westbranch
westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
I just got sent this link that someone has graciously posted. :D
Quite neat reading...Not finished reading yet though... a long one

http://www.powerstream.com/1922/battery_1922_WITTE/batteryfiles/chapter15.htm

cheers
Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
West Chilcotin, BC, Canada

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Antique battery info (1922)

Very interesting, Eric, Thanks for the post.

When I was a kid (IAM that old !), there were battery repair shops, and those batteries were sealed as shown in this article.

Thanks again ... get the torch ! Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Eric,

Pretty cool,

Here is the best part:

"Call up the owner, and tell him he needs a new battery. If he does not seem pleased, ask him to come to your shop. Then show him his battery, and explain its condition. If you are courteous and patient, you will sell him a new battery. Otherwise he will never return."

Tony
  • blackswan555
    blackswan555 Solar Expert Posts: 246 ✭✭
    Options

Nice link, that was a bit before health and safety was invented ? lol Look at the guys hand`s :cry:

Have a good one
    Tim
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sounds like 'jacking up the carborator and driving a new car under it'.

How 'bout the shoes in Fig 196.

Some good pics on how plates gets bad.

Some good, some bad info.

There was a thread I read from somewhere about year or two ago from a guy that tried to rebuild a battery. Everyone jumped on him about the hazard. He replied that he had a taste of metal in his mouth for about a week and half. Positive plate lead-dioxide creates airborne dust when plate dried out.

After all his trouble he did not accomplish much. He did not get much capacity out of his rebuilt battery.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

What do you mean "antique"?! I used to do that! :p There were still "tar top" batteries (as we used to call them) back in the sixties.
    BTW: the interior of a modern battery isn't much different; it's just harder to get at and do anything about.

Thank you for that "blast from the past"! Ah, sweet nostalgia. :D