A Bug in Blemished Panels

Here is a new one for me -- I have found a very bright and FLAT bug inside the glass of my ~blemished~ Evergreen panel. The panel seems to work just fine but the bug didn't make it. Zooom in and take a look. The open circuit voltage is fine. I have not checked the short circuit current yet.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: A Bug in Blemished Panels

i guess that's one panel that they couldn't get the bug(s) out of.:p
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

I have to say that even after many years in this business, this is the first time I have seen something like that.
  • MisterB
    MisterB Solar Expert Posts: 156 ✭✭

The bug will block a small amount of light from hitting a small percentage of the surface area of the cell and an extremely small percentage of the overall surface area of all the photovoltaic cells that make up the panel so I would guess that you might lose a little bit of current but it won't be very much--something in the ma--amps/1000--range. The bug would had have to have been big enough to completely block light from the whole cell to affect output much.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I would watch for corrosion at that point...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Question is, did it get in post production, and if so how? I would make sure I sealed any possible opening. Perhaps he hatched in the panel. (I am convinced that house flies breed while they are dead!)

Tony
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    icarus wrote: »
    .....(I am convinced that house flies breed while they are dead!)

They actually don't, but any eggs will hatch.......
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• icarus
    mike90045 wrote: »
    They actually don't, but any eggs will hatch.......

You gotta do better than that to convince me!

T
  • niel
    icarus wrote: »
    You gotta do better than that to convince me!

T

gee, i wonder what kind of drug they'd be taking to keep them going after death.:cool:
  • nvyseal
    nvyseal Solar Expert Posts: 108 ✭✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    gee, i wonder what kind of drug they'd be taking to keep them going after death.:cool:

Spanish Fly? 8) :p
  • icarus

It's the inverse of "Tribbles" Tribbles were born pregnant!

Flies bread while they are dead! That's my story and I'm stickin' to it Capt. Kirk!
  • niel
    nvyseal wrote: »
    Spanish Fly? 8) :p

good one.:D:D

that made me laugh in the wake of some personal bad news. thank you for that.