Ok here is my first attempt to have solar

I have an 800W inverter 24vdc to 120vac from Statpower (Prowatt 800), a 12vdc deep cycle marine battery, and a 45 watt solar panel from Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/45-watt-solar-panel-kit-90599.html?utm_source=retail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4610a

Is there any way to convert my 24vdc/120vac inverter to 12vdc/120vac? this is a brand new unit but it is about 12 years old. At the time they made 12 and 24 volt models using the same circuit board and casing. As a matter of fact on the board there are (4) 15A fuses and printed on the board says" use 30A fuse for 12vdc" and "use 15A fuse for 24vdc". Other than change the fuses what would I need to do?
Regards,
Tom

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Ok here is my first attempt to have solar
    Tom4 wrote: »
    what would I need to do?

Dump the HF panel for a real panel.

The HF panels are little more than toy panels. :cry: Sorry.

Some component changes on the circuit board would be needed, fuse was only marked because a person might need to replace it.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Dump the HF panel for a real panel.

The HF panels are little more than toy panels. :cry: Sorry.

Some component changes on the circuit board would be needed, fuse was only marked because a person might need to replace it.

Criticism works well for you but a suggestion would work better for me...jus sayin.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum,. Please don't take Mikes comment wrong, but HF panels are POS.

That said, to answer your question, I don't think there is an reasonable way to run your inverter from 12 vdc. Sell the 24 and get a 12.

Just for the record, you have a lot of inverter for a tiny amount of PV. Under ideal, stress the ideal, circumstances, your 45 watt panel might produce 90 watt hours of power per day! That is enough to light a 15 watt CFL for 6 hours. My guess is the HF panel will not even produce this on average over the course of the year.

My rule of thumb, for off grid is the 50%*4 rule.

Take the name plate rating of the PV, divide that number by 2, then multiply that number by 4 to represent the average number of hours of good sun available day in and day out. You might get more depending on location, but you are as likely to get less over a calendar year.

Just FYI, we have ~400 watts of good PV, and we, on an absolutely perfect day, generate ~1200-1500 watt hours. On an average day, we use (and generate) ~ 6-800wh.

Tony

PS There are many here who are very strong in their opinions, but that is usually a result of learning the hard way. The greatest asset of this forum is the wealth of experience here, such that newbies don't have to constantly reinvent the wheel. There are some very smart folks here, many who have forgotten more about RE than most of us will ever know.

T
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem is, folks get all jazzed up with the $300 HF kits, and find after a week the battery is dead and won't hold a charge. THEN they come to a forum, and find out that they just paid $300 for a expensive lesson. About 90% just lean the solar stuff in a corner and forget about it, and diss it to all their friends, that solar does not work ...

So if there is still $ left in the budget, the first step is to define your loads and power needs. Then we can figure how much battery and how much PV you will need to meet the requirement. Usually about 4x as much as the average person would think at first thought.

So what's a good way to educate folks - before - they spend their $ on HF stuff ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,