making a battery

ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
has anyone tried making their own large storage battery? If so, what formula did you use for the plates??

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: making a battery

This is not in any way a safe or practical thing to do.
    Better you should make your own panels or wind genny.

(If this starts an argument I'm deleting it and any other 'controversial' posts I've made.) :roll:
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

From the Working FAQ thread:
    BB. wrote: »
    Eric/Westbranch posted a link to a 1922 battery repair manual. A very interesting read and look back almost 90 years at technology and mass production (near the end are some factory photographs).

Antique battery info (1922) (thread)

And here is the direct link to the table of contents:

THE AUTOMOBILE STORAGE BATTERY ITS CARE AND REPAIR

Despite the title, also includes information on storage batteries too (Farm Lighting Batteries).

Interesting in that the technology is not much more than a DIY person could attempt (except for the dieing of lead poisoning thing.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Sulphuric acid isn't exactly Kool-Ade either. :cool:
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

I personally think making own lead acid batteries should only be done after you have learnt and done own brain surgery... Its not that difficult really to do only need good knife and bone saw . After you perfect that it no problem "playing" with molten lead and sulphuric acid. :grr
    And I dont recommend as some one else said making own solar panels unless you just have too much time and energy on your hands and looking to waste that .:p
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Easy on the humor guys (yes, me too :blush:) -- does not always read well on the Internet...

ws9876--we mean well.

-Bill ;)
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset