De-Sulfators Again

Mangas
Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭
Do the moderators have any conclusive evidence these products really prolong fluid battery life and/or maintain their efficiency?
Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: De-Sulfators Again

I'm NOT a mod, but if you have a lot of expensive, sick batteries, I don't see how they can hurt, 'cept for your wallet.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i have no evidence they do anything other than waste electricity. the best way to avoid sulphation is to keep your batteries charged. in the real world this is to not let them go below 50% and charge to full as fast as you are able without shoving too many amps into the battery that it may not be able to handle. simply put, the longer the time a battery does not have a full charge in it the higher the degree of sulphation that could take place.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    i have no evidence they do anything other than waste electricity. the best way to avoid sulphation is to keep your batteries charged. in the real world this is to not let them go below 50% and charge to full..

And that is the catch. Nearly all sulphated batteries that we have seen are where the batteries either never (or very seldom) got a full charge, or sat around in storage for weeks and months uncharged.

They will do nothing for worn or damaged plates.