Are PV panels mounting holes threade or do they have through holes

beth
beth Solar Expert Posts: 32
I am trying to find out the answer to this simply question on the net and its not so easy to find. I can find mounting hole spacing drawings for different panels but what I cant find out is are these holes threaded? (what size bolts) or do they go right through the frames. If they go through what cross section do most manufacturers use for the frame around the edge and then where does the nut go on the face of panel or is it some type of H channel frame. I am particularly wondering about solar world's new large panels. Thanks!

Comments

• n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Re: Are PV panels mounting holes threade or do they have through holes

Most if not all are thur-hole for a 1/4 inch bolt. Most installations do not use them. They have clamp the bolts on the outside and pinches the top to bottom mounting rail.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

As Ken said, most are just drilled through holes.

As to the 'most use clamps' I think this is true of roof mounted panels, as to stand alone, where you can get to the back of the panels, bolting is common.

Also my larger panels came with larger 5/16 or 3/8 ths holes.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

My sharp panels had a little over 1/4 holes and no treads. I put them on a pole and used elect. struts on 36 inch centers with the spring clips for the struts and 1 and 1/2 inch ss bolts.
    The clips took too much room and the holes were made by sharp to use.