Experiences with high-wattage CFLs

techntrek
techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
Looking for people's input on experiences with high-wattage CFLs.

I have been using several 26 watt lamps (100 watt incandescent equivalent) for a few years now with no problems. One indoors, one in an unconditioned garage and one outside. These are nice because they are an all-in-one package and can run from a standard lamp socket, and provide mucho light. A bit dim at startup when its cold out but they achieve near full output in a minute or two.

A few years ago I tried a Lights-of-America 85 watt spotlight puchased at one of the big-box home supply stores. It went 30 feet up in a tree and with my fear of heights it was perfect - 10,000 hours claimed operating life so I wouldn't have to touch the thing ever again. Put out tons of light, I was happy with it. Oh wait, did they mean 100 hours? Six months later it was having trouble starting, and after a few months wouldn't start at all. I bought a replacement lamp just to see and sure enough the problem was in the ballast. Had to take the whole dang light down just to discover the ballast was sealed inside. Several attempts at getting a new ballast went nowhere so it now sits in my garage. Anyone have a unit that can take an 85 watt bulb? I'll send mine to you for postage. Or if anyone has a ballast, I'll take it. :roll:

So my tree stood empty until last night. I bought a new light, 65 watts, different company (probably the same company, new name). This one looks more like a standard mercury yard light. Noticeably less light than the last one but still tons of light. I would estimate 75% light output the first minute. I'll have to wait to see how it does when its cold. I guess I could have put it in my freezer for a test. ;) I'll make an update later on with its progress. At least if this ballast dies it comes out with a few screws and has a part name on it - I don't have to take the whole dang light down. Again.

How about you?
4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Experiences with high-wattage CFLs

I have been using a pair of 23 watt CFL's on my outdoor lanterns in front for about a year, they run about 10 hours a night on a wall switch digital timer. Bought them out of the bargain bin @ Home Depot for 2 for $1. Well satisfied so far, was replacing incandescent lamps a few times a year.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin

My first experiences with Lights of America where some 15 years ago or so... They were among the first reasonably priced CFL's on the market--and at that time--came with a screw-in ballast and a replaceable florescent tube.

Those lasted for years--But they went obsolete by the time the tubes failed (could not buy replacements).

After that, not very good luck with the standard 13-23 watt bulbs from them, for me.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    My first experiences with Lights of America where some 15 years ago or so... They were among the first reasonably priced CFL's on the market--and at that time--came with a screw-in ballast and a replaceable florescent tube.

Those lasted for years--But they went obsolete by the time the tubes failed (could not buy replacements).

After that, not very good luck with the standard 13-23 watt bulbs from them, for me.

-Bill
    Bill Was your floresent tubes circular with plugin ends to the ballast? I am still using mine and bought some extra tubes. I hope the ballast last long enough for me to use the tubes. I found out the hard way if the bulb starts flickering you better change the tube as it burnt out the ballast. I keep looking for more ballasts. 8)solarvic8)
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin

No, mine where the straight (4 tube) design. I have also used the LoA circular fixtures and they seemed to work OK.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • techntrek

Mine has straight tubes (6?) with an oversized screw-in socket. The one I just bought has 4 straight tubes with a normal screw-in socket, but the electronics are still separate.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

For outside applications where you don't want to have to change very often I prefer to use high presure sodium vapor bulbs.

Outside the perhaps downside of yellow-orange light, they are about equal to slightly greater Lumens efficiency compared to flourescent but last me two to three times longer in real world, on all night use.

I use both types outside but the one I have to get a ladder out to change is sodium vapor. For me the 35w bulb I use last about 4-5 years (12,000 hrs) versus 1.5-2 years (5000 hrs) for my four 9w flourescents, two of which are 60 Hz inductive ballast. two are high freq electronic ballast. All controlled by light sensor, dusk to dawn active.

I power factor corrected all including the 60Hz inductive ballasts flourescents, not because it make economic sense, but because I run them on my whole house inverter backup during hurricane power outage. When we were without power for over a week a couple of times it really gets to my neighbors. :)
  • techntrek

I did have sodium vapor - good light output, but the orange light just didn't work for me. Since I don't do dusk-to-dawn a shorter lifespan hopefully will be a non-issue. I just hope this one lasts longer than 6 months.

Between my genset and whole-house inverter (22 kw battery bank) I like to leave my outside lights on during outages, too. < evil grin >
  • blackswan555
    blackswan555 Solar Expert Posts: 246 ✭✭

You may want to have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_halide_lamp very similar to sodium`s but a white light, As with all ballasted lamps, do the amps x volts to get real power, not watts,

Have a good one
    Tim
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    solarvic wrote: »
    I found out the hard way if the bulb starts flickering you better change the tube as it burnt out the ballast. 8)solarvic8)
    Different type of florescent, but same thing. Where I once worked I found the same thing with the then standard 8' fixtures. Finally figured it out. As the tube aged, finally the electrode in one end would fail, resulting in rectification. Apparently the ballast transformers didn't appreciate the DC currents. Wonder why. :p
  • dgsloan
    dgsloan Registered Users Posts: 22

I have been using a high wattage CFL in my front porch light for about three years = lights up the whole street. When I first installed it - it would not light if the weather got too cold. It was a pain for the first winter. After a complete summer the bulb would light every time during the next winter = some sort of break in period. My porch light is a standard model with venting at the bottom and a small vent at the top. I would suggest for the first year you get a socket extension so that you can plug in a small night light which has enough heat and does not use many watts to get the high wattage CFL fired up = Hope this helps
  • techntrek

So far my new CFL is holding up. Starts right up even when its "cold", which so far hasn't been all that cold. Today is the first day we got a good hard freeze, woke up to 20 F, but it was bright enough outside when I left this morning that I didn't need the outside lights. A startup in a good cold soak will have to wait a little longer.