Wind Baron Power Flo Rectiifer

keyturbocars
keyturbocars Solar Expert Posts: 375 ✭✭
I was thinking about adding another smaller wind turbine to my system, and I was looking for a rectifier. Ran across this Power Flo rectifier from an old Wind Baron wind turbine. Based on what I could find online, this probably came from a 750W wind turbine system. I just got the rectifier with no history on where it came from.

Do any of you know anything about these wind turbines and the rectifier? Just curious.

Does anyone happen to know how to identifiy the power capability of this rectifier?

I opened it up to see if I could see some markings on the rectifier/diodes, but there is nothing visible. Might be markings on the diodes if I unscrewed them, but I don't want to start taking it apart to that level. I figure it would be good for at least 750W. I like the simplicity of it and also it has a good quality appearance to it. I like the aluminum case, the aluminum blocks the diodes screw into, and also the good sized aluminum heat sinks on top and bottom. Looks like it would keep the diode temps under control. I also like the integrated stop (short circuit) switch.

Couldn't find much about Wind Baron, but from what I can see in this rectifier, it appears they knew what they were doing. I posted this for fun and just curious more than anything if anyone knows anything about these older wind turbines and this rectifier in particular.

Thanks,

Ed

Comments

• MisterB
    MisterB Solar Expert Posts: 156 ✭✭
    Re: Wind Baron Power Flo Rectiifer

Wind Baron, if I remember rightly, was the precurser to Southwest Windpower. Look at the Flagstaff AZ on the box. I don't think they made anything as big as 750 watts. Looking at the diodes and heat sinking and wire size, it looks like a 3 phase full bridge rectifier that is probably good for at least 30 amps on the DC side. The full wattage rating would depend on the voltage rating of the diodes. They probably will be safe at least up to 24 volts which would give 30x24=720 watts on a 24 volt turbine or 30x12=360 watts on a 12 volt system.

Interesting because the early SW windpower turbines were Ford alternators put in a new housing with all the diodes in the turbine which outputed 12 or 24 volts DC and they didn't make any 3 phase turbines that I remember.

Definitely a well made and rugged piece of equipment.
  • keyturbocars

Thanks Mister B. I think I remember reading that Wind Baron was tried to buy out SWWP but then they went under financially. Or maybe, I got that backwards... maybe SWWP tried to buy out Wind Baron but things failed. I wonder if TruthSquad knows any more of the history, since he worked at SWWP.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 24 volt windbarron wind turbine that is suposed to be new and unused. I bought it on Ebay and never used it. Person that I bought it from sent a specialty concepts controler. I also have the owners manual. Model number is Wind Baron 750 XLM. The owners manual has the directions on how to make a Tower. . Looks a lot like aSWWp tower kit. It is for sale. :DSolarvic:D
  • MisterB

I've been looking at the pictures again and the box looks familiar. In 1985, I was employed for a few months in Albuquerque NM--just a few hours down I40 from Flagstaff--as a production tech for a company that specialized in survellance equipment and one of the products I worked on was a camara system that was bolted onto airplane wings. The circuit boards and the camera were put into aluminum boxes that looked a lot like this box.
  • MisterB

I've been looking at the diodes and comparing them to pictures of other diodes and I'd say my first early morning guestimation of their capacity was very much a low ball figure. It's hard to tell their exact capacity but they could be anywere from 30-100+ amp diodes. They all come in the same case and this box has some serious heat sinking.
  • keyturbocars

Thanks for the feedback MisterB. I now know that this probably came from a 24V wind turbine, and if I used it with another small turbine then I would be running with a 48V turbine. My whole system is set up as 48V, so I'd need to stick with that. Based on what I've seen with diodes in the past, it seems to me that these type of stud diodes are most likely rated for a much higher voltage and should work OK with 48V.

Any comments on how this thinking might be incorrect?

Thanks,

Edward
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

One thing to keep an eye on is the plastic hardware. Usually it does not hold up to tension and heat.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    One thing to keep an eye on is the plastic hardware. Usually it does not hold up to tension and heat.

-Bill

And if those are nylon bolts and nuts, Sunlight (UV) will quickly turn them to dust if they are exposed. For heatsinks, they should be either thermal epoxy bonded, or spring loaded bonded. If they stay cool enough ( < 130F ) nylon would work but I doubt they will be that cool.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• keyturbocars

Thanks for the feedback Bill and Mike.
  • MisterB
    Thanks for the feedback MisterB. I now know that this probably came from a 24V wind turbine, and if I used it with another small turbine then I would be running with a 48V turbine. My whole system is set up as 48V, so I'd need to stick with that. Based on what I've seen with diodes in the past, it seems to me that these type of stud diodes are most likely rated for a much higher voltage and should work OK with 48V.

Any comments on how this thinking might be incorrect?

Thanks,

Edward

I would agree. If the current capacity is high, the voltage is usually in the hundreds. Looking at it, it doesn't look to difficult to take apart the diode heat sink assembly and check the diodes. There should be some sort of part number and voltage current ratings on them.

I didn't really notice the plastic. This is not for outdoor use. The switch is an indoor switch and the box was not sealed in any way. There was a whole other department that specialized in glues and epoxies that sealed and weather proofed the airplane camaras after they left my hands. It's been a long time but I think we used teflon for such fittings but since these weren't high current devices, it might of just been enough to keep them enclosed since heat wouldn't necessarily be a problem. These camaras were mostly done for the military and all the chips inside were military grade so whatever plastic we used had to have the same temperature ratings as the electronics.