Re doing the Battery Box

2»

Comments

• cajun666
    cajun666 Solar Expert Posts: 27
    Re: Re doing the Battery Box
    icarus wrote: »
    The trick with the hammer crimper is to put it on a hard (massive) surface, anvil is nice, and hit it HARD with a heavy hammer. I use a ~3# hand sledge and it works great!

Harbor Freight or Northern sells a pretty inexpensive hydraulic crimper, but I suspect the quality is not real good.

Tony
    Harbor Freight hydraulic crimper
    work great

the size of dies r off do

but i love the one i got
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    icarus wrote: »
    The trick with the hammer crimper is to put it on a hard (massive) surface, anvil is nice, and hit it HARD with a heavy hammer. I use a ~3# hand sledge and it works great!

Harbor Freight or Northern sells a pretty inexpensive hydraulic crimper, but I suspect the quality is not real good.

Tony
    The hammer crimper is just a small, portable crimping. It does a good job when you cant carry a large crimping tool. It did not know that was from NOCO. I have been using NOCO Battery Boxes (large battery boxes) for housing my batteries. It savings alot of time from making my own. They have dual L16 battery box that works well. You can get the dimensions from www.noco-usa.com
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

If you are going to put all the positives together on one bus bar, and all the negs together, you are going to have a 16 cell 6 volt battery!

If you are going to 48 vdc you are going to need to string 8 L-16s together in series (+to -to+ to - etc) and then connect that to a second identical string, making 2 48 vdc series/ parallel batteries.

Tony
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Discussion about battery fusing/connections moved to its own thread here:

Trying Off-Grid Solar Again, Looking for Guidance

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset