What would you do ? warranty

Options
I had a solar pole put in.. 14 Schott 225 with enphase on a powerfab mount.
I noticed that the installers drilled holes in the schotts to mount. ( did not line up with factory holes )

This voids the warranty.. Schott said they would not warranty the panels. Solar company said they will. They also think I am trying to stiff them as I have not paid the last 3K payment until I get the warranty issue worked out.

What would you do ?

Thoughts ?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: What would you do ? warranty

Get Schott to put it in writing that they will not honour the warranty due to the holes the installer drilled.
    Show that to the installer. If he still refuses responsibility, show it to a lawyer.

Do not pay. Tell them in writing why you won't, including yet another copy of Schott's explanation.

Always get this stuff in writing; it stands up better in court.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Powerfab builds the mount to fit the panels.
    The installer pawned a surplus mount onto you. Either he posts a 20 year bond of "30%" (is 30% a good number for your comfort) of the cost of the entire Schott PV cost, or he reduces the price of the "used, no warranty" panels, to something you are happy with. Get it in writing from Schott, get a letter from Powerfab, if they shipped a Schott frame to your installer.
    May as well get a contracts atty lined up, you are likely going to have to have a judge settle it up.
    But I'd deliver no more checks, or possibly consider an escrow company to hold it for you.
    And drilling holes likely means installer did not use factory ( & UL) certified ground points, and he cannot pass final inspection.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• porkfarm
    porkfarm Registered Users Posts: 19
    Options
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Powerfab builds the mount to fit the panels.
    The installer pawned a surplus mount onto you. Either he posts a 20 year bond of "30%" (is 30% a good number for your comfort) of the cost of the entire Schott PV cost, or he reduces the price of the "used, no warranty" panels, to something you are happy with. Get it in writing from Schott, get a letter from Powerfab, if they shipped a Schott frame to your installer.
    May as well get a contracts atty lined up, you are likely going to have to have a judge settle it up.
    But I'd deliver no more checks, or possibly consider an escrow company to hold it for you.
    And drilling holes likely means installer did not use factory ( & UL) certified ground points, and he cannot pass final inspection.

It passed final inspection. inspector made them run a new ground from the panel to the pole. This has enphase inverters and it appears that the inverters are grounded to the frame of the powerfab. Not by wire, but by clamping down on the frame rail.

They will not submit paper work for a 6K rebate until the final payment is done.