Long term strategy

Options
System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
We are going to install a grid tied solar system within the next couple of years and are starting to work towards this goal. We installed heat pump heating & A/C, a heat pump hot water tank and cashed in on cash for clunkers, for Washington State that was clothes washers and refridgerators. I was on this site for ectrticity vs propane clothes dryer and it looks like propane has won.

As our goal is to ultimately cause no carbon footprint, we are looking at the all electric Nissan Leaf. The trickle charge on 240v ac will take 8 hours and average about $3.00 a day.

I wanted to find out what this forum thinks about that and also if it makes sense to start small and add into a system or just go for it.

Thanks

Hallette

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Long term strategy

Sounds like you are well on your way...

In general, your best set of steps:
    1. Conservation
    2. More Conservation
    3. Even more Conservation
    4. Grid Tied Solar
    5. Hybrid Grid Tied / Emergency backup solar
    In almost all cases, it is less expensive for you to conserve (insulation, energy star appliances, double pane windows, CFL lighting, low power laptop computers, heater/AC upgrades, turn off sat/digital receivers/DVR's when not in use, etc.).

My personal opinion is that I would look at a 3.5 kW Grid Tied system (3kW rated) as the point at where the system part prices, labor, etc. is pretty reasonable on a $$$/Watt installed pricing.

If you use "smaller steps" (1-2 kW)--I think the equipment pricing, labor, permits, etc. become pretty pricy.

If your final plan is to install a 10kW (or whatever) system--usually best to save up for it and install all at once (at least from a price/watt point of view).

Figure out how much electricity you want to offset with your solar system... $3 per day is around 20-30 kWHrs per day (depending on your cost of power)... That is a lot of power. My whole home only runs on ~8kWhrs per day with a 3kW GT system--And right now, I am generating more power than I use.

Look at how the extra power (or solar offset) will affect your billing. In Northern California we have tiered pricing (the more power you use, the higher $$$/kWh you pay).

And you may also look at Time Of Use metering from your utility... Use cheaper night-time rates.

Also, location is important for solar PV systems... If you have any shading (particularly in the 9an-3pm time frame) can dramatically reduce your output. Local weather (marine layer, coastal fog, etc.) can reduce output a bunch too.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Thanks Bill

Any books you can recomend? I've got the 30th Edition of Solar Living Sourcebook so far.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

From the Solar beginners' question thread:
    BB. wrote: »
    Regarding Solar Books:

What's a Good Beginners Book?

-Bill

PS: Our host also has a Book they recommend:

trans_1x1.gif
    Book - The New Solar Electric Home

Always a good site to visit/magazine to subscribe to:

Home Power Mag

Others may have more suggestions.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset