What are you generating?

Comments

• AntronX
    AntronX Solar Expert Posts: 462 ✭✭
    Re: What are you generating?

376 feet of 1 AWG copper wire would cost around $700. Maybe give your power company a call about your high voltage situation?
  • Jburgess
    Jburgess Solar Expert Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

Another advantage of the larger wire is less of the power you are producing will be lost to heating the wire. With your #6 you are losing about 288 watts to the wire, with the #1 it will only be about 88 watts. The difference will not show on your Envoy as it measures power produced, but will be reflected by your power meter.

Another thing that can done to reduce the voltage is a buck/boost transformer if your utility won’t address the overvoltage condition.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

It seems by local consensus that the high line voltage is a weekend thing. Once industry and a/c hit during the week the voltage seems to peak at 252vac.

Thanks for the calculator link, it's the first time I've used it, but seen it referenced before.

The Envoy showing actual inverter production dissapoints when you see the actual meter reading you'll get paid for. So far about 10kwhrs difference.

Ralph
  • nvyseal
    nvyseal Solar Expert Posts: 108 ✭✭✭✭

July I didn't do too bad, was able to put another 246kWh in the bank
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    nvyseal wrote: »
    July I didn't do too bad, was able to put another 246kWh in the bank

WOW is there no fees attached, like meter reading, access charge, tax, Obama money! (youtube it)
  • nvyseal
    solar_dave wrote: »
    WOW is there no fees attached, like meter reading, access charge, tax, Obama money! (youtube it)

Now SHHH! dont stirr up any trouble for me.

Actually if i use just a bit of their power my bill can actually be .71 cents
  • solar_dave
    nvyseal wrote: »
    Now SHHH! dont stirr up any trouble for me.

Actually if i use just a bit of their power my bill can actually be .71 cents

:blush: LMAO! :D :cool::cool:
  • solar_dave

Another month of super hot weather with lots of cooling went by and the total paid to the utility was $55. Me likes this huge payback rate, my bill 2 years ago for the same month was like $650 without the grid tie. I hear the guys around me at work actually dread the coming of the bill this time of year.

Let's see $25ish in fees & taxes and $30 for off peak generation and we used about 375 kWh out of the bank. Much better than I expected. While I think I am slightly over built for my current loads, that will end soon with another 600 sq.ft in cooling being added.
  • Jburgess

Great job restoring the landscaping around the slab. Is the trailer parked in the garage portion?
  • solar_dave
    Jburgess wrote: »
    Great job restoring the landscaping around the slab. Is the trailer parked in the garage portion?

Yep the trailer is in the garage portion now in the street waiting on a HOA complaint. I suspect more work to be required on the landscaping, the electrician is showing up this weekend and he needs a trench to the house to attach the power. Luckily when I did the side walk I buried a piece of 4 inch drain pipe to use as a pass through under the walk. He needs a 2 inch conduit for the power line and a 1 inch for the cable TV, Internet connection, phone .... Structured cable?

One miss cause a problem, Electrical conduit was placed in the concrete too close to a window, dropped the window. Might be too close to a doorway for the subpanel, now that the window is gone a couple of sweeps and a pair bored holes in the framing can slide the panel over 2-3 ft. Framing is all 2X6 on 16" centers. Way overkill but they say they have less problems with the code guy if they stay way from 24" centers.

Here is the progress as of last night. GC will probably call in for the framing inspection today, I expect by afternoon the windows & doors will be in. I am so anxious now to get in there. (so is the wife to get me out of her house :D). Already starting to layout where stuff is going. :-)

The sequence is 7AM, 9AM, Noon, 4PM.
  • Jburgess

Looks good. Always hate waiting for the building to settle after they stack the tiles on the roof before stucco can go on.

If you might add solar panels in the future, now would be a good time to put in a conduit to your solar disconnect for that also.
  • solar_dave
    Looks good. Always hate waiting for the building to settle after they stack the tiles on the roof before stucco can go on.

If you might add solar panels in the future, now would be a good time to put in a conduit to your solar disconnect for that also.

hehe on the panel adds, already in there. Sized up the sub panel and the line to the main panel accordingly. Most of the interior wiring is in except for the Air Compressor and AC units, subpanel, main feed, Those soon as he can get the #1 four strand copper cable for the main feed. #2 was big enough but why not overkill it a bit. Pennies more to go first class.

AC guy here today, a mini split system is coming for it.

Lathe/foam for the exterior guys tomorrow to get that inspected Monday hopefully the electric will be done too.
  • Jburgess
    hehe on the panel adds, already in there. Sized up the sub panel and the line to the main panel accordingly.

I have the “other” utility and they required me to run a separate conduit from my outhouse to the solar meter and disconect. They would not let me simply back feed the existing 200 amp panel in the outhouse. But then they read my solar meter every month and list production on my utility bill.

On another note I am getting solar hot water installed in the morning.
  • solar_dave
    I have the “other” utility and they required me to run a separate conduit from my outhouse to the solar meter and disconect. They would not let me simply back feed the existing 200 amp panel in the outhouse. But then they read my solar meter every month and list production on my utility bill.

On another note I am getting solar hot water installed in the morning.

Good for you on the hot water, did you use the one I did?
  • nvyseal

So today i took a look at my past years history - August 10, 2009 - August 10, 2010. So far for a whole year i used 135kWh from the grid.

I think that's pretty good, considering when i was on grid (no solar) i had $600+ electric bills during the summer. I'm really loving solar.

I also suggest anyone in SoCal on SoCal Edison to keep a close eye on their meters and reads, They are swapping out meters, and sometimes don't read the meters right when they are taken out of service
  • jcgee88
    jcgee88 Solar Expert Posts: 154 ✭✭
    I am getting solar hot water installed in the morning.

Good for you! Details, please? What capacity? What technology?

John
  • Jburgess
    jcgee88 wrote: »
    Good for you! Details, please? What capacity? What technology?

John

It’s an open loop system, I’m in the phoenix areas so I can get by with that. It has a 40 sq. ft collector with a 80 gallon tank. It has an OG-300 rating of 2800 kWh and my utility has an incentive of $0.50 per kWh of rating. It has an electric back up as I have no gas service. I have this turned off so I can tell if the solar part can meet my needs.

The install was finished yesterday afternoon. This morning the tank started at 80 degrees and was 140 degrees at noon. That is the setting on the controller.
  • nvyseal

Hot month, using the old 5 ton air mostly daily, but i must say, Reroofing with foam roofing before installing the solar really has helped keeping the house cool, plus it's guaranteed for just about as long as the solar panels. Anyhow, i dipped into the bank 37kWh, but im cool and comfortable.
  • neelix
    neelix Registered Users Posts: 12

Well here is our 3680 system using micro inverters and Canadian Solar CS6P. I have no idea if this is good or not but have been pretty happy so far.

http://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/NhKN5248
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

9 AM Flexmax 80 charge controllers (2) read outs. Full Sun a little hazy.

Zones A & B Central Air Conditioning Compressors and Air Handlers running last night to maintain 81 degrees in the house. Outdoor daytime temperature running 95-100 degrees and nightime 83-85 degrees.

Screen Displays:

"A" Bank

In 56.6 V 33.3 A
    Out 52.0 V 35.3 A
    1,850 KW 3.4 KWH

"B" Bank

57.8 V 36.8 A
    53.2 V 39.3 A
    2,100 KW 3.8 KWH
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • Ravs
    Ravs Registered Users Posts: 13

36.4 kwh on the first sunny day since I went "live".
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to know, but now I don't.

The New charge controller, I cant read the logs downloaded from it.

Morningstar 60A MPPT. I can view logs while I'm connected with the laptop, but looking at the .XML log file it saves on the computer, it's just header info, no data.

Anyone have suggestions ??

Mike
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• solar_dave

Is it paying off? Me thinks so.

Last year we commissioned the system in May 2009 and had no banking of hours. This year the banking of hours has pretty much reduced us to about a $20 off peak per month generation charge. Our on peak bank is still over 2000 Kwh. Next year should be even better as we have added about 2150 watts more capacity this May 2010.

Now we shall see what the pay back at year end brings for the excess @0.065 per Kwh.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Hello Dave. That sounds good, and you say your increasing your capacity.More power to ya. On another note I was talking to an installer for a solar co. at the supply house and he mentioned that so cal Edison on a grid hook up will not pay you for any power you generate over and above your usage. Have you heard about this ?
    Thanks
    mtchammer1
  • solar_dave
    mtchammer1 wrote: »
    Hello Dave. That sounds good, and you say your increasing your capacity.More power to ya. On another note I was talking to an installer for a solar co. at the supply house and he mentioned that so cal Edison on a grid hook up will not pay you for any power you generate over and above your usage. Have you heard about this ?
    Thanks
    mtchammer1

There are others here that deal with so cal Edison, my utility is Arizona Public Service. I think I read some where here they have changed that to a similar plan as APS. Perhaps BB will pipe up.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I am in Northern California (PG&E).

The California system was setup for homeowners to basically zero out their bill--It was specifically designed to prevent people from "profiting" from installing a solar GT system on their homes/property.

The new program appears to be paying off at a wholesale rate--not even really taking into account the Time of Use differences.

But each implementation is very utility specific... Check with your utility or local installer for details that would affect your system choices/design.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • nvyseal
    mtchammer1 wrote: »
    Thanks
    mtchammer1

I am also a SCE customer. As of last October, Assembly bill 920AB allows residential generators to receive compensation for any surplus generated in their calendar year. You can read about it here: http://www.sce.com/customergeneration/nem-ab920.htm

Now I don't know how tight a proposed proposition 23 (campaign to suspend AB32) is tied it this http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/sep/30/prop-23-battle-heats-up
  • solar_dave

yeah I hate that profiting argument, they should pay back at least a wholesale rate as they are selling off your excess at a retail rate, most likely a TOU rate, with almost zero cost to them. OK they have metering and infrastructure to cover. :grr
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    yeah I hate that profiting argument, they should pay back at least a wholesale rate as they are selling off your excess at a retail rate, most likely a TOU rate, with almost zero cost to them. OK they have metering and infrastructure to cover. :grr
    Most utilities break out the cost of distribution and energy costs.

I believe that here (SDG&E) the distribution cost is 8-9c/kWh and the energy costs varies between 4-5c/kWh to 20-25c/kWh.

I agree that at a minimum excess generation should be compensated at stated energy costs - arguably it should include a bit of distribution as PV tends to reduce distribution costs as your excess generation usually gets used by your neighbors.
  • nvyseal

we've had some really crazy weather here the last few days, but today was really weird. Rain, Lightning, clouds, sun. I happened to look at what i generated today, and was surprised. Is it possible for a 4.7 system to generate 9.29kWh for a period of 15 minutes? My poor fronius 5100 probably was choking! :p