OutBack temp sensor

offgrid
offgrid Registered Users Posts: 20
Hello everyone,

Have any of you experienced the temp sensor losing it's "stick" on the battery post ? What can I do to fix ?

Thanks !

Comments

• techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Re: OutBack temp sensor

Chewing gum, duct tape, pine sap, duct tape...
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hello off..

You should be able to scrape off the old double-sided tape and replace it with new (a single-dege razor blade should be perfect for the task).

You could prob glue the sensor down with RTV/Silicone, which is good adhesive, but also easily removable should you wish to move it later.

Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • offgrid
    offgrid Registered Users Posts: 20

Thanks Vic,

I thought about the silicon, but I like the idea of scraping/replacing tape.
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    techntrek wrote: »
    Chewing gum, duct tape, pine sap, duct tape...

You forgot staples.

"Windows Hardware Auto-Detect
    New hardware found: Wood Screw."
  • blackswan555
    blackswan555 Solar Expert Posts: 246 ✭✭

I tried temp sensors on bat post and found that the heating from the charge source to the cables + post gave a very false reading compared to bat internal temp,
    At the start of charge, The post will heat a lot quicker than the internals and back your V off prematurely,
    New bit of (thin) double sided tape and on the outside of your warmest cell about half way up is my suggestion,

Have a good one
    Tim
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    dwh wrote: »
    You forgot staples.

Couldn't think of anything else witty, I was off my game that day. ;)
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried temp sensors on bat post and found that the heating from the charge source to the cables + post gave a very false reading compared to bat internal temp,

Maybe your cables are not large enough, or have some crud at the interface ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• blackswan555
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Maybe your cables are not large enough, or have some crud at the interface ?

New Rolls batteries, Rolls supplied interconnects, nuts/bolts/washers, All connections cleaned and greased on assembly, C10 charge current, Sensor placed on + internal terminal (Not on actual connection)
    Tim
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    New Rolls batteries, Rolls supplied interconnects, nuts/bolts/washers, All connections cleaned and greased on assembly, C10 charge current, Sensor placed on + internal terminal (Not on actual connection)
    Tim

I have never seen this on my system becasue I am solar and it heats up slower.
    My generator folks might see this but I doubt it. Have you tried another sensor?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• blackswan555
    Have you tried another sensor?
    No I did it as an experiment after reading somewhere the + bat post was a good place to put sensor, I confirmed results with OB temp sensor, IR digital thermometer, Glass thermometer and watching the temps and different results through wattplot, this is using charge currents up around the 200amp area though.

Have a good one
    Tim
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I did not know outback made a sensor for the terminal? Xantrex makes both and they are very different BTW.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net