pump head rebuild

Options
mitzilani
mitzilani Registered Users Posts: 8
Hi Folks! Does anybody know who rebuilds pumpheads for the Dankoff slowpump, now that Conergy sold out? I can't get anyone at Innovative Solar so far, they're the folks that bought them.
We've got at least three pump heads need rebuilding. I'm also finding it difficult to find a replacement pump head.
Maybe someone could suggest another pump that can do the same things? High lift/low volume surface pump?
Sure would appreciate some advice

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: pump head rebuild

Is all this wear-out normal, or do you have extra silty water that is chewing them up? I wonder if in the intervening years, if there is a better pump developed for your application?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Call the store here at wind&sun. They carry the pumps!
    How much lift do you need and how many gpm?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Dave Angelini
    Options
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Is all this wear-out normal, or do you have extra silty water that is chewing them up? I wonder if in the intervening years, if there is a better pump developed for your application?

I have been wondering on this one also Mike. It just never happens. The shurflo and Jabsco's all last about 5 years and need a rebuild. Even with rainwater and you know how much silt is in that from a tank that has been sitting.

The Dankoff's at least tell you that they will need a rebuild. All of the other pumps besides these three DC pumps I have used cause AC spikes that I don't want getting into my clients power systems. I do not mind these spikes in the middle of the day from a well but not at other times when computers, HE washing machines and AV gear is on.

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

We have used a Dankoff 12V Flowlight Booster Pump for 8 years to supply water to our dwelling from a 1800 gallon cistern. I have replaced two or three pump heads mostly due to mineral depoists and few freeze ups. The catridge filters are changed every two months. One spare pump head was always kept on standby for quick replacement and the one rolled out would get a CLR treatment and flush before storage. Usually try to schedule a R&R twice a year.
    A few weeks ago during one of these routine changeouts the replacement head was causing high amps and circuit breaker tripping immediately at use. The other head was quickly treated and returned to service. Time for a new spare.
    An inquire to NAWS provided a quote of about $250 for a new pump head, no rebuilt/exhange heads are availale.
    Yesterday I ordered two new heads for $113 each plus $20 shipping from Wateranywhere.com These are ProCon model 114E24011XX.
    This off grid pumping adventure has been interesting but in looking back the money spent on pump head replacement could have purchased a Solar Force Piston pump with the possibility of less repair and head replacement.
    The cistern is feed by a rebuilt Shurflo 9300 in a well pushing 38 feet of head. The 9300 has been in service for 8.5 years powered PV direct.
  • mike95490
    Options
    I have been wondering on this one also Mike. It just never happens. The shurflo and Jabsco's all last about 5 years and need a rebuild. Even with rainwater and you know how much silt is in that from a tank that has been sitting.

The Dankoff's at least tell you that they will need a rebuild. All of the other pumps besides these three DC pumps I have used cause AC spikes that I don't want getting into my clients power systems. I do not mind these spikes in the middle of the day from a well but not at other times when computers, HE washing machines and AV gear is on.

Well, I' guess I'll be able give feedback in a year, about a standard grundfos 10S05-9 , it runs about 90 minutes a day to pump from a silty pond. Stainless innards and 240VAC 3 wire . Spikes ? Yikes !!
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• Dave Angelini
    Options
    Pablo wrote: »
    We have used a Dankoff 12V Flowlight Booster Pump for 8 years to supply water to our dwelling from a 1800 gallon cistern. I have replaced two or three pump heads mostly due to mineral depoists and few freeze ups. The catridge filters are changed every two months. One spare pump head was always kept on standby for quick replacement and the one rolled out would get a CLR treatment and flush before storage. Usually try to schedule a R&R twice a year.
    A few weeks ago during one of these routine changeouts the replacement head was causing high amps and circuit breaker tripping immediately at use. The other head was quickly treated and returned to service. Time for a new spare.
    An inquire to NAWS provided a quote of about $250 for a new pump head, no rebuilt/exhange heads are availale.
    Yesterday I ordered two new heads for $113 each plus $20 shipping from Wateranywhere.com These are ProCon model 114E24011XX.
    This off grid pumping adventure has been interesting but in looking back the money spent on pump head replacement could have purchased a Solar Force Piston pump with the possibility of less repair and head replacement.
    The cistern is feed by a rebuilt Shurflo 9300 in a well pushing 38 feet of head. The 9300 has been in service for 8.5 years powered PV direct.

Pablo,
    I have heard about how great that solar force piston pump is. It still has 2-6 year maintenance but I assume it is an o-ring type easy repair. Thanks for the link!
    What part of N.M.?

• mitzilani
    Options

We need about 250' of lift. The gpm isn't important we are just pumping to fill a tank. The water is silty however we do use a 10 micron filter etc. One of the pumps the dog knocked into the river! We're lucky the motor still worked. It seems after the pump head it came with (the one the dog knocked into the river) the subsequent ones just didn't hold up. Down to the last one which self-destructed during a test run with filtered drinking water!
    If anyone knows of a better alternative, clue me in.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please excuse any ignorance on my part, but are you filtering the source water on the suction side of the pump? That's what my installation instructions said to do.

I ran into problems with my Dankoff when I bought crappy replacement filters...went through 3 in a week before buying good paper/accordian type. Each replacement (before) required cutting off an inch of intake hose at the pump head to clean the emergency debris screen.

In use from a cistern to pressurize house water, no lift at all. You know when to change the filter (on the suction/inlet side) because you'll hear cavitation in the pump head.

Ralph
  • mitzilani
    Options

Yes that's where we have the 10 micron filter, on the source side. Otherwise the pump wouldn't last a second with river water. We've been using this fairly successfully for more than four years, despite the pump head problem, I can't find another solution, submersible is not an option so...
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    mitzilani wrote: »
    Yes that's where we have the 10 micron filter, on the source side. Otherwise the pump wouldn't last a second with river water. We've been using this fairly successfully for more than four years, despite the pump head problem, I can't find another solution, submersible is not an option so...

Did you call the store here at Wind & Sun? What did they say???

• mike95490
    Options
    mitzilani wrote: »
    ......submersible is not an option so...

Why not, you can bury a 30 gallon plastic bucket in the creek, and stick a small pump with a flow inducer sleeve on it, and you are all set. Unless the creek bed is bedrock.

Also consider a RAM pump, non-electric, hydro-pneumatic self powered.

• mitzilani
    Options

I see what you're saying about submersible and I apprieciate your help, but trust me, burying buckets in the river is not an option.
    Wind and Sun doesn't carry replacement parts, couldn't suggest anyone who does and knows nothing about rebuilds, maybe I spoke to the wrong person?
  • Dave Angelini
    Options

Windsun
    Administrator

Re: Parts for Flowlight booster pump

We just got word late Friday from Conergy of the company taking over the Dankoff pumps. Will probably be a week or two before we actually have any pricing or availability.

This was posted earlier this year. check again, maybe you got the summer help....
    http://www.innovativesolar.com/index.php?cPath=27_62_170_105
    I was down at our little river yesterday and with the snow melt, I agree with you!
    Good Luck --Dave

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

As a follow up to Ralph and his filter replacement troubles we have used Culligan P5 filters which come in two pak from one the local hardware stores. Usually stock up with a year's worth at a time as we change filters every two months. With our water the filter is usually getting an orange color from iron and black sediment from the (manganese / magnesium?) dropping out at the 60 day period. Always clean out the canister and use O-ring grease that is NSF rated. Currently with our family of 6 I estimate water usage at 600 to 1000 gallons of water weekly, no metering for accurate measurement of usage. According to the Trimeteric about 10ah a day are drawn off the two golf cart batteries for the Flowlight pump feeding into a 30 gallon pressure tank. A used MSX 60 panel from the gas patch feeds the SB3024 CC.
    Dave, location is San Juan County.

Best Regards
  • mitzilani
    Options

I just thought I'd give a follow up. I found a pump head at EnviroCitizen but it arrived broken the return address was Inovative Solar Solutions the folks who bought the Dankoff pumps. Now I hadn't heard anything good about their customer service but I'm happy to say that my experience with them was great. They were prompt in getting back to me, sent me a replacement pumphead BEFORE I returned the bad one and it was all around very pleasant to do business with them.
    Just goes to show, don't believe everything you hear.
    AND we found a old hidden (developed but derelict) spring that has plenty of water for our needs, so once we run the line and wire etc we're in clover! No more river, and the pump will be much happier pumping over a gentle grade for 500 ft rather than straight uphill 250 feet yippee!
    Thanks for your help
  • mike95490
    Options
    Dear mitzilani,

We are really excited about your positive experience with our customer service department. Here at .....

One paragraph, and you manage to squeeze in 3 links to yourself.

Shameful, but glad you have good customer service.

• Dave Angelini
    Options

BTW, everything I have heard and experienced with Inovative solutions has been great! Windy Dankoff has been running adds in the last 3 Home Power's saying he approves of Inovative. Conenergy bit off more than they could chew and timed it well with the recession!