Need help/advice

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
I am going to the Boy Scout National Jamboree. I use a cpap machine at night to breathe correctly. I currently use a deep cycle battery to run an inverter and plug my machine into that at night. I get 3 days from a charge. At the Jamboree there will not be a means to charge the battery/batteries. I am looking at the possibility of a solar panel charging setup to charge the batteries. The logistics are as follows.

1. need to have power for a total of 21 days.
2. power consumption of the cpap machine is 1 amp/120v
3. can not have any batteries that might spill liquid (must be gel cell or sealed)
4. panels must be able to charge battery in 2 days full sun or 3 days partial sun
5. Unit will be stationary (will not have to move)

Please give me your suggestions.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Need help/advice

120 watts for machine (1 amp * 120 volts)?

Is there a version that does not use so much power?
    • 10 hours * 1 amp * 120 VAC * 1/0.52 system efficiency = 2,300 Watt*Hours required
    Depending on sun, season, and location, 4-6 hours of sun would mean around 400-600 watts of solar panel (very rough estimate)... Frankly, probably not practical.

I am guessing that the 120 watts is not correct--or there are other manufacturers that offer portable solutions that use vastly less power... Here is one thread:

Solar Backup for CPAP Machine.

I am guessing your power need is closer to 1 amp at 12 volts (or 12 watts)... That is a much more practical camping load (then you may be looking at 40-60 watts of panels instead)...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

the 1a 120vac rating is probably correct and would be troublesome to come up with the necessary power in the field for it. large costly battery banks and large costly pv arrays aren't something you'd want to take camping with you and is a dilemma. you may want to talk to your doctor as to a possible solution and he may need to refer you to different manufacturers to see if you can come up with one that'll suit your needs power wise as 12v dc operations will be better suited. the doc obviously needs to be involved as these are prescribed.
    if you can come up with a cpap that is more manageable powerwise, then we can talk of the solar and battery needs for it. going from 1a at 120vac unit to 1a at 12vdc unit would be more than a 10 fold power difference and the elimination of a small sine wave inverter. even at the 1a 12vdc level it can get rather large in the battery and pv capacities for field use, but would be far better than what's needed with 120vac at 1a and you gotta do what you gotta do. it will be an expense. that i am sure of.
    if you come up with a suitable unit for portable operations then please share with us the make and model number of it along with its specs that others with sleep apnea in the same situation can address. we'd need the info anyway to address the battery and pv info.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does your CPAP plug directly into the wall, or does it have a "power brick on a cord" adapter? Mine [REMstar M] has a "brick on cord" adapter, and takes 12V @ 4.2A (about 50 watts). You will have to forgo the humidifier. You can research low power machines, and try to get a new one, or maybe a short term lease.

Battery would be a sealed AGM battery, which is drip proof. (till the airlines crush it).

But the solar panel is the pricey thing. Also, most Jamborees are near something civilized, and for this length of time, there IS power, it's just hogged by the exec's. CPAP is a medical device, just like a powered wheelchair, and I doubt the Jamboree has a no power chair policy. You just need to find the right person to contact. Special needs department or something.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

very good points mike. my remstar is older and is only 110vac or 220vac. it's so old that you can't put a humidifier on mine and it is 1a.:cry: newer ones are expensive if you need another cpap and it could exceed that of the pv price depending on your draw. this would not be the case for mike though as the pv costs for him would be higher.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

Our pathfinder club went to a similar camporee last summer and kicked myself I did not bring along a solar setup. Visualize 35,000 campers (no joke - tents as far as you could see) with no electricity for a week except a few outlets way off at the shower facility. I could have had a great time charging all the local cellphones.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    smtroop17 wrote: »
    I am going to the Boy Scout National Jamboree.

Driving or flying? Driving, you can bring all sorts of stuff, PV on the roof while you are camped, and tote the battery back & forth. Flying, the panel won't make it.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,