Inverter Settings for 48 Volt Systems Series-Stacked

Options
muirhouse
muirhouse Solar Expert Posts: 82 ✭✭
I have 2 Xantrex 4048 stacked inverters and two 350 amp hour 8 battery strings, a 48volt system. A 62.5 A 15KW generator. There is a setting for the Max Charge Amps under the Battery Charging Menu that I need to double check. It says to take 10 percent of the total battery amp hours, divide it by 1.75 which equates to 20, but to halve the amp hour in the calculation for stacked inverters, which would mean my setting would be 10. I have been running it at a 30 setting on both inverters! Does anyone have experience with stacked settings.

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Inverter Settings for 48 Volt Systems Series-Stacked

hi again muirhouse,

I have a little experience. But thanks for noting what the manual says, as my off-grid site is miles away.

So, 2 X 350 AH = 700 AH, divided by 1.75 = 400. 400 divided 10 is 40. 40/2 = 20.

Think that my inverters are each set at about 33 Amps, as I am looking at charging at about 150 + Amps from the inverters. One inverter (always the lower one in the stack) lags the other in charge current. If you have a shunt in the negetive side of the battery bank, you can easily monitor the charge current.

I am simply using the info you provided, and have forgotten exactly what the manual says. Sorry that is all I have ... Good Luck. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • muirhouse
    Options

Thanks Vic.

So I would be charging at 40 amps really, and should use that calculation in how long to set my absorption time for. If I did that, it would be set to 3.6 hours, using Surrettes formula t-.42*c/i. t=time, c=20 hour ah cap, i=current. Does the jive with any setting you are using?
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have two stacked SW4048 and two stacked SW5548+'s.

For generator, if you have direct wiring, you can set max AC input on AC2 to 60 amps.

I do a power in / efficiency / power out calculation. SW's only measure AC side current so the actual battery charger current will be a function of battery voltage.

At Max charger AC input set to 30 amps the input power will be 120vac * 30 amps = 3600 watts. Inverter effficiency at this power level is about 89% so output power to battery will be 3600 watts X 0.89 = 3200 watts.

If battery voltage is 49.5 vdc then charging DC amps will be about 3200w/49.5v = 65 amps. At absorb voltage of 57.2vdc then current drops to 3200w/57.2v = 56 amps.

In a stacked configuration you will not likely get two times this number, particularly as the battery voltage gets near absorb setting. The two inverter will fake each other out on the battery voltage and throw current between inverters. You can observe this with a clip on dc amp meter looking at each individual inverter DC feed.

For 700 AH battery pushing bulk current at 105 amps to 140 amps should be okay, just make sure one string is not taking too much over the other. When the battery SOC is below 80% the higher current is okay and then by default, the SW's will back down the delivered DC amps as the battery voltage rises since they are regulating AC input current.

Loading the generator at about 85% of rating will give you best fuel efficiency without stressing the generator too much.

The SW's will automatically back off on charging if more power is needed for ACout loads.
  • muirhouse
    Options

RCinFLA -
    Thank you so much for this reply. This helps alot. Will try these settings, as I think I have gen amps set way to low, confusing when and where the additive component of stacking applied and when it did not. Thanks!
    Jan
  • Vic
    Options

YES, RCinFLA,

Thanks a lot. I seldom charge from either genset, and have never EQed from the gen, so am usually just ditzing around wiith charger menu settings. Am only able to monitor the Charge I with the Shunt in the DC Conduit box.

Also good advice on watching the battery string currents

Thanks, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • RCinFLA
    Options

If you have multiple parallel battery strings a clip on DC ampmeter is good to have to check balance on the parallel strings. Also good if you have PV panels. Makes it easy to check panel current and panel Isc.

Sears has a fair meter for the $60. Believe it is same as Exeltech MA220 which is $100.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03482369000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2
  • Vic
    Options

Hi RC,

Thanks again for the info on the COAmmeter. I should get one, but have been a bit concerned about the long-term accuracy of these inexpensive meters. But it would be easy to check the calibration from time-to-time.

Just one string here, but it sure would be nice to be able to check each string's current contribution.

Thanks, Vic
  • muirhouse
    Options

RCinFLA,

Ok, electrician visit today, and we wish to doublecheck a couple of things. A caution on the side of the sw4048 says: Battery charger can draw up to 35 amps of the 65 amp AC input, charging at its max rate. How to interpret, make any sense of this?

So, my tentative plan is to set Gen (AC2) Amps to 60 on both 4048 (controls genset) and 4048plus inverters, leave Max Charge Amps Ac at 30 for both inverters, and monitor, since my SOC like you say is currently less than 80%, breaking in new batteries, a few problems.

You said if you have direct wiring, set AC2 to 60 - what do you mean by direct wiring?

Thanks Again - J
  • RCinFLA
    Options
    muirhouse wrote: »
    RCinFLA,

Ok, electrician visit today, and we wish to doublecheck a couple of things. A caution on the side of the sw4048 says: Battery charger can draw up to 35 amps of the 65 amp AC input, charging at its max rate. How to interpret, make any sense of this?

So, my tentative plan is to set Gen (AC2) Amps to 60 on both 4048 (controls genset) and 4048plus inverters, leave Max Charge Amps Ac at 30 for both inverters, and monitor, since my SOC like you say is currently less than 80%, breaking in new batteries, a few problems.

You said if you have direct wiring, set AC2 to 60 - what do you mean by direct wiring?

Thanks Again - J

Max rating for relays in SW is 60 amps. When I say direct wiring I mean that the largest AC plug for generator is 50 amps (NEMA L14-50R) so if you have a 15 kW gen at 62 amps max you need to have direct wiring into generator.

Yes, at maximum charge setting, the charging will draw 33 amps from AC input. That is the max for the 4kW inverter.

There is max AC input setting, that should be set to you gen limit, and there is max charging AC input input current setting that determines max charging.

The charging will automatically back off when ACout requires a greater part of the AC input to keep load on gen below the AC2 max current setting.
  • muirhouse
    Options

Got it, many thanks.
    Jan
  • muirhouse
    Options

RCinFla

Re the concern of one string not taking more than the other, why would this be happening if the wiring is series AND parallel; I thought this made both strings present as one to the inverters. This is where the bulk of my confusion lies, really, as I had assumed that parallel wiring then meant that the control of each inverter to one battery string disappeared.

This is obviously not completely true, but where to draw the line. For example your concern above, and my lack of understanding of why the non generator controlling inverter (the 4048plus) goes to float much more quickly than the 4048 controlling the genset. This does not seem to represent a cooling down period I don't think, as the bulk amps 57.6 doesn't seem to trigger going to float. Should i just let it keep running until the gen controlling inverter reaches float? I think it may just be timing out, not going to float at all. If I try to set absorption time to 0, to get a clearer picture, but the inverter just turns the generator on then right off at that 0 setting.

This is complicated also by the fact that the battery charging settings on the 4048plus are not the same as the 4048, leaving out Absorption Time, and adding:
    • Bulk Done Amps AC setting ("this is the AC current threshold where the battery charger transfers from Absorption Charging to Finish Charging, recommended setting at 2 - 4% of total AH capacity, 1/2 battery that for stacked" - which would be between 7 and 14 amps), AND
    • EQ/Vdc Done Timer ("max time allowed at EQ Volts DC setting")
    • Max Bulk/EQ Timer ("max time in Bulk mode or EQ mode, from begin charge time)"
    • Temp Comp

So what do I set for absorption time on the SWPlus? This is not clear. I could understand better if the MaxBulk Timer had a MIN time to keep it in charge, that would be more like the sw's absorption setting.

I upped the gen amps and that worked fine (tried 50 amps on each inverter first, since I am jumping up from 30). -J
  • RCinFLA
    Options

There is not too much difference between regular SW4048 and SWplus4048 other then SWplus has less features, like included gen start. (go figure where is the 'plus' in the plus model).

There is one extra feature of plus over regular SW in regard to charging. The plus has an extra absorb phase feature. Plus model can be set to switch to float after absorb current drops to a settable absorb finished level (menu 12F, default is 10 amps AC or about 19 amps into batteries @ 57.2 vdc absorb voltage). A reasonable setting is 2% to 5% of battery AH rating (convert DC current to AC input current for setting).

Menu 12F is called Bulk Done Amps (AC) but should more appropriately be called Absorb Done Amps. In traditional three stage charging, first phase is constant current called Bulk, second phase of constant elevated voltage called Absorb, and third phase of constant voltage called float or maintain. During the Absorb second phase the voltage is held at the elevated level while the charging current required by battery exponentially drops off from the beginning bulk current.

Some call a forth stage Equalize but this is a maintanance mode that should only be done every one to four months to ensure all cells get fully charged clearing as much lead sulfate from plates as possible to avoid crystalization. Too much equalization will corrode positive plates which reduces battery longevity and increases battery internal resistance.

The regular SW has only a time in absorb setting(menu 10B). Plus also has this settable timer (menu 12H).

So any difference you are seeing between the two models is likely because of the absorb current finish setting of the plus model, or a difference in the absorb finish timer setting.

The proper setting for regular SW timer setting is a matter of preference on how fully charged you want the batteries. Two or three hours should fully charge but if you are charging from a generator I would not run it more then a hour in absorb since the charging efficiency on lead-acid battery to squeeze the remaining 5% recharging is poor, costing a lot of fuel for the generator.

On the plus model, set the timer as a fail safe measure in case batteries are defective resulting in absorb current never dropping off to the current level triggered absorb finish level. Like 3 hours for timer setting.

On the battery balance topic, as batteries age you will find one string will be stronger or weaker then other strings.
  • muirhouse
    Options

RCinFla

Thank you for the expanded input. Trying now to apply this as I observe inverters, trying to get SWP to stay in bulk long enough to reach Bulk Setting! Goes to float right at 1 hour, which is SW's absorb setting. And SW itself is at least 2 amps away from reaching bulk setting. (Can I see Bulk Done Amps reading out somewhere?) Going to try setting Bulk Done Amps to 0, see if it will in fact stay in bulk. I will let you know how this goes.

Jan
  • RCinFLA
    Options

Not sure what you mean by " And SW itself is at least 2 amps away from reaching bulk setting."

There are three current readouts in 'Meters' menu. Inverter/charger amps, Input Amps, and Load amps.

When inverter sync's to grid or generator the blinking green light turn solid green and you will hear the AC input relay 'clunk'. This connects ACin (grid or gen) to ACout which has the inverter operating in parallel.

The inverter is bidirectional and can source AC power to ACout node or pull power from ACout node to charge battery. Remember when inverter is operating and sync'd to ACin, the ACin is relay connected to ACout directly, with inverter operating in parallel.

The above explaination is for you to understand what the three AC current meter readings are.

1) "Input amps AC" is the current flowing (in=positive, out = negative) on ACin node (either AC1in or AC2in, whatever is sync'd to).

2) "Inverter/charger amps AC" is the current flowing into or out of inverter AC node.

3) "Load amps AC" is the current flowing out of ACout node.

When charging, "inverter/charger amps" + ACout "Load amps" = ACin "Input amps"

While charging, "inverter/charger amps" will represent the AC input charging amps.

Reading will jump around a little as the inverter AC tracking adjusts to match any change in ACin voltage.

In a series stacked arrangement the current fluxuation will be greater, particularly as absorb voltage is approached. This is due to inverter raising or lowering battery voltage over/under set level as it is hunting for right adjustment. This fakes out the other inverter sensing of battery voltage and in turn cause it to fluxuate more.

If you have a clip on DC amp meter you can see these fluxuations by reading the current in battery line going into each inverter. One may be pushing 30 amps while other is sucking up almost 30 amps. The processors in each inverter keep track of the overages and underages and averages the battery set voltage out over five to ten seconds. A slight variation in calibration voltages on each inverter can result in a net bias to push current to one inverter side.

The temp sensors can cause a lot of fluxuations. The temp comp'g that adjusts the battery absorb and float voltage setting based on temperature is done in discrete step increments. When the temperature is right at one of the discrete increment points it can result in one inverter being just on one side of the increment and the other inverter just on other side of increment. On 48vdc inverters this can result in a 0.2 vdc to 0.4 vdc delta in adjusted set points that increases the thrashing of currents between the two inverters. One of the discrete increment points is 77 degs F.

I do not use the temp sensors on my series stacked units. I manually adjust the float voltage in spring and fall. In Florida I don't get that much temp variations.
  • muirhouse
    Options

RC,

What I meant was not amps, but bulk volts readout. I am assuming inverter 2 has reached the 57.6 setting, for example, as it has gone to float, but looking up at inverter 1 (the SW), I see it is still in bulk mode reading 54.8 or so. And it hasn't timed out at 3 hours. I hear what you are saying about the temp sensors and do believe they are contributing to some of this. If I didn't feel like the sine waves were scrambling my own brain waves, I would sit down there and watch the readout more closely. My concern is that I am doing something wrong and that the total battery bank charge has not reached its setting, and is thus being undercharged.

Thank you for the detailed AC explanation.

It has been recommended to me to do a long, low voltage eq charge with this new set of batteries, what would be considered low voltage and how to set that?
  • RCinFLA
    Options

Two volts difference in battery voltage interpretation between the inverters would be drastic.

It is possible calibration is off but normally I would not expect more then 0.2 vdc between the inverter. Again, the temp sensors can drive this off with their correction.

In the menu 4 meter there is a temp uncompensated (25C setting) and actual voltage reading.

You minimally need a DVM with reasonable accuracy to determine what the actually battery voltage is.

As I mentioned previously, when the bulk (absorb voltage) setting is approached you will see thrashing of current between the inverters. Their voltage reading should be close though.

If you can let the batteries sit unconnected for a few hours and check their open circuit voltage you can determine their state of charge. Fully charged should be 6.35 vdc.
  • muirhouse
    Options

RCinFLA

I have now disconnected the battery temperature sensors. I have found a TRACE TM500A Battery Status Monitor tucked away on the shelf. Checking now to make sure it works with stacked system. Do you have experience with this monitor. Would it replace the need for a DVM?

I am having an interesting frequency(?) related, problem, which I have isolated to the SW4048Plus. When radios and certain lights are plugged into the outlets controlled by this inverter, they pulse on and off. If I plug a light into a plug just above this, which is on the same 4048 path, the on/off stops. I checked the frequency on the led of this inverter, and it was 60. Is there a freq adjustment somewhere? We could put sensitive electronics on the other inverter, I guess. But still worrisome.

Also, the 4048 is not UL approved for the Solar Rebates, having been mfg before the UL status changed, but mine does have the grid tie interface 4.2 software installed. Do you happen to know if there are exceptions for off grid systems for this grid-tie UL issue? I would hate to have to buy a new inverter UL approved for grid tie since we will never use that option. We are too far off the road. Thanks much for all your input.