Generator Shed

bobdog
bobdog Solar Expert Posts: 192 ✭✭
I am curious what folks use to store and run their generators in? I've seen the plastic garden sheds used as gen sheds but not sure if they work or not. Has anyone used them? What else? Thanks.

Tim

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Generator Shed

Of course it depends on the generator; a really big one needs a really big shed.

I have a 8x10' cedar "garden shed" that houses mine, plus a bunch of tools and such. And a small inverter set-up for light at night (just in case) and running other things. It's a small shed for a small gen: Honda 2000. But the big 5kW was in there as well (not used anymore - moved to new house). I just open the door when the generator is running with the exhaust pointed out. But a bigger unit would need a more complex set-up for exhausting.

Plastic shed? For storage, perhaps. But there could be issues with heat from some units. The Honda, not so much; even the exhaust is cool-ish on it. The bigger one would definitely cause problems.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Also look at your genset as a source of ignition and fuel... Only store a genset with stuff that you could "afford" to lose in a fire (if that ever happens). Your solar array on top of your generator shack--Run the risk of losing everything at once.

Fires are rare--It is up to you the level of risk you will accept.

Fuel vapors, exhaust gasses, oil, etc. are all hard on materials--Storing things with your genset will be an issue too.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

8" slab, 8'x12' wood frame 3 sides and roof. Open eves. Side 4: chain link gate
    6hp 3Kw listeroid genset. Steel pipe in 2x6 roof beams as an engine hoist. Going to be bolting the beast to the slab next month. Space to work and space for ventilation.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You really should not need a generator in New Mexico. Maybe a little roll around thing that gets used in the storm of the century. More solar!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

Mike,
    Do you really want to bolt your beast down? Thinking about vibration and noise transference, would it be better to isolate it from the pad?

I'm thinking big rubber feet. My big 10kw diesel unit sits on a few rubber truck wheel splash mats (not the best but ok). As long as what you're trying to quiet deflects or mushes your isolating medium then you cut out the vibration passing through to the concrete pad.

Ralph
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ralph Day wrote: »
    Mike,
    Do you really want to bolt your beast down? Thinking about vibration and noise transference, would it be better to isolate it from the pad?

Apparently, even the original 1930's listers, required a cubic meter concrete block for mounting. It's a single cylinder, 1600cc diesel with 300lb of flywheel. If it budges even 20 mils, it tears the frame and bolts apart. Engineering a resilant mount for 1800# of engine, in the past, has proven very difficult.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

Yikes!
    If you're going to have to bolt it down perhaps isolating the building from the concrete (build outside of the pad) would be in order. I used Red Head A7 adhesive on my microFIT project, 3/4 threaded rod embedded 6.75inches to anchor the framing. The product information sheets on line were helpful and contained all information necessary to make decisions about their use (vibration expected and such).

I would have thought the old Listers were better balanced than what you described. Don't forget, Tony has one for anyone who wants to get to his island in Quetico and take it away. IT's a tempting thought until you try to get a barge, crane, truck etc.:p

Ralph
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

Ours is on a 6" poured slab outdoors about four feet off the ground (hillside genny pad) next to solar mechanical room (inverters and batteries). Keeps dirt out of unit.

Conduit runs from the genny into the solar room.

We have a weatherproof sound accentuated cover. No problems and very quiet (1800 rpm propane unit). Frame is bolted to slab.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

I started with a 5 1/2 inch pad 7X10 feet, with a shed roof, next to the power room. Eventhough the genset was very quiet, in its sound-attenuated weather resistant enclosure, decided to build a wood framed building around it, with generous ventilation.

A friend put his 5.5 Kw genset at the door end of ths 20 foor cargo container which contains his power system, a bit of a fire risk.

It is wise to consider fire risks, as BB mentioned, as it may be one of the largest sources of fire danger you will have.

Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

Underground concrete shed aka The Bunker. Main reason for going underground was to keep the batteries at a constant temp in hot summers and sub zero winters. Had problems with ventilation when running the gen in summer, had to knock a hole in the roof and install an extractor fan and also punch a few more ventilation holes in the door. After 2 hours runtime, indoor temp is raised by 10 degrees C. Should be perfect for winter running - not so great for summer, but then I don't plan to run it in summer once we have solar.

shed2.jpg