Mounting RAW solar cells

Can you mount a solar cell that has nothing connected to it, can you solder up a few up and mount them on a sheet of aluminum instead of fiber glass?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Mounting RAW solar cells

Aluminium conducts electricity fairly well.
    Do you think it's a good idea to mount a bunch of current sources on top of a conductive material? You'd have to put some sort of insulating layer in between. Also, aluminium will react more with thermal changes and from any chemical presence (leftover flux).
    This is why commercial solar panels are mounted in glass; non-conductive, chemical resistant, and thermally stable.
  • silent wolf
    silent wolf Solar Expert Posts: 92 ✭✭✭✭

Well, I know that it was conductive, but wanted to see if it would work, I would use a light layer of silicon so its no cunductive.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

It's going to expand and contract with temp changes. Possibly enough so that any insulative layer will be 'rubbed' against the cells. Connection points in particular could end up poking through.
    Personally I think you'd be better off using fibreglass or lexan/plexiglass. None of it is cheap, though. :cry: And fibreglass can be messy to work with of course.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

It is pretty difficult to make an even layer insulation layer of Silicon adhesive under the cells.

But, I would guess, the bigger problem will be differential thermal expansion between the aluminum vs the Silicon wafers (much closer to glass). I would guess that the solar cells will just shatter... You might try just a couple first--Place them in hot sun, then on a cool/wet towel (cycling between hot a could a few times) and see what happens (are you going to have cover glass/plastic?).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like someone is trying to make a PV cell heat sink for a mirror concentrator.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

next he'll be asking about a tracker as it would be required for a mirror or lens concentrator. some gains will be realized with higher costs and shorter cell lifespans. moral of the story is it is better to buy another pv.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

If this is for a concentrator type system--You may need to look at very thin ceramic plates (or equivalent) designed for efficient heat transfer. Silicon Adhesives are very good thermal insulators. Also, you need good mechanical bond between the surfaces... Thermal grease and bolts/clips are used for electronics--but are not practical for solar cells.

For the most part, the ability for good heat transfer also goes with good electrical properties. Quite the problem for efficient heat transfer from conductive silicon cells.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset