommends ~3 parallel strings if possible. From my generic experience with computer designs, I find that large numbers of parallel connections with voltage sources become problematic with current sharing (even with all wire harnesses of equal length--you still can have a loose connection, a little corrosion, a dead cell, etc. that can take a string out of service--an open cell; or even slowly discharge the entire bank--i.e., a shorted cell). As well as the whole issue of having to check the water level of all of those parallel cells.

However, lots of people (including our host NAWS) have systems with more than 3 parallel strings and they are very happy.

If you have parallel strings--I would suggest two things. 1) get a DC Clamp Amp Meter (just a suggestion) so you can monitor heavy charge/discharge current between strings--If you find a high or low current reading, check out the string for opens/shorted cells/etc.).

Second, each battery string should have its own fuse/breaker rated for maximum current you expect from the bank (and fuse/breaker should match the maximum current supported by your interconnect wiring). A huge problem with large battery banks is they can support ~10,000 amps or more into a dead short. High Current Fuses/Breakers are not cheap and can be difficult to wire in--but are critical to reduce the chance of fire (shorted cells, dropped tool, etc.). A fuse per parallel string connection will reduce the maximum current to a "safe" value.

Wiring wise, here are some suggestions for balanced current sharing (equal resistance for each string current path).

It is recommended that batteries be installed in matched sets... The more mismatch (age, sulphation, differences in electrolyte fill specific gravity, manufacturing, etc.) can cause old vs new battery current sharing mismatches...

How much will that "kill new batteries" because they more deeply cycle than the older batteries--A shorted cell in one bank killing the whole bank (if missed), etc. all add "risk" to your setup.

So--you are left with the choice of simply using the existing bank until it "dies" (even if it means cycling deeper than you normally would)--Then re-engineering the new bank all at once (larger AH cells to reduce parallel string, adding fuse/breaker per parallel string, possibly different brand/model batteries, or even AGM vs Flooded Cell, etc.).

Another choice--you are happy with the batteries you have and would purchase them again for a new bank--So do a bit of rewiring on the existing bank (if needed), add over current protection per string, add the new batteries (hopefully same manufacturer/model), and monitor the overall bank performance with a good DMM and DC Clamp Meter--If you find a failed "old battery"--You may even replace one or two of those (or get some used batteries)--until it is clear that you will need to replace the entire "old string".

The problem is that batteries do not appear to fail consistently... With a large bank, you may have one early life failure (warranty return). Then the bank lasts 6+ years, and about 1/2 the batteries are end of life (usually capacity loss/failure to hold a charge). And the other 1/2 of the batteries may actually work fairly well for another 3+ years (give to somebody else for their smaller system, move to a back up system, etc.).

I am afraid there is no "right answer"... Personally, as I said, I like as few parallel strings as possibly--But many folks are limited by battery size/weight--
    Simply cannot move a 500 lb large AH capacity cell around the battery room.

But, for you, wiring in a second set of new batteries into the existing bank and monitoring with voltage and clamp DC amp meter is the most cost effective solution for you.

Also, I would ask if you have enough charging current/energy for the larger bank... Typically we recommend a 5% to 13% of Bank's 20 Hour Amp*Hour capacity as available charging current... Installing a very large battery bank will many times take people below the 5% minimum rate of charge--then they have to run the genset more often or they end up "deficit charging"--basically operating the battery below the ideal 80-90%+ daily state of charge range.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • dagelt
    Options

Thank you for the additional information and I will take all information and try to apply.

I will add my system information as my signature so everyone can see what I have and maybe this will help with the charge capability question and hopefully help with more advice.

Again any information to help me along with this journey I will use.
  • keyturbocars
    keyturbocars Solar Expert Posts: 375 ✭✭
    Options

dagelt, I noticed in your signature that you have a HY-3000 wind turbine. I have a HY-2000 which has the same generating head as yours except mine is a 3 blade unit. Yours has 5 blades and makes more power at lower wind speeds and peaks a little higher too. Based on information I have from the factory, the electrical generating head itself is the same between the HY-2000 & HY-3000 turbines.

So, I am wondering how happy you are with your HY-3000?

How long have you had it? What's the highest power output you've seen? Highest winds your HY-3000 has seen?

Any other feedback or comments you have on your HY-3000 system?

I am happy with the performance and quality of my HY-2000 so far, and I am always interested in hearing from other HY turbine owners - especially from owners of the bigger turbines.

If this is inappropriate to ask here, then perhaps you can post a small HY-3000 review in the Wind Turbine section.

Thanks,

Edward
  • dagelt
    Options

Well with one of the reply's below I am just going to ask.... I am going to update my 735 battery bank to 1470Ah's and want to only rely on my solar to recharge this bank. I have 15, 220 watt panels and on a good day they put out 2600 to 2800 watts for 4 to 5 hours and around 13 to 16KW per day, this time of year.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dagelt wrote: »
    1470Ah's and want to only rely on my solar to recharge this bank. I have 15, 220 watt panels and on a good day they put out 2600 to 2800 watts for 4 to 5 hours and around 13 to 16KW per day, this time of year.

But for all those watts, it's not enough amps @ 48V to properly bubble your battery bank. That's about 50A for a 1470 battery. You need about 150A to do it right :confused:
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• dagelt
    Options

I guess I will have to rely on my wind and my XW inverter/charger to help....

I have another quick question on my XW inverter/charger, when I charge my current bank (3, 48 volt AGM strings @ 245Ah ea, 735Ah total) the charger goes to bulk for maybe 30 seconds and then to absorption for about 20 to 30 minutes...... and then its done. Does this sound correct? I have the charger set at

Batt type: AGM
    Batt capacity: 735Ah
    Max charge Rate: 100% charge

The batteries have never been below 50 volts if that means/helps anything.

I do send a lot of volt/amps over the top of them, I have been selling to the Grid but I want to fine tune some settings and increase the bank so I can be more off grid/store more so I can use it at night.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Okay, I just have to ask:

You're planning on doubling the size of your battery bank so you'll have up to 735 Amp hours at 48 Volts available. What on Earth do you need 35 kilowatts of power for? :confused:
  • keyturbocars
    Options
    mike90045 wrote: »
    But for all those watts, it's not enough amps @ 48V to properly bubble your battery bank. That's about 50A for a 1470 battery. You need about 150A to do it right :confused:

If the wind is blowing 20-30mph, he could have around to 200A coming in from those three HY-3000 turbines.
  • dagelt
    Options

Cariboocoot,
    Not for sure... maybe I am communicating incorrectly. Each battery is 245 Ah @ 20 hrs and I have 4 in one string to make 48 volts. I have 3 of these so I think I have 735 Ah bank now. Is that correct?
    I am trying to support 18000 watt/hours a day.... my whole house with out discharging them past 75% 50.5 volts.

And to add the my earlier post, I have my XW set for 2 stage charging because of selling to the grid.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Cariboocoot,
    Not for sure... maybe I am communicating incorrectly. Each battery is 245 Ah @ 20 hrs and I have 4 in one string to make 48 volts. I have 3 of these so I think I have 735 Ah bank now. Is that correct?
    I am trying to support 18000 watts a day.... my whole house with out discharging them past 75% 50.5 volts.

And to add the my earlier post, I have my XW set for 2 stage charging because of selling to the grid.

You did the math right; you've got 735 Amp hours. If you keep the DOD of your existing bank to 25% (183.75 Amp hours) that's roughly 8.8 kW hours.

I've got to say that the first rule of off-grid living is to reduce your energy needs as much as possible. The second rule is to reduce them further. :p

I'm just suggesting that instead of looking at ways to increase your available power you take a look at possibly reducing your energy usage. It's always a better return for your $.
  • BB.
    Options
    Cariboocoot,
    I am trying to support 18000 watts a day.... my whole house with out discharging them past 75% 50.5 volts.
    • 735 AH * 48 Volts = 35,280 Watt*Hours est. battery capacity
    • 18,000 Watt*Hours / 35,280 WH = 51% discharged (49% state of charge)
    Assuming I understand 18,000 watts a day to be 18,000 Watt*Hours per day. Assuming you charge during the day an use power at night...

If you use 1/2 your power during the day, and the other 1/2 at night--then (at least on a sunny day) you will only use ~25% of the battery capacity per night.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • dagelt
    Options

Well how far are all of you discharging your batteries?

I picked 25% or 50.5 becuase of what I read from my battery manufactuer they said if I discharged only 25% I get 1200 cycles and at 50 % 49.2 I only get 500???
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Well how far are all of you discharging your batteries?

I picked 25% or 50.5 because of what I read from my battery manufacturer they said if I discharged only 25% I get 1200 cycles and at 50 % 49.2 I only get 500???

Unfortunately the answer is: depends on the batteries.
    Although you may have heard otherwise, some batteries actually are designed to take really deep discharge cycles; as much as 80%. In another thread here a fellow is having trouble with some big Surrettes, and one of the problems may be that he doesn't drag them down to 50%. In your case since you have the manufacturer's recommendations you should follow that.

Personally I have habitually drained Trojan T105's to 50% daily and still got 8+ years of life out of them. The Interstate units I'm using now are having trouble with 33% DOD and I don't think I'll be buying those again.

If the batteries are cheap enough, using them deeply and shortening their life can be more economical than having a larger bank & the necessary large PV array to recharge. AGM's never seem to fall into that "cheap enough" category. :p

Can you give us the make & model of your specific batteries? Someone here is likely to have had personal experience with them or something very similar.
  • dagelt
    Options

The batteries are made by East Penn manufacturing "8A8D" but they are not Deka name brand. They did not recommend to only discharge them 25%, I just picked it because of the chart that is in there Tech manual about the number of cycles that they will last at only 25% discharge compared to 50%.

one says
    25% = 1200 cycles
    50% = 370 cycles

and the other says
    25% = 925
    50% = 370

and it also talks the harder the battery has to work the shorter the life....????

again they are AGM 8A8D 245Ah @20 hrs batteries.

I have noticed that around 53 volts the discharge rate happens much slower than from 54volts so maybe I do need to cycle them deeper??? I keep them charged up as much as I can.

Again I am very new at this and all of your guys advice is very helpful
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Okay, first thing is that Voltage is not a reliable method of determining SOC. Especially not on a "running" system. At rest Voltage (nothing going in or out for at least an hour) can give you some idea.

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

Your "48 Volt" bank is actually fully charged with a resting Voltage around 50-51 Volts. What you're seeing is 53-54: a lot of "surface charge" Voltage. This is the sort of thing you'd see when the batteries are in Float mode. In other words it doesn't seem you're really discharging them at all!

Unfortunately Voltage is all you can read on AGM's; no way to stick a hydrometer in them. This is what Battery Monitors are for: http://www.solar-electric.com/metersmonitors.html Once programmed they count the electrons going in/out and keep track of the SOC.

In terms of resting Voltage, 25% discharge would be about 49-50 Volts.

And yes; the more cycles, the deeper the cycles, the shorter the battery life.
  • bryanl
    bryanl Solar Expert Posts: 175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is a lot of stuff here that is rather confusing, misleading, or problematic. Take care with what you read! Most of these issues have many factors and are not trivial.

One idea is that there are some lead acid batteries designed for routine discharges to the 80% DoD level. The fact is that all lead acid batteries suffer life expectancy degradation the deeper they are discharged and that curve is not linear. A 50% DoD routine discharge is generally the ballpark for optimum cost efficiency by most analysis.

The reality that impacts DoD and many other factors in this thread is that real life use of batteries in household applications tends to have significant variance that, when considered with the inherent variability in battery performance due to many factors, creates a need for a lot of leeway in figuring things out.

Another is the current balancing in many flavors ranging from putting new batteries with old ones in a bank to bank wiring design. You do want all of the batteries in your bank to carry their fair share of the load in such a way that they all age gracefully and together but let's not get carried away with this. Batteries do tend to self regulate as they are very voltage dependent and that doesn't change hardly at all with age or size as capacity does.

No matter how much you try to match things, each individual battery has its own characteristics and no two are exactly the same. Current through the battery is not the only factor at play.

Then there's the energy vs power confusion in evidence here. To keep things straight, calculate the energy of each battery in your bank by multiplying its AH rating by its voltage to get Watt Hours. Then you can add up the watt hours to get the total bank energy capacity. You should only plan to use half of that energy capacity if you want to get best (most cost effective) life from your batteries.

Always use watt hours (or kilowatt hours) for energy and watts for power - don't confuse the entities and units as done in this thread and you'll avoid mistakes.

Power levels influence available energy capacity. The 20 hour rating, for instance, is usually figured at a power level of about a watt per pound of battery.

Also keep in mind that typical (on grid) household use is about 30 KWH per day. To get a bank with sufficient reserve to handle that, you'd need one with 180 kW hr energy (50% DoD, 3 day capability) which would be a big big battery bank (2 tons worth at 45 watt hour per lb). The lesson is that it takes a lot of battery to make much of a dent so obsessing on small changes, while it might be fun, is rather fruitless.

Take care, be careful of units, and watch out for those who think the quicksand is much firmer than it really is.
  • dagelt
    Options
    bryanl wrote: »
    Then there's the energy vs power confusion in evidence here. To keep things straight, calculate the energy of each battery in your bank by multiplying its AH rating by its voltage to get Watt Hours. Then you can add up the watt hours to get the total bank energy capacity. You should only plan to use half of that energy capacity if you want to get best (most cost effective) life from your batteries.

OK so if I use your example then

245Ah * 12 volts = 2940
    2940 * 12 batteries (total in bank) = 35280 watt hours
    35280 / 2 (50% discharge) = 17640 watt hours

Or

245 * 48 volts = 11760
    11760 * 3 (strings) = 35280 watt hours
    35280 / 2 (50% Discharge) = 17640 watt hours

so I have close to enough battery bank for 18000 watt/hours? I did mean to but watt/hours in one of my earlier post not watts..... Sorry to all. I will edit now.
  • dagelt
    Options

I have another "newbie" battery bank wiring question, do the positive and negative wire leads coming off my 3 strings have to be the same length?

I have my positive leads at 4.5 feet (from my buss plate to each string) but I have my negative leads at 7.5 feet (from my buss plate to each string).

Maybe this and not having a battery system monitor (to actually see how much I have drawn down my bank) is why I am not seeing much performance out of my bank????........
  • BB.
    Options

Negative/Positive leads do not have to be the same length--However, you want the same total string lengths to match between parallel battery strings. This keeps the resistance balanced between strings (otherwise, the low resistance string will take most of the load/charging currents and the strings will not properly share loads/charging current).

Smart Gauge Battery Wiring (sorry to be repetitive--link posted before)

However, unless the wiring balance is really bad--This is probably not going to cause a short term noticable problem with battery bank operation.

I have lost track, are these Flooded Cell batteries or AGM/Sealed type batteries?

If flooded cell, do you have a good Hydrometer and take readings to see how you bank (and individual cells) are performing?

In general, if you don't think your bank is performing well--Either you are not properly recharging the bank or you have some specific problem (failed cell, poor electrical connection somewhere, etc.). Or, you are simply using more current/power that you think you are (if you do not have a good load/charging monitoring system setup yet).

For example, it is not unusual at all for Solar Charge controllers to read 5-10% high for their output current (or even 30% off at times)--People never complain if their system appears to output more current than they planned (solar charge controllers still work well--they just are not designed for accurate current/energy logging--costs more money to do that). Accurate current monitoring (battery monitor, DC Clamp Meter, etc.) is useful if you are trying to maximize your power output of your system (variable solar power and variable loads day by day and even hour by hour causes lots of confusion).

-Bill
  • dagelt
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    I have lost track, are these Flooded Cell batteries or AGM/Sealed type batteries?

-Bill

I have AGM batteries.

I have just purchased a TriMetric TM-2025A battery monitor system and maybe this will help give me and you all some information that will help you guys help me. You will have to give me a week or so to intall and give data.
  • dagelt
    Options

bryanl, does this sound correct? anyone else can reply also.....???
    OK so if I use your example then

245Ah * 12 volts = 2940
    2940 * 12 batteries (total in bank) = 35280 watt hours
    35280 / 2 (50% discharge) = 17640 watt hours

Or

245 * 48 volts = 11760
    11760 * 3 (strings) = 35280 watt hours
    35280 / 2 (50% Discharge) = 17640 watt hours

so I have close to enough battery bank for 18000 watt/hours? I did mean to but watt/hours in one of my earlier post not watts..... Sorry to all. I will edit now.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Basic battery math:

Batteries wired in series ( plus to minus) adds Voltage but not Amp hours.
    Batteries wired in parallel (plus to plus, minus to minus) adds Amp hours but not Voltage.

Battery Watt hours is roughly equivalent to usable Amp hours (i.e. totally capacity * DOD) times system Voltage.

Four 12 Volt, 245 Amp hour batteries in series equals 245 Amp hours @ 48 Volts nominal.
    Three such strings in parallel is 735 Amp hours @ 48 Volts nominal.
    At a maximum Depth Of Discharge of 50% you have roughly 367.5 Amp hours @ 48 Volts nominal.
    That translates to approximately 17,640 Watt hours.

This is not a precise calculation, as different batteries have different discharge efficiencies. Your bank would start at approximately 50.8 Volts and slide down to 48.24 Volts. As power is drawn from batteries their Voltage goes down. As the Voltage goes down the rate of current draw (Amps) goes up to maintain a fix Wattage output.

Also the above calculations do not take into account system losses through wiring and inverter inefficiency. Include those (which depend on your particular system) and it might drop as low as 13,000 "for real" Watt hours available.
  • niel
    Options
    bryanl, does sound correct? anyone else can reply also.....???

if you are looking for a democratic vote on that, you have a yea from me.:roll::p
  • dagelt
    Options

Well with all of the information you guys have been giving me and yesterday when I measured my battery bank cables lengths to give to you all.... it looked like the bottom 2 strings had longer positive and negative cables going to my buss bars. So today with not wind and very little sun light I removed all the cables to see if they were the same length..... well they were not. The 3 positive cables were +/- 12" from each other and the negative were +/- 18" from each other.
    I had some help wiring this part of the project.... my father in law. I did the high work and he did the ground work..... I guess he did not know how to wire a battery bank either....???
    Well tomorrow I will take the cables back to the parts store and get them the same length and maybe this will make a big change in the performance of my battery bank.
    I will let you know and thanks for all the help.

I have posted some pic's in my album if anyone wants to see my project.
  • BB.
    Options

Each cable does not need to be the same length or even in the same relative position.

Just the same over all length per string for same resistance path.

-Bill
  • keyturbocars
    Options

David,

I just looked through all the pictures in your album. Very impressive. You did a lot of hard work! You're braver than I am to climb those tall towers. How tall are they?

Nice work!

Edward
  • niel
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Each cable does not need to be the same length or even in the same relative position.

Just the same over all length per string for same resistance path.

-Bill

bb is right on this as all of your - cables are of equal length, therefore acceptable as far as balance goes. you just wouldn't want one 12 inches and another 20 inches as they should match each other in that polarity, but at the risk of confusing you it can still be different if the opposite polarity compensates. for instance in paralleling 2 12v batteries, one battery to be paralleled has a 12in + and an 18in - cable. the other battery is in balance with a 18in + cable and a 12in - cable all of the same gauge.

if you can still fit and use the shorter - cables then go for it as this will lower the resistance overall and improve your efficiency by that little bit.