type of pole

Options
morrisrv
morrisrv Registered Users Posts: 13
Has anyone used galvanized rigid metal conduit, 6" for a top of pole mount rack? Is it equivelent to sch. 40 steel pipe? the measurments seem to be the same, not sure about the strengh. any input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bob

Comments

• morrisrv
    Options
    Re:Galv. Rigid Metal Conduit or black pipe: type of pole

Anybody have an opinion about using GRMC?
    Bob
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: type of pole

I don't have any information--is there a distributor in your area that can give you the mechanical data for that manufacturer...

Sorry, it has been too many years since my civil/structural engineering classes for me to do the calculations (basically, IIRC, the strength goes with the square of the cross section--but wind loadings also go up with the square of the wind speed).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

AFIK, conduit is much thinner wall than pipe.
    Black pipe is sealed for gas plumbing, and usually low pressure, I doubt it's as strong as galvi water pipe.

What is "GRMC" ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• morrisrv
    Options

GRMC stands for Glavanized Rigid Metal Conduit, us electricians use it for wiring, comes 1/2 to 6" the 6" specs (outside dia. and wall thickness) are the same as 6" Sc 40 steel pipe(black stuff) GRMC would not rust, would look better, but not sure if it is as strong? Maybe I'm just worring too much about nothing?
    Thanks, Bob
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

conduit is made to only hold wires and is not made to hold heavy loads or high pressures and doesn't compare to black pipe. you do need to take care in what you use as it can be dangerous or at the very least, very costly. many places that sell towers will offer quality pipes too. they are expensive and sometimes need special and costly shipping unless you find a place you can pick one up at and bring it home yourself.