Backfeed fault

Options
Radioman
Radioman Registered Users Posts: 7
I have a Xantrex RS3000 inverter/charger. I am getting a AC backfeed fault : Service immediately message. What could be causing this. I believe I have it connected properly. It only happens once in a while. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Backfeed fault

Do you have any power sources/AC generators that can output power to the AC output of the Inverter?

What mode is the inverter in when this happens (shore power/charging battery bank; no shore power, running AC power from battery bank; etc.)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Radioman
    Radioman Registered Users Posts: 7
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Do you have any power sources/AC generators that can output power to the AC output of the Inverter?

What mode is the inverter in when this happens (shore power/charging battery bank; no shore power, running AC power from battery bank; etc.)?

-Bill

I have it hooked to a generator. It usually does this when it switches from gen to invert.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

I assume the generator is hooked to the AC input of the inverter/charger.

Do you turn of the power then shutdown the genset--or do you turn off the genset (slows down/surges) and let the inverter time the switch over?

(I am wondering if you have an AC motor with some momentum actually driving power back to the genset if the generator engine is turned off while still supplying power--letting the AC motor backfeed the genset a little bit)

Just guessing here.

There also have been problems with failing transfer switches/welded relay contacts that have faulted inverters before. In the Xantrex XW product line there is even an error message for that problem.

Have you talked with Xantrex about the problem yet?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset