costs for a home solar system

Options
Hi All,
New to the site, very informative. Question: what is the most expensive part of a home solar system? is it the panels or the wiring including converter, etc.I realize a lot can go into a system so im not looking for exact, just "matter of fact". Any info is appreciated.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: costs for a home solar system

Our host, NAWS, has some sample quote for various solar systems (GT and Off-Grid).

My two cents, roughly 1/3 panels, 1/3 hardware+inverter, 1/3 installation labor/design costs (and permits). But prices are changing so much, (panels down, batteries up, hardware +/-, labor down?)--it is difficult to be accurate (I am not in the solar RE business--Much of the pricing is on-line and a good place to start).

If you have an off grid system--the batteries cost as much (or more, especially if you include replacement every 4-8 years) than the solar panels. Plus you have quite a bit of losses from the battery bank and extra inverter losses.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

To answer the inverse question,, what is the cheapest part of a PV system? Answer; Conservation. Every dollar spent on conservation will save ~$5-10 in PV costs. By not overlooking simple things, you can down size a PV system such that the cost can get to be quite reasonable. It is much easier to save a KWH than it is to generate one (on a regular, on going basis).

Welcome to the forum, and feel free to ask questions. There are some very smart folks here (Bill being one of them!) who have forgotten more about systems and process than most of us will ever know.

Tony
  • BB.
    Options
    icarus wrote: »
    (Bill being one of them!) who have forgotten more about systems and process than most of us will ever know.

More of a problem than you know... :roll:

-Bill

PS: Forgotten... Need to add missing link to my post above pointing to NAWS sample quotes... :roll::roll:
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah conservation is pretty key, I know in my situation I cover about 100% of my daytime usage with room to spare. I am adding on to my load profile by adding a 700 sq.ft garage/workshop/office however, but before I add more solar I am looking at the next few conservation measures first.

For instance:
    Upgrade 10 seer 2.5 ton AC unit to 17.5 seer
    Upgrade Fridge to energy star
    Look at radiant barrier for the roof
    Insulate existing garage space.
    Add reflect film to about 1/2 my windows.

I am pretty sure those will be a net gain enough to preclude adding more solar.
    But if you really want to know how much effect the conservation make you need to measure it.

By measuring my system, I found that replacing an old deep freeze with an energy star model saved a real measurable amount.

Edit:
    Interestingly measuring also lets me know that the old 2.5 ton AC unit draws 3600 watt while the replaced 3 ton AC already upgraded to 17.5 seer only draws about 2400 watts.

My gain by upgrading at least 1200 watts.
  • BB.
    Options

Another issue with running solar systems only during the summer--They do collect energy year round and you are losing a significant amount of energy collection--which increases your $$$/kWH costs too (same costs spread over very kWH used because of limited "on time").

-Bill
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

thanks Bill for the info. I was considering solar for my home, still pretty costly, if I were to wire up my home and later add panels which seem to be the most expensive part of solar, do you think the rebates from the state, etc. would be available?
    j
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sunnyj wrote: »
    do you think the rebates from the state, etc. would be available? j

States are starting to go broke, and I don't know if I'd count on future rebates.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    Options

Yea--Spectacularly broke.

Also, somebody here said their power company is implementing significant increases for connection charges (mine is ~$5 per month, his was $25 per month--my pre-solar GT electric bill was ~$30-$40 or so per month).

In reality, GT solar only makes economic sense because of the use of laws and regulations to "adjust" the market costs of selling power.

It is entirely possible that this this government fiat will be unsustainable in the future too--and that my $30,000 GT system (5 years ago, $20k after rebates) will end up being economically nonviable too if the rules/laws change again if I only save $5 -$10 per month on my power bill (if my connection charges go up too).

-Bill

PS: I believe that it is usually better to install a system at once and spread out the fixed costs (transpiration, permits, utility approvals,, engineering charges, getting contractor to site, etc.) and volume discounts, rebates, etc.) with volume discounts for larger systems.

Otherwise, I believe that ~3.5 kW of solar arrays (3kW GT System) is about the minimum increments I would suggest building out.

Asks for a couple of quotes and see what the contractors will do for you--They most likely, would give you better pricing for a larger system today, rather than 2 or 3 installs in the future.