Suggestions to Protect Portable Panel

Trvlngnrs
Trvlngnrs Registered Users Posts: 5
Thanks to everyone who is helping in my other post. It brought up a point I hadn't thought too much about: protecting the solar panel when not in use.

I'm planning on a remote 130ish watt panel to attach to 40-50' wire for my trailer, as I park in the shade.

Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, I thought I'd ask you guys who have a portable panel how you protect it when it is not in use?

I'd like to be able to unplug it and store it separately from my trailer, as it is in a storage yard and may be broken into. I was thinking of building a wooden "briefcase" type box that the panel would be mounted to, then opens to use.

When disconnected, does the panel have to be completely dark to prevent it from producing electricity and shocking someone?

Thanks,
Trvlngnrs

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Suggestions to Protect Portable Panel

there aren't any easy answers to this dilemma as the more portable it is for you the easier it is for the thief to steal it. even putting it into the trailer is no guarantee of its safe keeping once a thief knows you have it and you aren't around. we have had threads on this subject and some feel the thief should be able to take it or risk for example further damages say by breaking into the trailer. security cameras and burglar alarms may be helpful, but their effectiveness may vary too and in some cases will not prevent the theft or guarantee a recovery later.
    as to the voltage output it will be energized anytime it is exposed to light and the spark may not be harmful enough to electrocute somebody, but it can easily cause a fire.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Assuming it has an aluminum frame, get a fridge box, cut out a piece to fit over the face of the panel, and another for the back. And/or make a 4 sided box out of it, and you will be fine. A single panel won't produce enough current typically to cause any problems of fire or shock. Remember, a panel will only put out ~80 of rated in absolute full sun. If the panel is stuck in the back of a storage container you will have no problem.

On the other hand, if you are worried about security in the storage facility, put the cardboard on it, and take it home, leave it in the back of the garage, or the basement, or better yet, set it up at home to float charge the lawn mower or car battery over the off season.

Tony

I have a 90 watt panel that is portable, and when I leave home for an extended time, I just unplug it (Anderson connectors) and leave it inside.

T
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

I like the OP idea of building a carry box for it. If you do that, you could hinge it so that the lid flips over and becomes the support that angles the PV to the sun.

Just add a bit of chain (or a metal bar with holes) to have an adjustable spacer to vary the angle (and to keep the whole rig from just falling down flat).

Drill a hole and you can chain it to a nearby tree or picnic table or whatever so it doesn't get nicked while you are looking the other way.

Put some 1/2" or so foam on the "glass side" of the cover so that it won't bump the glass and you can toss it into the garage for safekeeping when not in use, and it will also protect the glass when you are packing and unpacking the campsite and driving around.

Just have to make sure that the back isn't covered while in use so the PV doesn't get too hot.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a sheet of the brown construction foam with foil on it, foil to the outside, foam to the panel. Won't prevent theft, but protects me from dropping tools on it.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,