max Chg rate feature on xw6048

Options
grunt
grunt Solar Expert Posts: 37 ✭✭
During my first power outage that I had last week for 2 days, I was required to charge the batteries (48 volt worth of sun extenders 220ah AGM) since the voltage dropped down to 50% of discharge 48.8. During this time I noticed that the generator was not too happy with me, as I could tell with the flickering of the critical circuits in the house. The charge rate on the batteries spiked up to 100-101 amps in till voltage built up in the batteries and the amp draw slowed down, then things went back to normal.
Quick and ugly math told me I was maxing out my generator (12.5k kohler) and this is something I do not want to do again if I wanted any type of longevity with my generator. So my question is-is the Max chg rate feature in the xw6048 used to control the amperage at which the bank is charged at and if so assuming that max DC output current for the xw6048 is 100Adc then 80% would be 80 amps and 40% would be 40 amps and so on? If this is not the case how else could I set up my battery charging so I don't hit my generator with such a big load all at once durring a power outage?
I did not get a chance to use this feature before the power came back on. So that is why I am posting it here.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: max Chg rate feature on xw6048

I believe there is a maximum AC2 current setting (generator input)--so that loads+charging 240 VAC does not exceed the programmed rating (this may also reference the maximum AC2 circuit breaker size).

If your loads exceed the AC2 programmed current--I believe the XW will actually begin to "assist" the generator and supply additional power (from the battery bank) to your loads.

I don't have time to read the manual at the moment--but that is what I recall from earlier discussions.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • grunt
    Options

its right here
    http://www.wholesalesolar.com/pdf.folder/inverter%20pdf%20folder/XantrexXWmanual.pdf

so my batteries would act like a kind of buffer in till power was built up in them by assisting the generator. Taking care of the high amp load in the begining of the charging cycle. and this is set by the AC2 breaker value.. Yes?
  • grunt
    Options

If you read the manual it looks like it controls the AC2 current so it does not exceed the AC2 breaker by derating the charging current on the batteries as so not to exceed the AC2 breaker value. Looks like what I was looking for thanks BB. Now I got to go pull my manual for the gen and see what it states I should set this to.
  • thenderson4
    thenderson4 Registered Users Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Options

The default setting is 100% charge output. You need to decrease that down to about 50%. That is all you need to do. At 50% you will be putting 49.9 amps into the battery. See what the battery manufacture recommends for a charge rate. Usually it is 10% which with 220 ahr battery you need to really set the xw charge output to 22%. I set mine so that if the panels start getting sunshine while the xw is putting out charge that my 10% is not exceeded. Example-with 800hr battery bank and 40 amps possible from bright sunshine, I set my xw charge output to 40-50%. So if the sun starts shining while the xw is charging I do not charge my battery bank to fast.

This not only protects the batteries from damage but keeps yor generator from being overloaded. Got it?

Tom
  • grunt
    Options

thenderson4, Thanks. I got it.
    My sun extenders AGM's can take a large amp load durring charging but this becomes an issue if I am running a gen to charge them durring a power outage.
    One more thing AC2 breaker is set at the default wich is 60A.
    Thanks for the help
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Never thought it was a good idea to set the default charge rate to maximum on inverter/chargers. Better to make the customer set the charge rate higher then fry batteries and stress generators.

While on battery power with AC input (generator in this case) there is couple of settings you want to modify.

First is the charge rate as previously mentioned.

Second is maximum AC2 input current. This sets the maximum draw on AC2 which should be based on generator capability. For your case with 12.5 kW gen should be set to 50 amps.

If you have a large motor or compressor that has a start current greater then 50 amps the inverter will suppliment the generator up to the max ACout of 60 amps. With a 12.5 kW generator you don't need much supplimenting from inverter but is a great feature with a smaller generator.

With a motor large start current, if the generator bogs down and changes frequency or voltage, the XW may release connection. If this happens you might have to back down on max AC2 input amps a bit to allow the inverter to suppliment the surge more.