Wiring Panels

Options
With54
With54 Registered Users Posts: 21
I have 3 X 50 watt panels, 2 x 100 watt and 1 x120 watt. Can they be connected to become a 24 volt system? What is the best way to do so?

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Wiring Panels

We need to know the voltage and amps from the sticker on each panel:
    Vmax power:
    I max:
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• AntronX
    AntronX Solar Expert Posts: 462 ✭✭
    Options

I assume you got PWM controller and all panels have Vmp = 18V.

Connect 3x 50W panels together in parallel, then connect them in series with 120W panel. That gives you the current of 6.7A at 22 - 29V range, equaling 148W - 194W measured at the battery depending on it's state of charge. The other two 100W panels connect in series for total of 5.6A and similarly as above, 124W - 162W. Then parallel these two resultant strings. Here is the formula for what i mean: (50x50x50 + 120) x (100+100). The "x" means parallel, the "+" means series connections.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

And the short answer is probably you cannot do it very well or cheaply...

With most solar charge controllers, you need to properly match the Vmp/Imp (within ~10%) in series/parallel setup so that the Vmp of the array is >32 volts or so for proper battery charging.

With pairs of "12 volt panels" (really ~17.5 volt Vmp panels)--You can put pairs of them in series to get ~Vmp=35 volts.

And with MPPT type charge controllers, you can run the Vmp of the array around 35-100 VDC (for the larger, more expensive charge controllers). However, the Vmp of all the individual panel series strings need to match their Vmp too (you cannot put a 12 volt + 35 volt + 49 volt mix of Vmp together in parallel and expect very efficient power output to charge the battery bank).

In some cases, where you have 8 of one brand of panels and 8 of another brand/model of panels, it may be worth while to purchase 2 different solar charge controllers to connect in parallel and charge the same battery bank.

But, for your smaller panels, it may make more economic sense to purchase a couple new high power/higher voltage panels and a good MPPT charge controller.

Otherwise, the best you can probably do is, assuming all panels have Vmp~17 volts:
    • connect the two 100 watt panels in series
    • connect three of the 50 watt panels in parallel (make a 150 watt panel)--And connect those three in series with the 120 Watt panel.
    It may work OK behind a PWM or MPPT controller.

If you are concerned about fire (shorted panel or wiring)--You should place fuses in each of the positive leads of the 50 watt panels that is equal to ~2*Isc (2x short circuit current rating of panels).

The above is probably the cheapest way you can get your system running... It won't make 370 watts output because of the power mismatches--but it should come reasonably close (again, assuming these are all Vmp~17 volt or so panels).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • With54
    With54 Registered Users Posts: 21
    Options

THank you for the feedback. Am I better off leaving them as individual panels and bringing them together in a combiner box? I have a MPPT charge controller.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

You need to wire them in series/parallel to charge a 24 volt battery bank (assuming they are ~17.x volt panels).

The Combiner Box is typically where the fuses or breaker reside... For something like yours? I am not sure if a commercial combiner box makes sense because they normally are designed to bus the wires together for your +/- bus connections (as I understand---My system is a Grid Tied so my experience does not cover the details of these setups).

Is it worth ~$100 for a DIN box plus $xx dollars per breaker/fuse per circuit? Is this system going to be "good enough" with a home made wooden box where you make your own 12 volt automotive fuse connections and such? Really your call.

The problem with "mixing" various panels together like this is there is not cheap, nice, and easy to code way of doing this stuff (that I see--others may be able to give you a better answer).

If this is a 12 volt system--then you could put all of the panels in series and connect them behind a PWM controller... Use a combiner box for the protective devices (you need different ones for each size of panel)--again assuming all panels are "12 volt" panels.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset