I need detailed info on HOW to install a solar system!

I sure hope SOMEONE here can get me some diagrams on EXACTLY HOW to install a solar system. Big Frog Mountain solar in Chattanooga is evasive, and they're always trying to sell me stuff I don't need. Someone else told me about the 45 watt Harbor Freight panels, but they look like crap.

I am building a small cabin on my mother's place here in Middle Tennessee. All I need is a basic system to run my Presario Compaq computer, DSL modem, HP scanner, Epson C88 printer, and about six flourescent lights, and when I'm not using the computer, a small TV and DVD player or PS-2. Cooking/Heating will be LP and Wood.. I'm thinking of building a batch collector for the hot water.

I'm totally lost on the right panels to get, inverter, charge controller, etc.. Will most likely go get Deep Cycle batteries at Walmart.

Also hope to find some sort of set up I can use to run my lights and water pump on my camper trailer. It's a 1978 Coleman. I do not have access to regular service where the camper is, and the LP part of the fridge is messed up and I can't use it.

This is all new to me, but I'm fed up with making the landlords and utility companies RICH at my expense!!

Thanks!

Will

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: I need detailed info on HOW to install a solar system!

the trouble is that nobody can exactly tell you. it really depends upon your wishes and your load requirements. there are so many variables that it may be best if you read and learn here on the forum.
    btw, do you think this will be cheap to eliminate your electric bill because it isn't going to be. start with ways you can reduce your consumption and that you can get somewhat of a grasp on with reading material in the energy use and conservation section. while you are doing that you can start familiarizing yourself with some of the products being talked about. many of the solar items can be found on our hosts store website. this link will also show some other reading material.

http://www.solar-electric.com/
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Sorry I did not mean to highjack the tread but I am in a similar situation
    I live in the UK but I am thinking of going back home ....ie Nigeria the main problem I am going to have is that we have got an a power supply issue
    So I am looking for a guidiance or specs that I can use to run say a five bedroom house
    At the moment I will be looking at solar panels inverter charge controller batteries . the normal local grid and a petrol/diesel generator for backup
    what I am hoping for is to have the normal grid, solar panels and generator coming to the inverter as a source of power and the inverter now supplies the mains in the house and the deep cell batteries serve as backups for storing charge for when the:grr:grr:grr infamous NEPA strike {ie Nigerian electric power Authority power blackout} :crywhich can last from a couple of hours to weeks
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    45 watt Harbor Freight panels, but they look like crap. AVOID.

All I need is a basic system to run my
    Presario Compaq computer,
    DSL modem,
    HP scanner,
    Epson C88 printer,
    six flourescent lights,
    small TV and
    DVD player or PS-2.
    Deep Cycle batteries at Walmart.

Is your PC a laptop (80W/hr) or desktop (250W/hr) Monitor: CRT ?? LCD ??
    Big difference in power needed.
    Scanner and printer will only be on for a few minutes at a time, so I'll ignore them.
    DSL modem on 24/7 ? say it's 20W/hr
    small TV = 150W
    DVD/PS2 = 50 W

We need to know how long (in the winter months) these things will be on. winter has shorter days for recharging batteries, and need to know how much you consume.

Wallmart batteries are OK for a "learner set" but eventually, when they die in 3 or 4 years, you will want better batteries. Learn with a cheap set.

Will you have grid power for emergency recharging of low batteries, or will you have a generator? If batteries sit discharged deeper than 50% for very long, they start to die.

Camper
    Best to get a panel or 2 to run the camper independently of anything. about 100W of PV should be good.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

PS

Both you fellas (I assume men, don't see many women here in PV land, and don't see many men in needlepoint land)
    please read this thread, where wattage and hours are calculated, and give yourselfs some ideas of what you will be powering exactly.

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=1064
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    I sure hope SOMEONE here can get me some diagrams on EXACTLY HOW to install a solar system. Big Frog Mountain solar in Chattanooga is evasive, and they're always trying to sell me stuff I don't need. Someone else told me about the 45 watt Harbor Freight panels, but they look like crap.

I am building a small cabin on my mother's place here in Middle Tennessee. All I need is a basic system to run my Presario Compaq computer, DSL modem, HP scanner, Epson C88 printer, and about six flourescent lights, and when I'm not using the computer, a small TV and DVD player or PS-2. Cooking/Heating will be LP and Wood.. I'm thinking of building a batch collector for the hot water.

I'm totally lost on the right panels to get, inverter, charge controller, etc.. Will most likely go get Deep Cycle batteries at Walmart.

Also hope to find some sort of set up I can use to run my lights and water pump on my camper trailer. It's a 1978 Coleman. I do not have access to regular service where the camper is, and the LP part of the fridge is messed up and I can't use it.

This is all new to me, but I'm fed up with making the landlords and utility companies RICH at my expense!!

Thanks!

Will

Your asking an unaswerable question. Powering a pc or modem , or "a few clfs means nothing unless you know how much draw and for how long. You also need to know how much average sun, what back up you might have for recharge.

Hearing what you wish to do is NOT just a simple system. A couple of Harbour Freight Panels and a Wall-wart battery will not give you much. 5 15wt cfls for 6 hours a day will be 360whr alone. You can easily "do the math" and see that you would need ~45 watts of panel and 6 hours of sun just to stay even with this load. Add in the rest, include a reserve and then you can begin to see what it is you need.

As always,,avoid the "ready, fire, aim" syndrome and you will be happier in the long run.

Icarus
  • SolarJohn
    SolarJohn Solar Expert Posts: 202 ✭✭

FYI

I have a small system that almost keeps up with my chest freezer load. Here are the details:

4 - 85 Watt Kyocera Panels
    420ah of Marine Deep Cycle Batteries
    20a Charge Controller
    1100 Watt True Sine Wave Inverter

The chest freezer load is about 800 Watt Hours per day. The batteries maintain their charge unless I have 2 or 3 days of coudy weather. This might give you an idea how a similar system would perform if you substitute your computer, modem, cfl's, etc. for the chest freezer. (Add up your total daily load). Get an efficinent charge controller and inverter (ones that consume little power for their operation). You should get as much, or more, sunlight than I do at your location, so you might have better results. In case you're interested, I've written more about my system on my blog. Scroll through the archives.

http://solarjohn.blogspot.com

Tip: Avoid future grief by starting off with a TRUE sinewave inverter from the start, not a modified sinewave inverter.

John