Canadian PV code requirments

I can't find anywhere.
Max allowable PV Isc and Vsc
Disconnect placement (Beside meter?, Conduit below 8 Ft? Standard service head with drip loop)
Is it permissable to run down the middle of the house in rigid conduit?(previous Q may answer this one).

Yes I am new at Alt E So school me up.

I am electrically inclined so it won't be electricity 101. I completely rewired my house and passed the final inspection a few months back with only a couple minor issues.

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Canadian PV code requirments

Topper,

The Canadian Electrical Code Section 50 covers Solar RE systems, and you may also want to check other Sections (i.e., 84) as well as provincial / territorial supplements.

For design and compliance purposes, the PV source circuit "Voltage Rating" is defined as the array's STC Voc x 125%. Unlike the U.S. NEC Article 690.7, there is no graduated low-temperature multiplier for STC Voc; it's just 125%, period. However, a draft proposal has been submitted to modify this section of the CEC and bring it more or less in line with the NEC.

The "Current Rating" is defined as the array's STC Isc x 125%.

Here's a link to an old CanSIA document. It may get you started in the right direction.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • topper
    topper Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭

Found a bunch in section 50 and associated refences since my original post. I was not sure if CEC had max Isc limitations of 47A per array such as the NEC has. Not that I would want to exceed 45-50A given most MPPT's limitations of 60A.
    My problem now is in grounding/bonding. It seems that each inspector has a different view on proper grounding.
    I have talked to 3 inspectors and each has given me a different set of requirements. Looks like Saskpower has to get their poop in a group. I want to get something rolling by early fall.
    Still working on designing 2KW +/- of array. It seems to be a challenge with temps ranging from -40*C to +40*C. Still trying to get everything asthetically symetrical per string. With 80* worth of temp variance looks like 2 or 3 MPPT's to keep ahead of Voc and Isc. Anyway still deciding on PV's.
    Thank you PV watts. I'd be out of my scull by now.
  • crewzer
    Still working on designing 2KW +/- of array. It seems to be a challenge with temps ranging from -40*C to +40*C.

This is no longer particularly difficult to do. What nominal battery voltage are you considering?

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • topper

I am going for an XW 6048 with +/- 2KW on the roof. 48 Volt system, and have not decided on battery capacity yet. I'm still in the shoot for the moon mentality. ya know 200, 000 Ahrs so I'm good for 10 yrs of no sun type thing.
    Realistically, I would like 1000 Ahrs but will probably settle on 600.
    I have trojans, C&D, surrette, and a couple other brands available within 120 miles.
    Edit:
    I guess I was thimking on a 24 volt and so needed 2 Mppt's to handle the amperage.
    According to the XW calculator:
    9-Canadian solar 220Watt arranged 3x3 = STC of 1980W@36Adc PTC 1809W@33Adc
    12 Canadian solar 220Watt arranged 4x3=STC of 2640W@48Adc PTC 2413W@44Adc
  • crewzer

Specifying PV arrays that are code-compliant, work within the typical 150 Vdc limit in the winter, and still deliver sufficient charging voltage in the summer for a 48 Vdc battery bank is no longer an issue, IMHO.

The "old" answer was to use five "12 V" modules wires in series to create a "60 V" array. Each "12 V" module contained 36 cells, so the string total was 180 cells in series. These 36-cell modules are still available from several manufacturers, but their STC power spec is typically under 150 W.

Even at -40 C/-40 F, the Voc was typically <140 V, and the hot summer (cell temp ~75C) Vmp was enough to overcome losses in the wiring and charge controller and still push the battery bank to at least the absorption target voltage, and often to the EQ voltage.

The "new" solution is to use three "20 V" modules wired in series to create a "60 V" array. Each "20 V" module contains 60 cells, so the string total is 180 cells in series.

This configuration is compliant with CEC Section 50, the charge controller's max Voc input (150 Vdc absolute), and the max voltage specs for typical PV combiner box DC ciurcuit breakers (also 150 Vdc)

60-cell "20 V" modules are available (in alphabetical order) from BP, Canadian Solar, Kyocera, Mitsubishi, REC, Sharp, SolarWord, and perhaps others.

Evergreen Solar makes their own unique nominal "12 V" modules, the ES-A (114 "string ribbon" cells) and ES-B models (108 "string ribbon" cells). These can be wired in series strings of five. The higher voltage models will have CEC voltages between 140 V and 150 V. Under 150 V is OK per component specs, but >140 may cause the XW MPPT CC to briefly suspend operation on a very cold morning until the modules warm up and the Voc drops.

Configured for a 48 V battery-based system, a single XW 60 A charge controller will have no trouble managing a 2 kW STC PV array. Nominal 48 V battery bank size for a 2KW array would be ~500 Ah to ~600 Ah.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    topper wrote: »
    I am going for an XW 6048 with +/- 2KW on the roof. 48 Volt system, and have not decided on battery capacity yet.

Actually, your array size, determines your battery capacity. Too large of a battery, will not get properly recharged.

As for panel voltage, I run 3 strings of 5 (200W, 12V) panels which is right up to my controllers full load @ 48V.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• topper

Thank-you for all your input. It is much appreciated.
    Now I am looking for a post I found here concerning roof mount stand-offs for shingled roofs. They were a flat self sealing plate with a single lag per standoff.
    Name of maufacturer???
    I have also decided to spend the $$ and get quality unirack panel mounts.

I can't beleive how much solar has dropped in $$. It's getting more affordable every month it seems. Pallet sales all over and most of it is name brand.(can't justify no name on this one)
  • crewzer

Not a recommendation , but here's one mfr to consider. I like the fact that they offer extensions to increase the spacing between the roof and array. This improves array cooling and therefore increases array output voltage and power.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • topper

Thanks crewzer
    That is the one. Now I have to source them.
  • crewzer

Glad to help. You might also want to check out the roof mounting article (page 74) in the latest issue of Home Power magazine (#137, June & July 2010).

Greetings from Phoenix!
    Jim / crewzer