Does this inverter make noise?

Options
Dumbdumbhead
Dumbdumbhead Solar Expert Posts: 28
Hi, does anyone know if this inverter:
Morningstar 300 Watt Sine Wave Inverter makes any noise? I was thinking about installing this in or near the sleeping area so noise is a factor. Also, is this inverter a Modified Sine Wave inverter or a True Sine Wave inverter?

Thanks

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Does this inverter make noise?
    Hi, does anyone know if this inverter:
    Morningstar 300 Watt Sine Wave Inverter makes any noise? I was thinking about installing this in or near the sleeping area so noise is a factor. Also, is this a inverter a Modified Sine Wave inverter or a True Sine Wave inverter?

Thanks
    I have two. One is always on for all loads needing power 24/7, the other is relay controlled by dedicated loads. One is silent except if the ear is pressed tight against the unit, you can hear the slight hum of it's transformer. There is no fan, excellent design eliminates the need. The other can sometimes be heard to emit a very slight hum from the transformer, similar to that heard from a loose laminate in the core. But even that is rare, and not loud. I would be quite comfortable with one beside my bed. By the way, I highly recommend this inverter, am very impressed with the quality of design. Mine have been in use for 3 years now with totally no problems of any kind. Wish they made bigger ones as well.
    Hope this helps.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

And it is a True Sine Wave inverter too.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dumbdumbhead
    Dumbdumbhead Solar Expert Posts: 28
    Options

That answers both of my questions. Thanks
  • bobdog
    bobdog Solar Expert Posts: 192 ✭✭
    Options

I'll add that I too have one and outside the minor hum it sometimes puts off, it can't be heard standing 2 feet away. I love it and it is pure sine wave as was said. I too wish they made bigger ones.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Times three!

Tony
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It has a very slight hum, even with no load, but it goes silent when the control wire tells it "shut off".

And it's heavy, you think you are looking at an aluminun casting, but there is a big ole iron transformer in there. Pure sine wave.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    Options

The only noise I've found from mine is RF noise! Doggone it... Can't use it with my ham radio gear, generates a TON of hash on HF. (Unfortunately, same goes for most of my inverters.)

But aside from that, nope quiet as can be! :)
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

And, RandomJoe,

I do believe that you know most of the common "wisdom" or reducing switching noises.

Looks like you also have an MX-60, which also generates quite a lot of RFI. My largest problem with the MX-60 is that it is very difficult to elinimate the effects of the PV Array acting as a transmit antenna while the MX is operating. Suppression on the MX is very effective, and if one's radio antennas are spaced at a reasonable distance from the array, life is beautiful.

All the Best, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    Options

I have an FM-80, but I don't know how much better/worse they might be than the MX-60. I have heard some noise from my FM-80 in the past, but it was (in comparison) fairly minimal to the home station and that might have been back when I had a 12V battery bank and was running off it directly. Now the FM-80 is on a 48V bank and the ham station is on a completely separate system of its own. My HF antenna is on the opposite side of the house from the solar panels - all of 50 feet or so, whatever that's worth to a 132 foot long dipole, but still some distance there. I get tremendously more noise from the fluorescent lights in the kitchen directly below the center of the antenna.

On the other hand, I was trying to set up a portable station that I could take afield and the instant the inverters were switched on (I tried the Suresine and a Samlex PST-30S) there was LOUD hash that was completely unavoidable!

Of course, this was with the radio and inverter connected to the same relatively small battery and sitting within a few feet of each other. And being a portable "picnic-table" type setup difficult to move the antenna very far away! No doubt those two factors are why they were so very noticeable, but then that's exactly the application I wanted so that shot down my hopes for them. (I was looking for a "cheap" way to power the small laptop I'd take along - I already have the inverters, but looks like I'll have to buy a DC power supply - if I can find one of those that isn't noisy in the same setting!)
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

At the risk of further hijacking the thread ...

Hi Random..

The RF emissions from these inverters are almost certainly Line Conducted. Common Mode choke usually make a large improvement. Usually, the 120 VAC output leads are the dominant radiating antenna.

you could first try making a CM choke from one or two FT-240 Toroid cores -- Type 31 would prob be the best material. Using two wire leads (BiFilar) , wind a number of turns through the core(s). Size the wire to the output current capability of the inverter. One conductor connects to the inverter's neutral and the other to the inverter 120 VAC output. Keep the CM choke very close to the inverter output. More turns though the core(s) the better. Check for emissions reduction. If still not satisfied, try a CM choke on the inverter DC input wires. For smaller inverters, this is pratical, for large inverters, it is not!.

Antenna separation helps a lot, as does running inverter wiring in continuous, grounded conduit. Running power wiring at right angles to antennas also helps. Use a CM choke on the coax feed-line. Coax is more immune to feed line pick-up than open feedeers/ladder line.

And so on. You prob know all of this. YMMV 73 GL, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.