Protecting the back of ground or pole mount modules

NZRR
NZRR Registered Users Posts: 28 ✭✭
Hi. Does anyone have any suggestions on a simple, inexpensive, and easy way to protect the back side and wires of a ground or pole mount PV system in accordance with 690? I just priced out some expanded aluminum and it is over $230 for a 4 x 8 sheet. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I was thinking of using aluminum or fiberglass screen material, but am concerned about how well it will stand up to weather and abuse.

Comments

• solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Re: Protecting the back of ground or pole mount modules

How about screening it with 1/4" hardware cloth?
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NZRR wrote: »
    ...PV system in accordance with 690? ....

Is this the conduit or limted access for anything over 30 volts?

I think it's been discussed here before and a fence around the structure would be what they are looking for...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would use armored liquid tite if I had to.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• NZRR
    NZRR Registered Users Posts: 28 ✭✭

According to what I have heard (I can't find it in 690), we need to cover the back of modules that are less than 8 feet above ground to keep people from contacting the wires. A fence would work, but I was looking for something less intrusive that could be attached to the back of the modules.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

covering the backs of modules will allow the panels to heat up more than normal and you would get a decrease in production. i didn't search back, but if this is a gt system then i would agree to find some way to keep people from it and if it needs inspected then it is the inspector you should touch base with as he has the final say so on what he finds to be acceptable. technically anything over 60v is considered high by nec standards if memory serves.
    originally, the j boxes on the back of the module was to allow for safe interconnections so this would've made it possible for conduit or some other means of protection of the wires until somebody had the bright idea to use the box only for the required pigtails with mc connections on them. now you not only have wires exposed that aren't in a box, but you must make connections outside of the box as well and you now are stuck with a possible weak link in the wiring system as those pigtails may not be of a large enough gauge in many cases. that made it easier for installers to just make a connection and saved them some time, but that took us a few steps backwards overall in my opinion.