Morningstar TriStar TS-45 questions

XRinger
XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
I'm building a small 48v battery back-up system to run three 300w sump pumps, using inverters.
The batteries are four Duralast Marine-RV 27DP-DL 119 AH.

I've ordered a TS-45 and have a few questions..

1. Is the RS-232 cable a DB-9 1-to-1 pinout? Or is it a Modem-eliminator type, with crossed lines?

2. I would like make an RTS.. Thermistors are cheap, if I knew the specs. Are the specs online?

Now the hard one.. I have a choice of two PV arrays.

One is 500w on a tracker, it puts out 6 to 7 A at 66 to 70 volts under load (10 ohms). Open is 70 to 85v. A bit over 500w when it's cold.

The other is a fixed 400w array (two CS6P-200) that put out ~6A at 57v,
into a 10 ohm load. Open is 69v.
(These are brand new and I don't have real good data on them yet).

3. The TS-45 manual says..
• Min. voltage to operate 9 V
• Max. solar array Voc 125 V
• Max. operating voltage 68 V

It seems like my 400w 57v array might not have the voltage(&watts) to perform Equalization on a 48v bank..

And it also seems like the 500w array is going to exceed the Max. operating voltage 68v on cool sunny days..

Which array would be the best choice?
Or, did I screw up and buy the wrong charge controller? :blush:

Thanks for any help,
Rich

Comments

• westyd1982
    westyd1982 Solar Expert Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Re: Morningstar TriStar TS-45 questions

68 volts should be the maximum battery bank voltage (you are at 48 v) and 125 volts should be the maximum voltage from the PV array (your numbers look to be below this also). It looks like it will work fine.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

"a small 48v battery back-up system to run three 300w sump pumps"?
    That's 900 watts worth of pumps. 900 watts, not including system losses.
    Depending on how much these pumps will be expected or required to run, a successful system may end up being what many would not consider small. Not being sarcastic in any way, just hoping all things have been considered. Wanting you to have a successful and well working system.
  • XRinger

300 watts is low for 120ac sump pumps. These are the greenest AC pumps (for the money) I could find at the time.

http://www.sumppumpsdirect.com/Basement-Watchdog-BW1033-Sump-Pump/p2475.html

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f147/Xringer/NCL/2newpumps.jpg

I'm adding three new pumps. Based on what I've seen over the years using a single sump pump, the worse case flooding leads to a 30% duty cycle.
    Because of their locations, These 3 new pumps will most likely have a much lower duty cycle. Perhaps low as 10% during normal flooding.
    Most of the time, the ground water comes up very slowly and refills the hole very slowly after it's been pumped out.

In this area, almost all power black-outs that occur during rainy days, don't last more than an hour or two. Most are less than an hour.

Historically, the longer blackouts occur with ice-storms, when basement flooding is never a problem.

What I want is the ability to automatically or semi-automatically keep AC on these pumps.
    If I get can get an hour out of the solar back-up, I'll be happy.

If for some reason, the grid stays off too long, then I'll go to Plan-B, and roll out the 5kw gas generator.

Edit:
    I forgot to say, I've got a city-water powered back-up for the main (hi-amp) pump.
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f147/Xringer/D004.jpg
    Which actually works better than the AC pump..

Cheers,
    Rich
  • XRinger
    westyd1982 wrote: »
    68 volts should be the maximum battery bank voltage (you are at 48 v) and 125 volts should be the maximum voltage from the PV array (your numbers look to be below this also). It looks like it will work fine.

Looks like I made a mistake reading the manual.

• Min. voltage to operate 9 V (DC from the battery).
    • Max. solar array Voc 125 V (DC from the PV).
    • Max. operating voltage 68 V (DC from the TS-45 sent to the battery)

Is that right? If so, I can safely use the 500w tracking array (66 to 70v)..

Thanks,
    Rich
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your arrays barely will recharge the batteries. (7A@65V = 7.8A@58V for a 120A battery) - Which is good, as it looks like they will be on float most of the time ??
    Only run pumps in rain ? not daily ?

What inverter will you be using to power the pumps ? 3 inverters or just 1 ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• XRinger
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Your arrays barely will recharge the batteries. (7A@65V = 7.8A@58V for a 120A battery) - Which is good, as it looks like they will be on float most of the time ??
    Only run pumps in rain ? not daily ?

What inverter will you be using to power the pumps ? 3 inverters or just 1 ?

I plan to load the bank down once in a while.. Maybe to about 80% of max charge.
    Just to keep them active, per the battery care pros.

Those pumps will only be used once or twice a year typically.
    But when they do run, they are going to save us a lot of clean up labor..

The old laptop I'm trying to use is super slow.. I'm got the cable right,
    (1-to-1), and I'm getting a connection. I just can't display the status.
    Must be doing something wrong.
    Can't believe how slow the windows update is running.. :grr

I have not decided on how to setup the inverters. I've got to run some tests,
    after I get the bank charging..

Cheers,
    Rich
  • XRinger

The cable was good, the problem was the nut behind the wheel-mouse.

charger.jpg

I like the realtime display.. Better than I expected.
  • XRinger

Well, it was sunny today and everything looks pretty good.
    Just need to discharge the bank a bit and see how well it re-charges.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f147/Xringer/Solar/charger.jpg

Doing that battery temperature compensation by hand is going to get
    difficult when the laptop isn't around.
    So, I still need to find the specs on the Thermistor. If anyone can help.?.

Thanks,
    Rich