Watts needed for charger

Options
System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
hi! all
First I'd like to thank you for letting me be part of your forum.

I've been reading for quit a wile now and can't seem to find this info so here goes.
I have a 12v marine deep cycle lead acid battery 99 dollar special from Wal-mart and a 1500 watt inverter and a bar fridge . I have run the fridge for three days on the battery alone and was still going strong but I unplug it for not to drain the battery completely. I don't run it more than 24 hours anymore.than plug it to a second battery (same as above).
2 Questions
1. I noticed that after 24 hours of fridge use the inverter beeps once for a split second on start ups . Now is this putting to much strain on the inverter or is it just a warning that the battery is getting low?

2. Now if I wanted to charge this battery with my car , would I be able to do so with booster cable , or inverter and charger , If I need an inverter ,what size?

Thanks

Comments

• Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Watts needed for charger

This forum is dedicated to solar energy. Nowhere in your post do you mention a means by which you intend to harvest solar energy.

If I understand you (I'm not sure that I do) you have two batteries that you intend to charge from a vehicle's alternator. Worse, it seems that you have charged neither.

This will not work as you have presented. Others may contribute to explain why.

Wish I had the time (or desire) to be more helpful.

K
  • arkieoscar
    arkieoscar Solar Expert Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Options

Just buy an automotive type battery charger (soon) and charge it. One of the 10 amp, cheapo chargers is all you need for your battery but if you don't do it very soon it will be ruined and you'll have to replace it.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    blackmagic wrote: »
    hi! all
    First I'd like to thank you for letting me be part of your forum.

I've been reading for quit a wile now and can't seem to find this info so here goes.
    I have a 12v marine deep cycle lead acid battery 99 dollar special from Wal-mart and a 1500 watt inverter and a bar fridge . I have run the fridge for three days on the battery alone and was still going strong but I unplug it for not to drain the battery completely. I don't run it more than 24 hours anymore.than plug it to a second battery (same as above).
    2 Questions
    1. I noticed that after 24 hours of fridge use the inverter beeps once for a split second on start ups . Now is this putting to much strain on the inverter or is it just a warning that the battery is getting low?

2. Now if I wanted to charge this battery with my car , would I be able to do so with booster cable , or inverter and charger , If I need an inverter ,what size?

Thanks

1). The beep is the inverter's low battery Voltage warning. It's caused by the Voltage drop which occurs when the 'frige draws high current on start-up. It means two things; one, that your battery is low and two that you battery is small for the amount of current being drawn.

2). If you haven't been recharging these batteries fully after each use, they're probably well on their way to being scrap metal. Charging from a car alternator via jumper cables is not recommended. These things need to be on charge for hours to be brought up fully. The car will use a lot of gasoline in that time and the cables are not a safe and secure connection for such an operation.

For charging from your vehicle while driving, the battery should be "hard wired" through some type of dual battery adapter/isolator (the relay type is often recommended around here). But by all means get a charger on those batteries and bring them up full before it's too late (if it's not already).
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You should find out how much power the bar fridge is using.

The two batteries you bought are probably 125 AH Everstart MAXX marine.

You should not discharge these more then about 50% of their rated capacity if you want them to last several years. Always keep them charged. They will degrade if left in a partial charge state for a month or so.

For two batteries in parallel with 50% discharge that gives you 125 A-H. At 12vdc this would be about 1500 watt hours.

A regular 15-17 cu ft. refrig less then a few years old will average about 1500 watt hrs per 24 hours period. There will be peak power draw of close to 1000 watts for compressor startup surges and defrost heaters.

I would assume your bar fridge has 1/3 to 1/2 the consumption of a full sized fridge but any fridge consumption depends on how much the door is open, allowing heat in that must then be cooled.

The inverter internal power consumption should also be taken into account. Assuming it is a 1500 watt modified sinewave inverter it it probably about 5-7 watts for its no-load consumption.

As to charging from a car, the biggest risk is damage to your car's battery. The car alternator is self limiting and will not put out more then its design limit but if a discharged battery is put in parallel with a charged battery the charged battery (your car's battery) can deliver some very high discharge current for a long enough time period to damage it. Using the car for charging is a large waste of gas as the efficiency will be very poor.
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options
    RCinFLA wrote: »
    but if a discharged battery is put in parallel with a charged battery the charged battery (your car's battery) can deliver some very high discharge current for a long enough time period to damage it.

According to SmartGauge, that's a myth:

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/nosurge2.html
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Forgive me for not being clear la night It was late and not thinking straight.

First I do a lot of camping and before , I always camped with full hookup.
    This year I decided to setup my camper with 2 batteries and an inverter since I do most of my camping during the weekend I tough that 2 batteries would be enough. The fridge is a 3 cubic foot size of a tent trailer ice box.

(((((When I get home from the weekend I charge my batteries using a 2 amp charger witch takes about 8 hours each.))))

((((so I bought a 18 watt coleman solar panel along with a controler witch gives me about 1.2 amp charge witch is not enough for more than a 3 day camping trip{{{1.2 amps of charge in full sun , but not much in shady days.}}}))))

These batteries can last aproximate 1 week without charge but they would not last long . That much I know .

I'm looking for alternatives so I can stay on longer camping trips. Without putting my batteries at risk .
    I am very interested in solar energy , have been for over 15 years .

Have been looking for alternatives to harvest my home from the sun and wind But nun of them seem to be feesable at the present time , even built a small wind generator a wile back .

So if you have an alternative I'm all ears.

P.S. If these questions are not valid in this forum or upsets other people like Kamala then forgive me, and delete this post , I do not wish to make anyone uncomfortable .
  • Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Options
    ... If these questions are not valid in this forum or upsets other people like Kamala then forgive me, and delete this post , I do not wish to make anyone uncomfortable .

No problem here. I just didn't see any mention of the solar panel in your OP.

Assuming that RC's guess at the AH capacity of your battery bank is correct at 2*125, you should get more PV power to recharge them properly. The minimum charge current for a 250AH bank is about 12A.

Have you considered the Honda eu series of generators? Until I got my eu1000i, I was often anxious that the charge rate to my 374AH bank was adequate from my 255W array. Now, when in doubt, I just give them a good solid 30A kick for a few hours in the morning. Uses about 1/4 gallon of gas and I barely hear it running if I am 50 feet or more away.

Sorry for the rough greeting. :blush:

K
  • System2
    Options

Thanks for your reply Kamala , I just figured I ruffled your feathers there , my appology .
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

The posts were fine--but people are looking for more information so that they can give you better answers (I see that Kamala answered before I finished this post).

Regarding how much power--Using PV watts website to estimate what 1,000 watts of solar panels will do for you around Quebec Canada, and using derating of 0.52 for an off grid system:
    "Station Identification"
    "City:","Quebec"
    "State:","QU"
    "Lat (deg N):", 46.80
    "Long (deg W):", 71.38
    "Elev (m): ", 70
    "Weather Data:","CWEC"

"PV System Specifications"
    "DC Rating:"," 1.0 kW"
    "DC to AC Derate Factor:"," 0.520"
    "AC Rating:"," 0.5 kW"
    "Array Type: Fixed Tilt"
    "Array Tilt:"," 46.8"
    "Array Azimuth:","180.0"

"Energy Specifications"
    "Cost of Electricity:"," 0.1 Can$/kWh"

"Results"
    "Month", "Solar Radiation (kWh/m^2/day)", "AC Energy (kWh)", "Energy Value (Can$)"
    1, 3.34, 58, 0.05
    2, 4.27, 65, 0.06
    3, 5.58, 93, 0.08
    4, 5.82, 88, 0.08
    5, 5.19, 75, 0.06
    6, 4.95, 68, 0.06
    7, 5.13, 72, 0.06
    8, 4.90, 69, 0.06
    9, 4.47, 62, 0.05
    10, 3.35, 50, 0.04
    11, 2.21, 33, 0.03
    12, 2.59, 42, 0.04
    "Year", 4.32, 774, 0.67

You will generate around 42-93 kWH per month with a fixed solar array depending on season. Per day that works out to:
    • 42kWH per December / 30 days = 1.4 kWH or 1,400 Watt*Hours per 1,000 watts of solar panels
    • 93 kWH per month March / 30 days = 3.1 kWH or 3,100 WH per 1kW of solar panels
    Now, for a smaller RV, 2x 135 watt solar panels seem to be a good fit. The output would be (just output per 1kW of panels multiplying by the actual panel size in kWatts):
    • 1,400 WH * (2x 0.135 kW of solar panels) = 378 WH per day for 270 watts of solar panels
    • 3,100 WH * (2x 0.135 kW of solar panels) = 837 WH per day for 270 watts of panels
    So--the question is your usage and does this offer what you are looking for and is 270 watts (more or less) practical for your installation.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

The 2 Amp charger may be capable of "putting back the used Amp/hrs" but the charge rate is too low to prevent sulphation death. Go for one of the 10 Amp chargers and get those batteries zapped! :D
    If they're not sealed, purchase a hydrometer and check the Specific Gravity of each cell.

There's been lots of discussion around here about various solar camping set-ups, including "portable" panels that can be set in the sun while you camp in the shade. :D

For one of those batteries (assuming it's around 100 Amp/hrs) you'd want at least a 135 Watt panel to charge with. If you draw off them as you charge, you'll want to up that capacity so that the effective charge rate remains at least 5% of the Amp/hr capacity of the battery.
  • System2
    Options

thanks every one for your reply much appreciated .
    Cariboocoot if i understand correctly your saying that it's better to charge with 10 amps than 2 amps . I always tough it was the other way around.

now a car battery if you discharge it more than 20% your looking for trouble, I tough that a deep cycle battery would last better if discharge fully than recharge, like a lithnium battery.

now if for example if one of my batteries can last 4 days running my bar fridge even tho my inverter beeps after 24 hours , after1 day use wouldn't it have used 25% of battery capacity. RCinFLA said no more than 50% use now I think I'm way below that .Are my calculations wrong here?

after 24 hours use , the battery was 12.18v ,after 6 hours in full sun the reading reading was 12.43v a full charge should be what , a little over 13volts then 2 of the same panels (18watts) would give what 2.4 amps at 36watts

if 18watts panel , providing 1.2 amps charge , can't be charged in 8 hours , then whats the importance higher amps or higher wattage

if i raise my watts does it raise my amperage or am I way off here i'm confused.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I tough that a deep cycle battery would last better if discharge fully than recharge, like a lithnium battery.

Not true for either. You are thinking of NiCad battery. LiIon battery will be damaged if taken below about 2.2 vdc. There is actually a circuit in your cellphone battery that 'pulls the plug' if battery drops below about 2.3 vdc)

For Lead Acid, of the Marine type you purchased, the deeper you discharge it, the shorter the longevity. These 'Marine' batteries are not true deep discharge batteries. Everybody here targets about 50% DOD even for true deep discharge to get good longevity.

Google 'State of Charge for Lead Acid battery'

A lead acid battery that has rested with no load or charging for 2-3 hrs should be at 12.7 vdc if fully charged. 50% state of charge will be at about 12.2 vdc.

Charger should hold battery at 13.2-13.4 vdc in 'float charge condition.

Initial charge voltage can go to 14.5 vdc but should drop back to the lower voltage after a period of time. This can be when charge current has dropped to about 3% of AH rating or just a timer timeout after a few hours.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

In case it hasn't been linked before,, I suggest you read and understand the following links;

http://www.batteryfaq.org/
    http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Lifespan%20of%20Batteries

Tony
  • dwh
    Options
    Forgive me for not being clear la night It was late and not thinking straight.

First I do a lot of camping and before , I always camped with full hookup.
    This year I decided to setup my camper with 2 batteries and an inverter since I do most of my camping during the weekend I tough that 2 batteries would be enough. The fridge is a 3 cubic foot size of a tent trailer ice box.

[EDIT: Fixed brain fart decimal point misplaced math.]

You said it's a bar fridge? Last time I looked at bar fridges (demos on the shelf at Fry's), the lowest electrical draw I saw was 1.1 amps.

I'm going to guess yours at 1 amps just to make the rough math easy.

Say you have 2 batteries, and each is 125ah (amp*hours) @12v capacity. They are wired in parallel to give 250ah@12v capacity.

Also, say the fridge draws 1a@120v - that converts to 10a@12v. So, your 250ah of battery could supply that fridge for 25 hours of running the compressor. If the compressor runs at say a 25% duty cycle (only running 15 minutes out of every hour) then you could run it for 100 hours.

That's the basics on how it works. So...take a look at the sticker on your fridge and see how much it draws and take a look at your batteries to see what their actual capacity is.

You can't escape the math, and you can't do the math without the numbers.

(((((When I get home from the weekend I charge my batteries using a 2 amp charger witch takes about 8 hours each.))))

[EDIT: Nevermind; this was just all wrong.]

((((so I bought a 18 watt coleman solar panel along with a controler witch gives me about 1.2 amp charge witch is not enough for more than a 3 day camping trip{{{1.2 amps of charge in full sun , but not much in shady days.}}}))))

These batteries can last aproximate 1 week without charge but they would not last long . That much I know .

Again, it comes back to the math. Say you have a 125ah battery and you draw it down 50%. You now need to replace 62.5ah of juice. How many hours will that take with a 1.2a charge?

Or, if your loads suck out say 120ah per day and you put back 1.2ah with the solar panel, then it will take the solar 100 hours to replace what the fridge took out - or 10 hours with 12a worth of solar panels.

Say you get 5 hours of good sun a day on the panels and you have 12a worth of panels. You put back 60ah per day, but if you are taking out 120ah per day, then each day your batteries are at 60ah less than they were the day before.

This is all just rough math, but you get the idea.

As for batteries - lead-acid battery lifespan is rated by "X number of cycles at Y discharge". So say you draw them down 10% and recharge them, their rated life might be 5,000 cycles. At 25% regular discharge they might be rated at 3,000 cycles. At 50% discharge, maybe 1,000 cycles. At 80% discharge, they might last 150 cycles.

You'd have to check with whoever made your batteries to find out what their cycle ratings are.

I'm looking for alternatives so I can stay on longer camping trips. Without putting my batteries at risk .
    I am very interested in solar energy , have been for over 15 years .

You have to do the math to figure out what you need - there's no other way.

To run a bar fridge for boondocking I would guess you would need at a minimum a panel of say....I dunno...135w maybe. Two would be better.

My camper has a Norcold 323 and runs on propane for 3 weeks on high, or 4 weeks on low from a single 5g tank (my camper has a horizontal frame-mounted 5g tank). I filled that tank up a couple weeks ago and the propane was $1.88/gallon. The 323 has no thermostat, but it doesn't really need it - it's "close enough for government work". (And no thermostat control board to burn out and have to be replaced (common RV fridge problem).)

http://www.thetford.com/Home/Products/NorcoldRefrigeratorsHome/323T/tabid/209/Default.aspx

(there's a typo on that page - they show the AC load as 12V, but it's really 120V)

I looked very hard at replacing that with an electric unit, but it's bulletproof and I need to haul propane for cooking anyway...it just doesn't make sense to switch to electric and try to run it off solar. I do have a house battery, and I'll add a solar panel and charger to keep it charged, but I won't even begin to try putting in enough solar to run an electric fridge.

As for running my little Norcold from electric - yikes. It draws 11.7a@12v (and since it is constantly heating the ammonia absorption, that is constant - no cycling on and off), which would take my 100ah house battery down to 50% in about 5 hours.

And running it through an inverter would draw 1.4a of 120v, but that's no different since the inverter would draw 11.4a of 12v in order to create 1.4a of 120v.

To run it 24/7 would draw 281ah per day out of the batteries (if I even HAD that much battery). And there's that pesky math again...I would need about 600ah of battery to feed that fridge and still keep the battery depth of discharge at 50% or less (to get many cycles of life out of them), and I'd need to feed the batteries 300ah of power a day to replace what the fridge took out.

If I used the 135w panels, that's about 7.5ah each. So I'd need 40 hours of sunlight to replace 300ah with one 7.5ah panel, or 20 hours with 2 panels, or 10 hours with 4 panels or 5 hours with 8 135w solar panels. I put that in bold because 5 hours per day of good full sunlight is about what one can reasonably expect the average solar setup to harvest.

So, running my (dinky, smallest they make) ammonia absorption fridge on solar would be a horror - I'd need 8 135w solar panels and 600ah of batteries - I'll just stick to propane for that little bad boy.

Your bar fridge wouldn't be as bad since it must cycle on and off, but I have a very hard time believing that it'll run for a week from a pair of 125ah batteries.

Have been looking for alternatives to harvest my home from the sun and wind But nun of them seem to be feesable at the present time , even built a small wind generator a wile back .

So if you have an alternative I'm all ears.

P.S. If these questions are not valid in this forum or upsets other people like Kamala then forgive me, and delete this post , I do not wish to make anyone uncomfortable .

Nah, don't sweat it - Kamala was just being grouchy. All us old fuddy-duddys reserve the right be grouchy and snap at people now and again.
  • dwh
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    I believe there is a mistake/misunderstanding somewhere... I think that should be ~1 amps at 120 VAC or ~10 amps at 12 VDC for a standard compressor based refrigerator/bar fridge. (around 120 watts +/-)

-Bill :confused:

You must be right...

I think I must have transposed whatever the number was that I saw on the bar fridge into the 11a number and then remembered it that way. 11a I think must be what I figured at the time it would draw from 12v. (It was months ago.)

I'll edit and fix my goof. Thanks for the correction.

[EDIT: Goof in post above fixed.]
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    dwh wrote: »
    Nah, don't sweat it - Kamala was just being grouchy. All us old fuddy-duddys reserve the right be grouchy and snap at people now and again.

Actually, this old fuddy-duddy has an alligator named "Duncan" who snaps at people for me. :p