Any reason not to get some Kd210gx-Lpu panels

Seven
Seven Solar Expert Posts: 292 ✭✭
From what I have learned here, I don't see any reason not to use them. I will be running through an mppt controller to a 12v bank. Per watt, they are the best value I have seen.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Any reason not to get some Kd210gx-Lpu panels

They are Vmp=26.6 volt panels... So you will need to use them with a MPPT controller on 12 and 24 volt battery banks.

And for a 24 volt battery bank, you will need to wire them in series--which may make Voc too high for some of the MPPT controllers with lower maximum Vpanel Voc-cold input voltages.

Otherwise, they seem to be fine panels from a known good manufacturer Kyocera.

This are physically large panels and will not be very portable (probably need two people to move around/install). Also, large panels can be very expensive to ship if you are shipping less than a pallet at a time (my guess, I am not in the solar business). So, check the price at your door, including shipping, packaging, and taxes (135 watt panels or smaller can be easier to ship).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Seven

Good point on the shipping. The difference in shipping for one panel is $90 each, but if I order three it is only $10 total difference. It would cost $339 more to get the three bigger panels, but I would have 630w of panel instead of 405. To get to 675w of the smaller panel, I would need 5 and that would cost over $2K.
    All of the mppt charge controllers I am looking at will take 150v of panel, so there shouldn't be an issue there.

I am getting close to the time that I will be ordering components. I would have made some huge mistakes if it hadn't been for the people here.
  • BB.

Have you gotten approval from your spouse yet? ;)

If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It is much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.
    - Admiral Grace Hopper

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Seven

Lol, she is tolerant. I wouldn't say excited or agreeable, but she understands that this is what I am into right now. The fact that we are staying in town instead of moving to the country makes her a little less, shall I say disagreeable. She gets a house in town that I told her I would remodel the kitchen to her requirements, and I get to play with solar. Actually I plan on building a patio cover that will be at a fifteen degree slope so I can mount the panels on it. She gets a patio cover and I get a pv panel mount location.

After this many years together I have figured out, to a small degree, some of what a mutually beneficial scenario involves. Note I didn't say equal. See, I do understand something.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like 3 are all your planing to get, the charge controller will be a considerably more expensive, and likely not cost effective for a 12 volt system.

Might check on what the VOC of the combined panels are and if they fall under the controler you want to use.

I've worked a good bit with 170-180watt panels and I agree, I'd want 2 to work with anything bigger.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

15 degrees will not work very well for you in the colder months. if you could use a steeper angle it will help you and it would be a good goal if you can at least reach your latitude angle of about 33 degrees.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

Or just mount the panels on an angle rack to the lattitude angle at your location. I did this with my solar domestic hot water panel with amazing results...15-45 degrees.

Ralph
  • Seven
    Photowhit wrote: »
    Sounds like 3 are all your planing to get, the charge controller will be a considerably more expensive, and likely not cost effective for a 12 volt system.

Might check on what the VOC of the combined panels are and if they fall under the controler you want to use.

I've worked a good bit with 170-180watt panels and I agree, I'd want 2 to work with anything bigger.
    Three is the initial purchase to get the system started. I will be putting more on every few months. The reason for going with the larger controller is to account for this. The first batt bank will be inexpensive batteries,so that I can grow the main system bank at a later time with better batteries, without costing too much. The original batteries will be used in a different system at that time. Possibly mobile.

The Voc of the panels is 32.2

I have friends, family, and neighbors that are willing to help with anything.
  • Seven

Niel and Ralph....
    15 degrees is what I had in my head from prior research.I will look at that again. An adjustable rack will be easy to do.

Thanks for the replies
  • Seven

I will be ordering the panels on wednesday. Thanks for the input.
  • jagec
    jagec Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    15 degrees will not work very well for you in the colder months. if you could use a steeper angle it will help you and it would be a good goal if you can at least reach your latitude angle of about 33 degrees.

I know that the latitude angle is a good "rule of thumb", but my experience playing around with PV-Watts has been that the optimal year-round production angle is ALWAYS lower than the latitude angle due to higher insolation in the summer months. Is there a reason why people still recommend the latitude angle? I can see "year-round consistency" being a factor for off-grid installations, but if that were the case, the optimal angle would be HIGHER than the latitude angle.

What am I missing?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

A good explanation of the ins and outs of panel angles:
    http://www.macslab.com/optsolar.html
  • BB.

In the summer, my afternoon power rate is almost 2-3x my winter peak rate/off peak rates.

So for 1 year net metering, optimizing for summer production is not a bad thing.

-Bill
  • Seven

I just made the call. I will have three of the panels by this time next week. Its been a while since I spent that kind of cash, it kinda made me sweat. lol

I made sure that I told the lady that answered the phone that I was getting the panels from them because of this forum.