solar water pump

Options
bryan j
bryan j Registered Users Posts: 9
I live in Florida. My submersible pump is 75' down. My question is: can I use a deliver or surface pump with 1/2" piping and pump it in to my pressure tank?
I'm trying to cut down power usage.
If a hand pump with with a 1/2 hp dc motor can pull water why can't that work?
I ask before I spend the money.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: solar water pump

Always ask before you spend the money! :D

Pumps. The bane of our existence. :p

A pump has a Hp rating of "X". It needs to deliver lift, volume, and pressure. Those each take some of that "X HP". You trade one for another. In other words, more lift means less power left for flow and/or pressure.

75 Feet of lift (and it may not be all that, as the lift is from the depth of the water in the well, not the intake depth or total well depth) is at the limit of standard "jet" pumps. By that point even a 3/4 HP pump will be working pretty hard. That brings in the next paradox: that "X HP" doesn't directly translate to Watts used as in 746 Watts per HP. And then there's the evil start-up surge that these motors experience.

So I think what you're wondering about is using a solar-powered pump like the Grundfos or SunPump to bring the water to a surface reservoir, and then a small DC pump like a Shurflo to pressurize your system? Some pumps: http://store.solar-electric.com/sodcwapu.html

Yes it can be done. Is it cost effective? That's something only you can answer. Solar power tends to be pricey, especially if grid power is available.
  • bryan j
    Options

I was told that my lift is less than 75', that is exactly what my 220 sub pump is, and Florida being at sea level.
    What I want to is use just use a surface pump. I already have a hand pump and have been told I could hook up the 1/2 hp dc motor to make it solar. The problem is the motor is $700. If I'm going to pay that I might as well get a dc sub pump. I was wondering if the pipe is smaller (1/2) and being in Florida if a surface pump would work by itself.
  • bryan j
    Options

Let me start over.
    I live in Florida (sea level). My (220) sub pump is at 75'.
    I want to place a 1/2" pipe (beside the pipe that is already there, it won't be 75') connect that to a dc surface pump which will pump water in my pressure tank which feeds the house.
    I will then hook the pump up a battery and solar panels. I also plan to add a storage tank.
    Will that work?
    If it will work, what pump would you recommend?
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

So your looking to add a second pump drawing from the same well to provide pressurized water for the house? Or are you thinking of feeding this second pump from the first pump which only provides lift?

If only we could draw pictures! :D
  • bryan j
    Options

The answer is no.
    I want to use the (220) sub pump as back up a last option.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    bryan j wrote: »
    The answer is no.
    I want to use the (220) sub pump as back up a last option.

Right. I think we're finally on the same page here. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Okay, the issue is: how deep to the water? In general, 12 Volt pumps don't have a lot of power (otherwise they'd use very large amounts of current).

Even though the existing pump may be at 75', the top of the water in the well may only be 50' (giving 25' of static head, which is essentially distance the water will 'pump itself' as it seeks level). Or not. The placement depends on how fast the well can recover as water is pumped out. If it's slow, there should be greater static head.

You're looking to put a 12 VDC pump on the surface, because there's only room for a small line down the well next to the existing set up, right? These pumps (like the Shurflo 2088) are usually only good for 10-12 feet of lift. Perhaps 25 at the most for a very expensive one. In short, it's probably not going to work.

So let's look at the route question: why do you want to do this? If the answer is to save money on your electric bill, forget it. The capital outlay for converting to solar water pumping will probably pay your whole utility bill for years. But it may be possible to make some other adjustments to reduce your bill, like increasing tank capacity so the pump doesn't cycle as often. Sometimes you don't need as large a pump (I'd expect 1/2 HP for your 75' well. Perhaps 3/4).
  • bryan j
    Options

How about 1 hp with 3/4" pipe and it would run on 110, would that work?
    Wouldn't that also reduce my bill if the storage tank was increased?

(half the power for the same purpose, plus there is a power line, I can make 110)
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    How about 1 hp with 3/4" pipe and it would run on 110, would that work?
    Wouldn't that also reduce my bill if the storage tank was increased?

(half the power for the same purpose, plus there is a power line, I can make 110)

A 1 HP pump is likely to have a 1 1/4" intake, and is likely going to be hard to find in a surface pump.

What it comes down to is the minimum amount of power needed to provide your needs of lift, flow, and pressure. Two of those figures can be standardized: 3 GPM is a typical minimum flow for household water and 40 psi a typical maximum pressure. How much actual water lift you need is still unknown.

Possibly a 3/4 HP pump (on 220 - no sense using 110 and higher Amps - the net power is the same). But you'd probably need room for both a 1 1/8" intake and a 3/4" "jet" tube to provide the lift if the water is closer to 75'.

How big is the pump you've got now? Might be hunting unicorns here.
  • bryan j
    Options

Northern Tool has a 1 hp by Wayne.
    If you go to there site and find the 1 hp Wayne pump, read the customer review.
    I also downloaded the manual and I might be wrong, but it runs off 110 (Please correct me if I am). The review was close to what I'm trying to do.
    If it any use when I moved on the property there was a surface pump by the well I think they used it for irrigation.

By the way, thanks for your help!!
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Do you mean this one?
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332205_200332205
    That runs on 110/220. Personally I wouldn't want to run a 1 HP motor on 110 VAC - the start-up current could pop a 15 Amp breaker.
    That pump's specs also say "will draw water from a 25 ft. depth". You can do that with 1/2 HP, so what's all that extra motor for? At that depth it flows 5 GPM.
    Note that it does say 1 1/4" intake.

This might actually be a better choice:
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200311417_200311417

You're in Florida. That state has (or had) some pretty good incentives for grid-tie solar installs. Maybe you want to look into that?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

For AC pumps, you cannot just drop a 240 VAC pump to 120 VAC... Unless the pump motor is way over sized, simply dropping the voltage will cut the power to ~1/4 ... And then the motor will stall, take too much current, not run properly, and can overheat.

In general, for pumps and other electric systems with long wiring runs, you usually want to run them at as high as voltage as practical to reduce current requirements.

Remembering that Power = Voltage * Current and that a 1 HP 240 Volt motor vs a 1 HP 120 Volt motor will simply require 2x the current if running at one half the voltage (1 HP motor is wired for 240 vs 1 HP motor wired for 120 volts). Simply going with a lower voltage 1 HP motor will not save any power/money--and in fact may cost you more because the wiring has to be twice as heavy (3+ gauge heavier) because of the 2x higher current at lower voltage.

Now--there may be other issues--for example, many off-grid inverters are only available in 120 VAC output--so you need either a second "stacking" inverter or a high voltage step up transformer or some other solution where 120 VAC pump may be more cost effective for a particular installation.

Some of the DC pumps actually vary their output based on the amount of voltage/current available (Grundos pumps for one) and have a Maximum Power Point Tracking system built in to use solar panels (or batteries, or DC genset, or AC genset, or AC utility power).

And you can use VFD (variable frequency drive) on a 3 phase pump to, pretty efficiently, vary the flow/pressure to meet the requirement.

By the way, VFD and other pumps are using 3 phase motors so to avoid brushes/commutators (much longer life). Also some pumps are using permanent magnet motors instead of induction motors to run ~15-20% more efficient too.

By itself, solar power is not usually a less costly method of generating electricity vs utility power... So, looking at your current system and deciding how to conserve power (smaller pump, more efficient pump, low pressure pumping to cistern, small high pressure pump for domestic water, etc.) all help.

Grid Tie Solar Systems (GT inverter + solar panels connected to utility power) is usually the best/cheapest/most reliable method to make solar electricity for the standard grid connected home.

Add new/reconfigured well/pumping system that allows you to conserve power moving water is just icing on the cake.

I am not on a well, and not in the pumping/well business--but looking at your current system (see how many kWH per day you are actually using to pump water), how many gpd you need, pressure (high pressure for house, low pressure irrigation for garden, etc.)--then looking at the solutions and how much money a "Low Energy" system can save you.

Many systems were designed in the day of "cheap energy"--depending on what happens in the future--look at Northern California's peak power rates right now (summer peak can be $0.40-$0.60+ per kWH today) and compare the potential "worst case" power savings with a new/reduced pumping system--perhaps with some sort of solar assist.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Bill;

Many (most) surface pumps are dual Voltage, including the two Wayne units mentioned above. If you get in to deep well submersibles, they tend to be higher HP and strictly 220-240. They used to make 1/3 HP jet pumps - haven't seen any available in years now - which were 110-120 only.

There are times when I think that if I have to install another pump somewhere I'm going to go stark raving mad! Oops! Too late! :p
  • bryan j
    Options

So, I could try what I have described and if it works, great I'm a genius.
    Or, would you recommend, just putting a dc sub pump in and forget it?
    I'm an options type person and if I spend $300 to $400 and it works but not doesn't give me what I expect then I would have been better off spending for the dc sub pump. Which I read I can lower and raise when I need to and not pay some one else the big dollars.
    Is that the better option?
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    So, I could try what I have described and if it works, great I'm a genius.
    Or, would you recommend, just putting a dc sub pump in and forget it?
    I'm an options type person and if I spend $300 to $400 and it works but not doesn't give me what I expect then I would have been better off spending for the dc sub pump. Which I read I can lower and raise when I need to and not pay some one else the big dollars.
    Is that the better option?

I think the question is: what's the end goal you're trying to achieve?
    Possible answers: more efficient pumping; lower electric bill; experiment with solar power; spend whopping great amounts of money.
    For some reason, no one ever picks that last one. :p

If what you've got works, why change it?
  • bryan j
    Options

I live in a Mobile Home, that is all electric. My average bill is $225/ month.
    So, in the long run the more I do the less that bill will be. I already have plans to install a solar hot water heater, primative but it will work.
    Answer to your question is all of the above, but the dint in the wallet as little as possible!
    The storage tank I was going to add any way so I'll only be out the pump and accessories.
    I'm also going solar with other bits and piece of my homestead as I go.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Any electric used for heating? That's the first thing to look into changing. No electric stove, hot water, dryer, or room heat. Not even a coffee pot! :D
    The second thing would be conservation of energy. Mobile homes are notoriously poorly insulated and are tricky to retrofit/improve.
    That well pump may not be the big energy user you think it is.
  • BB.
    Options

Marc, yea--many motors can be reconfigured for 120 or 240 VAC use--I was trying to focus on a 1 HP motor at either voltage will cost about the same to run (P=I*V).

Bryan, you might want to look at the whole house kWH meters... They are pretty easy to hook up (clip a transformer on the wire you want to measure the power on)--Should be an AC voltage connection too.

Clip onto the pump circuit and see how my kWH per day you are using... If it is 1/2 your electric bill--then it is certainly worth looking doing something for conservation... And you can figure out if you are pumping water efficiently... I.e., how many gallons per kWH are you pumping with your existing setup for a new setup configured for conservation.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • bryan j
    Options

My home is pretty good I feel when it comes to electricity. It is 1800sq/ft, with 5 occupants, we hang our clothes on a line, cut out phantom loads, put the hot water heater on a timer. I would like to cut these 220 loads which cost us the most. My wife cooks 95% of the time in the convection 110 oven or the small microwave which is on a power strip on gets turned off asap. Light bulbs changed and windows tinted. The electric company only charges $.13/ KWh which I'm told is low and our highest bills of the year is July and August which tops out at $250 to $280/ month.

I will take everything under consideration and I will install another water tank and then see what happens!
    Thanks for your responses!!
    I do plan on slowly turn parts of my house to solar, because I don't think the power company will stay at $.13, they just raised it and they will raise it again. They are the worst power company I have ever had, sometimes out of the blue our power go off, I have experienced more outages with them.

To the Moderator, looking on down the line, what if I wanted to change to a Shurflo 9300 Submersible Solar Water Pump, would that help with what I want to do?
  • BB.
    Options

Others can probably help you more--As "Moderators", Niel and I are here pretty much for Spam control... Neither of us are associated with NAWS or any other solar businesses.

I will say that look at the total life-cycle costs... Currently you have fairly reasonable power costs so getting a few more years of life from the existing pump/setup may be worth more than electricity saved from a high-tech (and sometimes high cost) pump.

I would monitor the power usage of your major electric appliances. Cooking/Hot water/etc. are probably a major portion of your energy bill.

Mobile homes frequently have limitations that make installing gas appliances more more difficult--And can you even put in a propane tank or not (and is propane viable/natural gas for your location).

If you have A/C (or need humidity control and/or heating)--New high efficiency A/C plus a "desuperheater" for hot water (uses A/C waste heat to heat hot water--Or there are now heat-pump hot water heaters that may be a good deal where electricity is the only reasonable power source)... And there are the mini-split AC (and heat pump) systems too--just cool the room(s) you need during the day.

In any case, I am not convinced that water pumping is a major portion of your bill... At this point pumping should be costing you around $0.20 per hour... Even 5 hours per day, that is only $30 per month.

-Bill
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Others can probably help you more--As "Moderators", Niel and I are here pretty much for Spam control...

Mobile homes frequently have limitations that make installing gas appliances more more difficult---Bill

1. Most definitely agree!! You guys do great at deleting the occasional spam posts, and keeping the rest of us in line! You deserve more than your regular salary.

2. I disagree. I live in a mobile, and decades ago I ran a propane line so I could install a gas dryer. It was easy. No foundation, easy access under the home, thin floors to drill through, etc. Later I added another gas line to supply propane fridges. Also VERY easy.

The thread is asking about water pumps but... the purpose of the thread was to find ways to reduce the electric bill. I understand pumps. My well has a Grundfos that feeds a 1000 gal cistern, and a 120V jet pump pressurizes a couple of bladder tanks from that. There is also a 12V Flojet pump as a backup for pressure. Other than wind power, electricity is necessary to pump water. For practical purposes, the power to pump a given amount of water will be the same whether it is 240V, 120V or 12V, as Bill has suggested.

The preceding posts mention correctly that you (Bryan) might try and use gas/propane whenever possible for heat, whether it's a water heater or an oven or a range or a clothes dryer or all of the above plus heat (if you ever would need it). If propane is available, you might give some consideration to changing "heat" appliances over to it, maybe one by one. Heating anything by electricity is inefficient, IMO.

I'm biased here: cooking with gas is better. Tune in to the Food Channel or the Cooking Channel and observe how many times you see people cooking with electric. We've had both but will never go back to electric.

And if you've ever considered a backup generator (for those power outages) propane beats gas or diesel as far as convenience... people deliver propane to you. No hauling and storing cans of fuel.

Phil
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Bryan J;

As per your PM to me, yes the Shurflo 9300 with suitable controller and panel(s) would suit, as would the SunPumps SDS-Q-128 - based on what little I know of your pumping needs. To be certain, you should talk to the people at NAWS about these pumps. You really need to know the depth to the water, how fast the well recovers, size of casing, et cetera. Lots of details need to be checked.

If you knew what pump you've already got it might help. Then again it might be over-sized for the job. The smaller, solar-driven pumps work on a basis of pumping when the sun shines and storing in a large tank for when it doesn't. Their output varies with the power available, whereas the standard utility-fed pumps run full-out as needed when needed.

If the pump is still working I wouldn't be pulling it out just yet, but it is good to start planning for its inevitable failure.

Just two weeks ago I changed out a pump that quit suddenly. Nothing on sale when you need it, of course. The week after a different distributor had a different pump that would do for $50 less! :grr
  • BB.
    Options

Regarding Gas appliances and Mobile Homes--I was referring to building code and appliance restrictions (need a water heater that is rated for use in mobile home, etc.)--as I understand it...

I do agree that working on a mobile home can be much easier than my old home with the concrete slab floor. Although, that home was much quieter with kids running around.

-Bill
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Water Pumping.
    You can only suction lift water about 24' at sea level, 70F. After that, the pump cavitates and cannot suction, regardless of the motor size. A 10HP motor with 25' suction will cavitate, and not collect water.
    Many of the solar, need an expensive DC pump, and a new, expensive controller to drive the pump. That's why I went with a conventional pump, carefully sized to meet my water needs, running off a 240VAC circuit. (higher voltage needs less starting surge amps). And hopefuly, any pump tech can repair it at midnight if i'm not there to do it.
    In your list of loads, I did not see (or recall) air conditioning. Electric cooking will sure eat a lot of power though.

Mike
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,