Solar Leasing in South Florida

Options
tonystewart
tonystewart Solar Expert Posts: 54 ✭✭
Good day

Well my letter had no reply and my phone calls are unreturned so it appears SureTemp Manufacturing is no longer an option. Please see thread for details.

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=9146

Are there any companies in the US who lease systems to South Floridians?

Looking to reduce my fpl 50% and at 65 kwh day average I feel it needs to be at or near 8 kw grid tie. Alot of lead in was already completed (site survey).

Thank you for your time

T

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Solar Leasing in South Florida

Do the insulation and then see what you need ....
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options

Looking at PVWatts for Miami FL, 8kW system, rest defaults:
    "Station Identification"
    "City:","Miami"
    "State:","Florida"
    "Lat (deg N):", 25.80
    "Long (deg W):", 80.27
    "Elev (m): ", 2
    "PV System Specifications"
    "DC Rating:"," 8.0 kW"
    "DC to AC Derate Factor:"," 0.770"
    "AC Rating:"," 6.2 kW"
    "Array Type: Fixed Tilt"
    "Array Tilt:"," 25.8"
    "Array Azimuth:","180.0"

"Energy Specifications"
    "Cost of Electricity:"," 9.0 cents/kWh"

"Results"
    "Month", "Solar Radiation (kWh/m^2/day)", "AC Energy (kWh)", "Energy Value ($)"
    1, 4.61, 811, 72.99
    2, 5.42, 866, 77.94
    3, 5.69, 1009, 90.81
    4, 6.20, 1048, 94.32
    5, 5.63, 959, 86.31
    6, 5.25, 856, 77.04
    7, 5.51, 935, 84.15
    8, 5.54, 943, 84.87
    9, 5.17, 841, 75.69
    10, 5.06, 867, 78.03
    11, 4.55, 774, 69.66
    12, 4.54, 806, 72.54
    "Year", 5.26, 10714, 964.26

If you get a quote at $5 a Watt installed and 30% federal tax credit--$5*0.7=$3.5/watt installed price. Assume 20 year spread of costs and you have to replace 1 10kW inverter for $5,000--your $$/kWH pricing:
    • (8,000W*$3.50/W + $5,000 maintenance) / (20yr * 10,714 kWHperyr) = $0.154 per kWH
    And, from the other thread, it looks like your current power costs are around $0.13 per kWH...

The above does not include any loans or other fees/taxes.

And does Florida charge property taxes on your array (some states do)?

If your area does not have true net metering, then you may only get paid ~$0.06 per kWH or so (wholesale power rates).

So--at this point, you are around the break even point for the cost of off-grid power, And an important factor is going to be how your billing details works out with your local utility (wholesale vs retail payments for your "extra power").

I don't know what is going to happen in your area--But in California we have true net metering (one meter, and a retail credit for excess power generated, perhaps a new program with $0.06 per kWH at the end of the year for any excess power generated).

But, all of the rebates/net metering/subsidized smaller user costs and other social power programs comes at a cost--We have peak power rates (above roughly 1,000 kWH per month) of $0.40 to $0.58 per kWH (flat rate vs seasonal time of use).

So--you can look at one possible future and decide if/when solar GT will make sense to you.

Also, you can look at "extreme" conservation at what you can save at $0.15 per kWH for solar vs even $0.40+ per kWH for power.

I understand that your have a large home and are way under the power usage of your neighbors... But I keep coming back to looking at the costs and avoid costs of solar and conservation.

If the returns are not possible with conservation--then GT solar will be your next best investment to address future power increases.

Solar Leasing throws more confusion at the issue--But putting everything in a spread sheet and looking at how long you are going to remain in your current home (looking 15-20 years in advance--kids gone, moving to smaller home, following jobs, etc.)... It is a difficult decision.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • tonystewart
    Options
    Do the insulation and then see what you need ....

Already in the appointment book for next year Insulstar Plus for the attic ceiling. Doing it after the PV install to seal holes. Used up all my tax credits ($1500)with the new A/C's this year. Hope the goverment extends the program. Solar PV & Water are 30% until 2014 so I want to get in on it now.

Any recommendations for leasing?
  • tonystewart
    Options

Thanks BB

I have site survey for my location, orientation & no shading.

Palm Beach County does not charge property taxes for soalr improvements.

So who in South Florida Finances? I called a bunch of them and they are not at this time.

FPL pays half back once per year

We expect another 20 years in this home. I realize the kids thing that is why I am hoping to get to 50 kwh. Someday.

If the lease works we are willing..IF
  • AntronX
    AntronX Solar Expert Posts: 462 ✭✭
    Options

Did you look into solar water heating?
  • tonystewart
    Options

Currently we have
    1-4' x 10' Chromagen attached to an 80 gallon GE 12 year warranty water heater
    for the house 141 degrees is the average temp at 5pm
    1-4' x 8' Chromagen attached to the 50 Gallon GE 12 year warranty water heater
    for the master bath 144 degrees is the average at 5 pm
    Both units use DC Laing Pumps & 20 watt solar panels,
    All copper tubing is heavily insulated
    Both Water Heaters have Timer Clocks in case it rains for a week straight but are turned off. Thermostats are set to 110 degrees F
    All 3 showers have water saving shower heads.
    New (1 week old) Kitchenaid Dishwasher is very energy efficient & quiet (41db)
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

I have a 4.2 KW PV system, solar domestic hot water, and solar pool heating. You can monitor my system at http://bbbrown.mysolarlog.com/ and read about our installation at http://www.bbbrown.com/ . We live in Palm Beach County also. If you have any questions about our system you can PM me here.

Bob