Solar Charging Set-up Questions

Options
I am running a fishing boat with live well, electric anchor winch, CD player and electric trolling motor. I am using three deep cycle batteries, one dedicated to starting the 70hp motor and a fish finder and the other two running the items listed above.

I do not have ready access to electric plug-ins, although I do have a 12v battery charger mounted on board for when the opportunity presents itself. The two batteries used to run the units listed above are linked in parallel configuration (12V).

I do have two Uni-SolarUSF-11 Flexible Solar Panels that I want to use to charge the linked batteries. I am thinking that I should be able to link the two panels, connect them to a controller and connect to one battery (because the batteries are in parallel configuration, both batteries should charge, I think).

I am new to this and despite reading as much as I can, I have a couple of questions and requests:

1. where do you purchase the hardware to link solar panels-do they have to be from Uni-Solar or are they standard accessories?

2. Would I be better to keep the batteries separate and hook up the panels to each one separately?

3. Would a SunGuard 4.5 amp solar charge controller be appropriate as a controller in either situation (batteries in parallel or separated?). If not, can you suggest a unit that would be appropriate and not break the bank?

4. Would one 11W solar panel do the job of charging these batteries between fishing trips?...I may fish two or three days in a row or every third day on just on the weekend. That's why I think I would require more charging power.

5. If this was your situation, what would you do given this information?

I appreciate your assistance - I am green in working with this and would certainly be grateful for some responses.

Thanks, BillofSoo

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Solar Charging Set-up Questions

11 watts of panel will only output .9A of current, will is barely enough to trickle charge, and keep a battery topped off. It's so small, I would not bother with a charge controller.
    It would take months, to recharge a battery, if at all.
    But it won't hurt.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Thanks Mike9....
    What would you suggest for a proper charging configuration for the situation I noted in my first post to this thread?

The two batteris involved provide up to 750 mca and 205 minutes of reserve capacity - Amp Hour Capacity: 103

Does anyone else have any suggestions on what I would use to configure a system to fully charge these batteries? They would be used for 3-4 hours at a time 2-3 times per week running a 55# thrust minn kota trolling motor.

If you need more info, I can get it for you.

Thanks
    Bill
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

If its a typical walmart type deep cycle, its 100ah@12 volts

For simple math, call that 1kw/hr of useful storage per battery

You have two and I also assume you running them into very deep discharge

So your using 2000 watts/hour of energy and need to replace that energy, your asking for suggestions to solve this with solar panels ...

You'll need about 500 watts of solar panels to keep things going and a charge controller to regulate the charging.

As Mike mentioned , your 11 watts barely is enough to over-come self-discharge.