Remote location in the Caribbean looking for the right balance

royalblood
royalblood Registered Users Posts: 5
Been reading the forums trying to get a feel for the different setup to see if i am on the right track.

I have ordered to start so far
.210 Watt CIGS Solar Kit.ie 3 70watt pannels
. Wagan 5000 Watt/10000 Watt Power Inverter.
.I am researching on batteries at this time.

I have seen on this site a combination of batteries ,panel output and converter to create what some one call a "sweet spot" i am guessing this is a setup with the right balance.

can some one guide me so far on what i have what batteries ratings i can order to suit this set up.

The aim is to power a simple cabin style home in the forest.
any advice would be great.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Remote location in the Caribbean looking for the right balance

actually it is better to ask first and then buy. the system will be dictated by what your daily watt hour (wh) loads are. then figure what batteries and capacity to use in keeping with these loads and often more for up to several days without sun and not depleting the batteries below 50%. after all of that then the controller and pv system is addressed to provide the necessary charge to the batteries.
    why the big wattage modified sine wave inverter for there's no way you should ever need that big of a load for a cabin? when you are running low power items on it it will be such that the inverter will be extremely inefficient.
  • royalblood

My daily watt hrs will be 2985 we can round that off to 3000 Watt hrs (
    The house is basic
    washer .
    16 Cubic inch Fridge.
    10lights 10watts each suckets ,No TV,
    2 lap tops.
    basic radio for news.

I have access to 150 Ah 12 volts batteries. I am gathering that i would need 10 of these to give the power per day and also have charge for 2 other cloudy days.

The reason I made purchases on Inverter and panels is that i felt once bought i could add before the house is completed . I know i can add panels and or batteries.

The Area is also windy am also looking at a 400 Watts Wind generator and 3 more 70 watt panels.

No batteries have been purchased yet ..I have the funds earmark for batteries and i have already sourced 10 x 150Ah Dry Matt glass 12V.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do not even THINK of mounting wind generators on your house, the vibration will turn the walls and roof into a sounding board. And they have to be far enough away so when they throw a blade, it won't hit you or your neighbor.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    royalblood wrote: »
    My daily watt hrs will be 2985 we can round that off to 3000 Watt hrs (
    The house is basic
    washer .
    16 Cubic inch Fridge.
    10lights 10watts each suckets ,No TV,
    2 lap tops.
    basic radio for news.

I could not find any solar radiation numbers for Trinidad (guessing that is where you are located)... Let us assume that you get 5 hours of sun for much of the year. You have 77% panel+controller efficiency, 80% for the battery, and 85% for the inverter. And you want 3,000 Watt*Hours of power per day.
    • 0.77*0.80*0.85 = 0.52 efficiency from Solar panel to AC Inverter
    • 3,000 WH * 1/0.52 eff * 1/5 hours of sun = 1,154 watts of solar panels minimum
    If, you have significant cloud cover, your poor producing months can probably be down in the 3 hours of sun per day... So, you have a choice of using a generator (or AC Utility Power if available) and/or adding more solar panels:
    • 3,000 WH * 1/0.52 eff * 1/3 hours of sun = 1,900 watts of solar panels during poor weather
    I have access to 150 Ah 12 volts batteries. I am gathering that i would need 10 of these to give the power per day and also have charge for 2 other cloudy days.

For battery banks, we start with the rule of thumb of 3 days of no sun and 50% maximum discharge (for deep cycle batteries--automotive/truck batteries are not designed for this level of discharge and may fail much quicker).
    • 3,000 WH * 1/0.85 inverter eff * 1/12 volt battery bank * 3 days * 1/0.50 discharge = 1,764 Amp*Hours
    Now, that is a very large battery bank and your 10x 150 AH battery bank is very close to the recommendation. If you don't want that much storage--people have used 1/2 that amount--but they need to run their backup generator more often to keep the batteries from over discharging (taking a lead acid battery below 80% discharge / 20% state of charge, runs the risk of permanently damaging the battery bank).
    The reason I made purchases on Inverter and panels is that i felt once bought i could add before the house is completed . I know i can add panels and or batteries.

Be careful with the inverter and power usage... Depending on what kind/model you have, the inverters can burn from 6 - 20+ watts just because the have DC power applied.
    • 6 watts * 24 hours = 144 Watt*Hours just for a small inverter's idling current.
    The Area is also windy am also looking at a 400 Watts Wind generator and 3 more 70 watt panels.

Location and tower height is very important for wind... Your site needs to be 300-500 feet from obstructions and the blades of the turbine need to be at least 30' above any obstructions. Typically, a tower would be around 60 feet tall as a minimum recommendation unless you have very clean prevailing winds. If they site has gusty/turbulent wind at the height you plan on flying the turbine--It is unlikely that you will get much useful power from the turbine.

Do you have any nearby neighbors that are running wind turbines? Are they happy with there installations? Have they run them for more than 1-2 years yet?
    No batteries have been purchased yet ..I have the funds earmark for batteries and i have already sourced 10 x 150Ah Dry Matt glass 12V.

AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries are about the perfect lead acid battery you can get (other than being roughly 2x the cost of flooded cell batteries). Very clean and efficient (use 90% efficiency instead of 80% that I used in the above equations if you wish). However, they are very susceptible to damage from over charging. Make sure you have good quality charge controllers (sun and wind) and it is recommended that you purchase Charge Controllers that have a Remote Battery Temperature Sensor Option to help better manage your bank's state of charge.

Also, since you cannot use a hydrometer to measure the specific gravity of your electrolyte (battery water)--I would highly recommend that you get a Battery Monitor (Amp*Hour / Watt*Hour meter that measures the current/power flowing into and out of your battery bank) of some sort to help you watch the state of charge of your battery bank.

Battery Monitors from our host
    Victron Battery Monitors

Also, when wiring battery strings in parallel--you need to balance the wiring so that all batteries are equally charged and discharged. Here is a good site that describes several ways of wiring the battery bank in parallel:

Smart Gauge

Also, it is recommended that you place a fuse in each parallel connected battery connection to the positive bus... I know that many people do not do this and get away without proper fuses and/or circuit breakers. Always make sure your battery and wiring is in some place that a short circuit/fire does not place your family at risk (non-flammable floor, metal box, etc.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • royalblood

I am on small Island off of Trinidad call Tobago. This Island is known for sunlight its where all the tourist come to get their sun baths :D
    We get more than on average of 5 hours a day. We are close to the equator.
    We have a dry and wet season. Both have significant sunlight trough out. we hardly have more than 1day of cloud cover unless we have an approaching hurricane.
    I am about to purchase a small generator. I was trying to work out how to get a 14vDC from the generator to charge the battery bank When the batteries go under 60% full charge.

10 Dry Matt glass 12V batteries =$20,000TT
    Backup Generator (gas) = $8000TT.

Since i started wrong in the first place.I just want to make the corrections necessary.
    The panels (3 x 70 watts) are on the way already. I am seeing i need at least 8 panels. am i correct.
    Or to prevent under charge should i cut back on my batteries to 8.
    the generator is to assist in house construction so at the end i would have it to back up my power anyway.

But for now would you recommend i get 8 panels more to match the 10 batteries ?
  • BB.

A good panel to battery ratio is in the area of 5%-13% (AGM can accept a wider range).
    • 1,500 AH * 0.05 =75 amps
    • 75 amps * 17.5 volt Vmp panel (assuming PWM controller) = 1,300 watts of panels
    Now, if you are just storing the batteries (and have a generator to do charging when needed)--you could go down to ~1%:
    • 1,500 AH * 17.5 Vmp * 0.01 = 263 watts to trickle charge bank
    So, the choice is really yours--You need the panels (and backup genset) to replace the power you are planning on using, plus any losses.

The above numbers are just rules of thumb/estimates to get you in the right area.

Since you already have some of the components. Setup the system and monitor the battery bank state of charge (if you don't have a Battery Monitor, you will have to use an accurate volt meter (12.xx volt accuracy at least) to measure the resting voltage (and charging voltage) of your battery bank (and monitor charging current too).

Do you have any charging information or instruction manual for your battery bank? AGM's are nice batteries but you need to watch their voltage and current closely since you cannot monitor electrolyte specific gravity with sealed batteries.

Typically, for folks that have a generator and not many solar panels... You run the generator during the day to support large loads (saws, compressors, etc.) and charge your battery bank. And run from the bank+inverter for evening/night loads when you don't need much power and want to have some quiet time.

Also, you could run your small loads from the battery bank during the days when you are not using power saws and other heavy loads.

Ideally, you want to run your generator around 50% loading... As the loads drop, fuel flow typically remains around 50% and you start using a lot of fuel for a little bit of electricity.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel

resistive losses could also be 1-5% and if you have cloudy or rainy seasons then i don't think you'll get the 5hrs per day on average for full sun hours. full sun hours are different than just the sun is out for it is based on the solar intensity of 1000w/m^2. as such you may need to figure on maybe 4hrs of full sun per day as a rough guess during those off times and it could possibly be less.
    i should also mention that the 5% minimum charge rate can be negated if one draws a load at the same time.
    example 1> 5a from pv and a 2a load yields a 3a charge. if that's a 100ah battery it is now under the 5% minimum as it would be 3%.
    example 2> 5a from pv and a 9a load yields a net battery loss of 4a for that same 100ah battery for a 0% charge rate.
    i also would discourage the use of a modsine inverter for such items that contain electric motors. this includes fans and compressors as they will draw more power than their normal draw under sinewave. it won't be just a percent or 2 either as this could be capable of over 20% more. this could also lessen the life of those items with the extra heat generated from dissipating more power.
    so as you can see it isn't quite as simple as one may think and even we tend to forget about aspects at times.
  • royalblood

All this is begging to seem daunting. Am seeing its not possible or its not feasable to start with a small system and build on it. Am getting the impression its start big or nothing 20 panels,10 batteries, etc just to run a fridge and prepare for 3 days outage.
  • niel

expandability is a tough thing to achieve with solar at times, but it is not impossible in limited ways if one knows what they are doing and properly plan for it. we can't always do it for you either as we don't always know all parameters and requirements you'd want or need that an experienced person may even somewhat overlook in this quest. batteries and battery capacity is probably the biggest factor concerning expansions, but not the only one as working voltages for both battery banks and pvs could also come into play just to name a few other parameters. foreseen and unforeseen factors can also be more costly at times.
  • BB.

A small system may be 12 volt battery bank, 300 watt inverter, charge controller and 200-400 watts of panels. This would be large enough (for many people, of course, depends on your location, weather, and actual power needs) to run a few lights, a small pump to pressurize for sink/shower, a few lights, radio, and a laptop computer + some sort of remote Internet for a few hours per day.

A larger system would be 12-24 volts, 1,200-1,500 watt inverter, maybe 500-700 watts of panels (again, depending on area), a 2x larger battery bank, and you could add an energy star refrigerator or a chest freezer conversion (less power draw).

etc....

In the end, the most cost efficient solution is to start with your known power needs.

Of grid solar power is expensive. Costs can be reduced somewhat with used equipment and doing your own install.

In the end, most of the time, you need to do a couple different paper designs and see what is most cost effective for you and best meets your needs. Also, you need to look at your seasonal power needs... There is a point where it is, many times, cheaper to run a small gasoline/diesel generator to cover for stretches of bad weather/less than sunny times of the year.

You also mentioned being in a forest--Do you have an open area where you panels can get full sun (no shade) for much of the day?

-Bill