Battery/Panel requirements for electric fence charger

Options
mhillerbrand
mhillerbrand Registered Users Posts: 5
I bought a new 12v battery powered electric fence charger that draws about 1/2 amp for our farm. I want to purchase a battery and solar panel to keep the charger functional 24/7. The European manufacturer recommended a 100AH battery with a 20watt panel. We get a lot of sunlight here in NC (more than in cloudy Europe), so it seems like the battery is oversized and the solar panel is undersized. I want to optimize the two at the lowest combined cost. I would appreciate any recommendations.

Also, what would the additional requirements be to run a <5 amp chest freezer from a 110volt inverter drawing off of the same battery for 8 hours one day a week? (we would move the freezer to the farm to sell ice cream on Saturdays, then move it back home and plug it in again to metered power). Recommendations are appreciated!

How would I calculate battery/panel requirements for a similar situation in the future?

Thanks everybody!!!

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Battery/Panel requirements for electric fence charger

at least you know what your loads are to be and that's a good start. for the el fence 1/2a x 24hrs is 12ah and if 4 days autonomy (backup) that's 48ah and is 52% soc (state of charge) and you don't want this under 50%. normally 3 days autonomy is what is recommended, but 100ah is a common capacity for a battery. for 3 days it would be a 36ah load and for 50% soc this means no less than 72ah battery capacity.
    the 20w pv they cite is coming up short as you should minimally be able to feed 5% to the battery and up to about 13%. for a 100ah battery this is 5a and equates roughly to about a 90w-100w pv. this seems allot for the loads you normally see, but the loads are 24/7. if you get even as low as 3hrs of full sun (which is low for summer, but may be high for winter) a day that we are talking about 15ah from a 5a pv. with loads at 12ah a day this is a 3ah margin so it's about right. if you expect more cloudy/rainy days per week or are needing more for winter then use a pv that is rated higher as added insurance.

as to adding the chest freezer we are in a different realm as it will need far more power and the added losses introduced from inverter efficiency. the 5a at 110vac is about 550w and must store 8hrs worth of that power for 4400wh. for 12v battery power this is at 367ah and to prevent going below 50% soc this is now doubled to 734ah minimally. now it may be advisable to go to maybe a 24v or even 48v inverter and battery system to keep current levels in wires down which helps reduce losses and wire sizing. without going below 50% soc this is 367ah battery capacity for 24v and 184ah at 48v respectively. charging losses can be 20% with fla type batteries and about 10% with agm types, but you guessed it agms cost more. you may want agms anyway as they do not normally vent hydrogen which is explosive when it concentrates. i'll assume the added 10% for agm style batteries and go with a 24v battery system for a total capacity of 404ah minimally.
    now for charging the battery bank you already know it will be at least a 5% rate normally recommended and this is 20.2a. now i will assume this to be getting roughly 20hrs of full sun over the 7 day period (may be a high estimate depending on where you are) which is a perfect match for the 5% as that is based on a 20hr rate anyway. the result is 20.2a of current from a 24v pv (vmp at least 34v) as a minimum. you will of course only need half of the 20hr rate because the other half of the batteries you did not use in making sure one does not kill the batteries. this now cuts in half that pv requirement to 10.1a and is now a 2.5% rate of charge. now there are other losses that can occur and you could add another 10-20% to the charge rate to help overcome them which puts it at roughly 11a-12a from pv. the real problem is 2.5% is a low charge rate and for long-term charging as you propose here it should not be below a 3% charge rate which that turns out to be about 11a making an 11a-12a 24v pv system viable.
    the inverter should be a sine wave type and to insure proper compressor starting you may need at least a 1500w rating and most likely a 2000w rating. the guys can kick this around more.

in general, you will not find batteries that give the exacting requirement that is calculated and when batteries age you could lose a bit of capacity so upping to the next commercially available capacity area is warranted. after that make sure the pvs will supply the power needed, not only by the loads, but also to properly charge the battery.
    also i would recommend an mppt controller with battery temperature sensor for the freezer. the fence can be a simpler pwm, but if you would like an mppt would work also and as always i recommend the use of a bts.
    do make sure the pvs can be aimed south at the proper angle or you may need even more pv capacity.

i hope i covered it all and didn't goof, but in general there are many variables to this stuff so there isn't a hard and fast formula. you can get a good idea from my train of thought in explaining this to you, or at least i hope i explained it well enough.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

They actually make solar-powered fence chargers like this: http://www.princessauto.com/farm/fencing/electric/8027208-12v-solar-powered-fence-energizer
    That's likely to be more efficient than trying to run a 120VAC model off an inverter or even running a 12VDC model and recharging it via panel. It's built to do this; the guess work is removed.

But on the whole, I agree with you that a 20W panel is too small to keep up a 100 amp/hr battery.

As for running a freezer ... There must be a thousand posts on this forum by now about the difficulties of running refrigeration off solar. Your freezer may say it uses <5 Amp (600 Watts) but it's ignoring the massive start-up surge inherent in all compressors. Have you considered using a small, inverter-type portable generator instead? It's likely to be more economical for a short-term high power output.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,443 admin
    Options

Regarding the Freezer... 5 amps @120 volts * 8 hours. You would be best to measure with a Kill-a-Watt meter... Many of the newer Energy Star Freezers use only 150 watts or so (unless auto defrosting).

Basically, for the inverter, 1,200-1,500 watts minimum (True Sine Wave recommended).

For the battery bank... If you are using 5amp*120vac=700 watts (of course, plug in your own numbers--below is a worst case estimate--your freezer, if pre-cooled, should run around a 50% duty cycle and make your true power use 1/2 that below):
    • 700 watts * 1/12 volt battery * 1/0.85 eff inverter * 8 hours * 1/0.50 max discharge = 137 AH @ 12 volts
    Otherwise, a Honda eu2000i (less than $1,000 on line?) would be a nice one. Will probably run on 1.1 gallons of gas (1 tank full) for 10-12 hours... No inverter or battery costs--just fuel when running.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • lorelec
    lorelec Solar Expert Posts: 200 ✭✭
    Options

I agree with Marc -- go with a prepackaged solar fence charger. I charge several miles of fence with this one from Zareba. It uses a small 6v gel cell and a solar panel that couldn't be more than 10 watts. The original battery lasted five years, and was probably not optimally charged most of that time (long, often dark winters with lots of snow here).

Marc
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Consider a propane fridge/freezer. If you are only going to open it rarely, added insulation on the cabinet will make it use very little propane. I think that Sunfrost makes a freezer, as does dometic. You could also take a propane fridge and turn down the t-stat so the whole case freezes.

We use a small Dometic as a freezer (freezes to ~0f) for those times when we are going to be ice bound for a month or so.

Tony

PS I also think that Norcold makes a 12 vdc compressor RV fridge that only draws ~2 amps @ 12 vdc if memory serves.
  • niel
    Options

i'm thinking (and the op can correct me on this) that the freezer he has is a commercial type freezer and i'm basing this on the high current value he lists. now i don't know if some of the other options everybody is giving is appropriate for him as he already has the freezer, but the op can indicate if he'd consider a new freezer or not.
    i also forgot to include that the realtime draw should be measured due to possible savings in equipment costs in powering it and as bb indicated the kill-a-watt meter can do this for you and you should mimic the same circumstances the freezer will encounter in the field for the measurements. ie hot days in the sun.
  • russedgar
    russedgar Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options

We use a 135 watt panel with a 10 amp controller all from NAWS. Our charger is a 15 Joule Stafix. The battery is a 115. The panel is @ 45 degrees due south.

I think the small "all in one unit" works OK for cattle and/or horses. However, they do not work for sheep and goats where you are down in the grass. We have had seven hundred goats and 900 sheep rotionally grazing under one of these large units. We use a lot of three wire ribbon and twine and start worrying when the voltage drops below 3000.

Best regards,

Russ
  • mhillerbrand
    Options

Thanks everybody for your very helpful suggestions. I am looking into the combined solar panel fence chargers. I have not bought the chest freezer yet. We want sell ice cream at our farm store one day a week. There is no electricity out there, so I am weighing all the options. I would keep it plugged in a home so it was cold when we moved it in the AM. We would then move it back home in the PM. It would be opened and closed a lot during the day, so energy usage is really hard to estimate. Seems like a generator or car based inverter would be a better option. Thanks for all the comments (I welcome any other thoughts anyone has). Mike.
  • BB.
    Options

A car or light truck inverter may not be the answer... Either you have to run the vehicle engine during the parked time (which most likely uses more fuel than an eu2000i)--or you have to change/enlarge the vehicle battery bank/box anyway...

Vehicle batteries are only really designed for something like a 15% discharge, whereas a true deep cycle battery should discharge 50-80% multiple hundreds of cycles... So, a vehicle battery (which tend to be in the 80 AH range) would need to be replaced with a larger deep cycle battery anyway for longer life.

Also, most vehicle alternators, even if they are rated for 80-150 amps tend to really drop way back in output once they get hot--so the drive back may not properly/quickly recharge the battery bank. You may still need an AC charger on the vehicle to get the battery back up anyway.

Not to say you cannot do it--but think it out on paper before you commit the $$$ for the project.

-Bill

PS: Are there any practical alternatives (like dry ice) for your area?
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    Options

the generator may be a good partial answer. you may opt for a smaller battery bank and smaller solar array and supplement with a generator and multistage charger unless you don't want any noise at all there. just a generator would guarantee noise the whole time there and may get on not only your nerves, but also the nerves of any customers. the honda inverter/chargers are said to be quiet, but that's in comparison to the deafening other types so there's still plenty of noise.
  • icarus
    Options

A honda EU 1000 right out side a normally insulated building virtually cannot be heard inside. 100' away it can't be heard either.

2 chained together are a bit louder, but not as loud as an EU 2000.

Tony,

PS. It really is amazing how quiet and fuel efficient they are!
  • mhillerbrand
    Options

I've been wondering how the generator noise might affect the on farm buying "experience". I did notice that the "ultra quiet" generators are quite expensive. Mike.
  • tomba
    tomba Registered Users Posts: 21
    Options
    I've been wondering how the generator noise might affect the on farm buying "experience".

Seems it depends on the customer. But nobody is bothered by quiet.

Going from B.B.'s calculation of 137 AH, I don't see the problem with 3 x 90 AH 12V flooded deep cycles from the hardware store, a 130W panel, and a cheap PWM controller. I know you want to be charging the bank a little faster, but unless it has an adverse impact on battery life, so what if it takes 2-3 days to get back the power expended when the freezer is onsite?

I think you can do it for the price of the ultraquiet generator. Even if you eventually spend a little more for a system with a better sized panel, the satisfaction of deploying off-grid projects where applicable is worth it.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

If you want quiet power you don't necessarily need the generator: just the inverter and batteries plus a good charger. Transport the batteries & inverter with the freezer (how easy is it to move that? :confused:) and re-charge from grid power at home. PV's are expensive. :cry:
  • niel
    Options

you're right marc, but i thought i'd throw in an option for him to possibly save some $ on the batteries. we also assume he has room for that much battery power and that may not be the case either.
  • icarus
    Options

Just a follow up, although it was discussed on another thread:
    http://www.bensdiscountsupply.com/zeropf230pf-230kerosenefreezer78cuftcapacity.aspx

http://gasrefrigerator.net/gas_refrigerator_frostek.htm
  • mhillerbrand
    Options

It will be a small chest freezer to hold a couple of tubs of ice cream, transported on a trailer (no place to store it securely at the farm stand). I like the battery inverter idea. I am assuming that I could use Neils assumptions/calculations for battery requirements, but disregard the panels? Mike.
  • BB.
    Options

I think the panel confusion came from mixing the panels for the off-grid fence charger vs the off-grid Saturday Freezer questions...

You certainly can add a solar panel or two to charge your battery bank while running the freezer--and it would not be a bad thing. However--the expense of the panels (equivalent to big glass windows) and setting them up for 1 day a week use may make them impractical for your needs.

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    It will be a small chest freezer to hold a couple of tubs of ice cream, transported on a trailer (no place to store it securely at the farm stand). I like the battery inverter idea. I am assuming that I could use Neils assumptions/calculations for battery requirements, but disregard the panels? Mike.

Yes; you're just changing the way you recharge the batteries from solar panels to utility power. You need a good battery charger too (not an automotive-type): http://store.solar-electric.com/bach2.html
  • mhillerbrand
    Options

I found another fence charger that runs off of AC/110V but only draws 4.5 watts. Am I correct in my calculation that this is only ~1 amp every 24 hours, and I could run the charger with a small 200 watt inverter; a 20ah battery and a 20 watt panel? Thanks Mike.
  • BB.
    Options

Assuming a 12 volt battery:
    • 4.5 watts * 1/12 volts * 24 hours = 9 AH per day
    Now, the next problem is finding a small inverter---Many of the smaller inverters can idle as high as 6 watts--so the total load:
    • ( 4.5 watts + 6 watts ) * 1/12 volts * 24 hours = 21 AH per day
    Many times, the small losses (such as from an inverter) become more than the real load when operated over 24 hours...

A 20 watt panels would, probably (from my guess) be able to power that sized load.

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

The smallest inverter I've ever seen is 75 Watts. Plugs into the cigarette lighter. Can't say I'd trust it, though; I suspect the circuitry is a couple of high-power switching transistors in a 60 Hz oscillator arrangement. :p

The "overhead" of inverters is one of the big problems with low power requirements.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Could not resist this blast from the past; "PV's are expensive.:cry:"
    If you want quiet power you don't necessarily need the generator: just the inverter and batteries plus a good charger. Transport the batteries & inverter with the freezer (how easy is it to move that? :confused:) and re-charge from grid power at home. PV's are expensive. :cry:
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Wrong context.

PV is still expensive for the power realized, it's just a lot cheaper than it ever has been.
  • softdown
    Options

If batteries and inverters had come down like PVs have, counter arguments might be mounted. Problem with the arguments is the 1001 possible pitfalls eagerly awaiting the solar enthusiast.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • softdown
    Options

Is this at all realistic? They claim graphene could double the solar energy output.

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/tweaked-graphene-could-double-electricity-generated-solar
  • BB.
    Options

Maybe... But wait 5-10 years and see if it hits production.

We have already seen solar panels drop from $10 per Watt to $1 per Watt (or less) mostly based on mfg improvements (and some issues of lax pollution controls and low cost labor/subsidies/etc.).

Perhaps if we see a reduction in panel size by 50%, we will see 50% cost reduction... But 50% of $1 per Watt is a lot different than 50% off $10 per Watt.

Wiring, frames, field labor, electronics, etc. are now pretty much the major cost of a solar power system (add batteries for off grid). None of that stuff is going down in cost much lately.

-Bill