Inverter Charger Transfer

I would like to split the output of my 7000W generator and wonder if this is safe? Do-able? Meets code?

I have a PV system with a Xantrex 1524 inverter/charger that has 30A auto transfer switch.

My panel is 200 amp main that has a couple 230V breakers that I intend to remove.

I would run L1 through the 30A transfer then into the panel. All circuits connected to the L1 side of the panel would be for lighting and stuff like TV/phone charger/other small loads. L2 would run directly from the genny to the L2 side of the panel. L2 circuts would be labled and used for bigger less frequently used loads like Coffee maker/microwave/vacuum/shop tools.

What do you think?

Jim

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Inverter Charger Transfer

Will this be to several different buildings--Or just to one home and trying to split solar loads from occasional generator loads?

Do you have any need for 240 VAC?

Any other issues in your area (lightning)?

I assume no utility/grid power?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Bill,
    Just a cabin and small garage.
    No need for 240VAC.
    No grid power.

Mountain top, so lightning is a concern.
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Interesting question. What make/model is the generator and do L1 and L2 share the neutral?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

If you can wire the L1/L2 windings to be in parallel and share the 120 VAC loads--Probably would be better usage (you don't have to balance your loads between L1/L2 circuits.

Otherwise, I cannot see a reason not to run L1 to some loads + transfer switch (for battery supplied loads), and L2 to the other loads.

Probably run them to the same box--wire just like a 240 VAC split phase circuit (common neutral bus). And branch out your 120 VAC loads from there.

Should make safety grounding and lightning wiring a bit more simple and sane.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

No problem doing this. I assume your breaker box has no 240v grid input main breaker installed. I assume you are referring to DR1524. These are modified sinewave inverters. Their charger DC amperage output is very dependent on 120vac input voltage.

You can run generator L2 to one breaker rail, and L1 through DR1524 to other breaker rail. This will give you two 30 amp rails, 180 degrees out of phase during generator operation. L2 would be dead when only on DR inverter.

You have to be careful not to overload DR1524 side of generator. The DR does not have input current limit control so you could draw a maximum of 55 amps into DR1524, 25 amps AC going for battery charging, with a 30 amp AC passthru load.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thanks for the info.

My inverter is TR1524, basically same as DR I believe. The spec sheet says 10.2 Aac at max charge rate.

My panel does have a 200A 240V input main. It would be tough to trip with 7000W but would it cause a problem?

Jim
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

Inject the L2 leg from generator through a 30 amp breaker put in the breaker panel. The inverter carrying L1 side should be injected through a 30 amp breaker. Tie generator neutral to neutral buss in the panel. Tie the generator ground wire to breaker box case.

Make sure you get the breakers on the proper L1/L2 buss bar sides in the breaker box.