seeking warnings and/or ideas

Options
Greetings!
I'm about ready to spend some money on installing solar PV (grid-tied), but have a few questions lingering (after hours/days of surfing subject.)

Can I sell SDG&E more energy than I buy? I mean, am I allowed to continually produce/sell more than I consume?

Am leaning toward purchasing a KIT (~2kW) rather than assembling individual parts. Is $3.50/W too much to pay for "name brand" components? Can a "robust" system be constructed for much less? Is it as simple as finding a good price on panels and suitable inverter (what about panel support/framing)?

I've done no research on methods and practicality of tracking the sun - any links are appreciated.

Thanks/Cheers.

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: seeking warnings and/or ideas
    socal wrote: »
    Greetings!
    I'm about ready to spend some money on installing solar PV (grid-tied), but have a few questions lingering (after hours/days of surfing subject.)

Can I sell SDG&E more energy than I buy? I mean, am I allowed to continually produce/sell more than I consume?

Am leaning toward purchasing a KIT (~2kW) rather than assembling individual parts. Is $3.50/W too much to pay for "name brand" components? Can a "robust" system be constructed for much less? Is it as simple as finding a good price on panels and suitable inverter (what about panel support/framing)?

I've done no research on methods and practicality of tracking the sun - any links are appreciated.

Thanks/Cheers.

Check with your utility on the buy back, each one seems to have their own tariff's for the repurchase. You need to understand how your utility sells and buys power from a grid tie system.

Usually utilities require a electrician and building code sign off to grid tie as a power producer. Here in AZ the going rate installed turnkey is about $6 a watt before any utility support or tax breaks.

2Kw system is most likely not going to have any excess to sell back overall. While you might spin the meter backwards when your loads are very low the first time you fire up some large appliance that will be used. Here I have about 300-350 watts of "phantom" loads 7 X 24.

Really the right thing is to spend your dollars first on conservation. CFLs, Energy Star appliances, add insulation to reduce heating and cooling costs and the like are all more effective in reducing your bill than adding solar. Once you have a good handle on your loads and have conserved everywhere you can manage then a solar system add can continue to reduce your bill.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Search the archives here for Rodrick's DIY home install video. He did a great job of covering much, if not all, of the things you need to attend to.

UL approved components, proper wire insulation (THHNNXXXZZ), wire gauge, and conduit fill ratio, electrical panel spare capacity, and service breaker, are all important. The inspector will even check for any splices in your PV panel ground wire, and UL approved ground lugs at each panel.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• zeuspaul
    zeuspaul Solar Expert Posts: 59 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

My neighbor has a grid tie 8400 watt solar system with San Diego Gas and Electric. At the end of the year if he has produced more than he has used the utility gets the juice. The best he can do is break even on his electric bill plus what looks to be a five dollar sevice charge per month.

However starting 2011 he told me the law has changed and you will be able to sell excess to the utility.

He had it installed professionally at a cost of about $30000 after rebates. To get the Calif rebate I believe the system has to be installed by a licensed contractor.

His bill went from about $600 per month to a little over $100 per month for a six year payback.

Zeuspaul
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

I guess they are still working out the details--I heard the buyout is around $0.06 per kWH...

But, in California, most solar systems where forced to time of use / seasonal billing (1 year net metered). I have no clue how they would do these calculations as our "account" is in Dollars (converted from the various $$/kWH charges/credits every month).

I run around a $300 credit per year---but probably would get $60 if it was a pure $0.06 per kWH buyback.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Thanks All :-)
    In addition to following-up on suggestions, will meet with a contractor Saturday and maybe nail-down some of the details re:SDG&E.

Thanks/Cheers.