Golf Cart Battery Solar Charging

Options
Toby
Toby Solar Expert Posts: 56 ✭✭✭✭
Thought I'd look at a different idea with the Golf Cart batteries; charging them by solar.

I have found solar golf cart charge systems on-line, but they are upwards of $2k. I would like to see what can be designed DIY.

The cart has 6 - eight volt batteries in series for 48 volts. Normally I plug-in the 120v Ac to Dc charger and let it recharge the batteries. There is an "on-board computer" which regulates the charging. I'm guessing it's just a charge controller.

What I think I need to replace the 120v charger with solar is:

Solar Panel/s
Charge Controller
Misc. Wire and connectors

I have read over some of the specs on panels and charge controllers at W&S. What panel/s and controller do you think would work best?

Comments

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Golf Cart Battery Solar Charging

This comes up from time to time, and we don't really recommend spending that much money just to charge a golf car. And yes, you are probably looking at close to $1500 to $2500 for a viable and useful solar charger due to the battery voltager and amount of battery.

Problem with this and other "single use" chargers is that if the batteries are charged, the solar panels are basically being wasted.

For $2000 you could get a really nice EnergyStar rated refrigerator that would save you a lot more money.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options

I would spend that money for a grid-tied system which will let you get the most out of the PV panels. It won't matter if you are charging the golf cart or watching TV.

The exception would be if you have a specific need - like using the golf cart on remote property that doesn't have a utility connection - then what you want to do would make sense. But it doesn't sound like you have that situation.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • Toby
    Options

Actually, I do have a power issue. The cart is in a covered shed that has no permanent power. I use an extension cord which goes from one building to the shed. To fix that I would need to dig a trench and install a 120v power line.

So you are saying that to charge the 6 eight volt batteries would require more than a basic charge controller and one or two panels?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Toby wrote: »
    ...So you are saying that to charge the 6 eight volt batteries would require more than a basic charge controller and one or two panels?

I'd say at least 6, 200W panels, and that MIGHT get it from 50% to full in one day

the trench and PVC condouit is much less expensive.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Toby
    Options

Ok, thanks. Thought I'd ask. Just trying to plan for the day when there may be no commercial power.

Maybe I should plan for a full alternative power system.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

One of the issues with planning for the end of the grid--It probably would also mean the end of manufactured/delivered goods and products--Including batteries/inverter repairs/etc... The ability to keep such a system operating without a supply of spare/replacement components is probably on the order of 3-10 years.

I don't think we will ever have a complete multi-month grid failure in major metropolitan areas--except for local disruptions (hurricane, earthquakes, etc.)...

And in those cases, there is probably a good chance that the areas would be uninhabitable anyway (no water, sewer, roads, communications, food, etc.).

Certainly, if you are in a rural area, a major transmission line failure (ice storms, forest/wild fires) could certainly leave you with a several month outage and even a permanent outage if the power company/powers that be decide that repairs are not economically or politically viable.

I don't know if you plan for such an event or just keep money in the bank so you can draw on it when/if ever needed.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • nsaspook
    nsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭
    Options

Just look at Japan today. Large areas might be out for months.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598