assembling and using my freas hydrometer?

Options
lamplight
lamplight Solar Expert Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
help :)

just ordered one of these from NAW&S and am not quite sure how to put it together! can anyone post a picture of one put together and maybe some basic directions for use? ive never used one before.

Freas HD99M Precision Hydrometer

btw , delivery was today and I installed my 6th panel today for 1050watts of offgrid:
ran out of time today but later will move that lower left panel up to close the gap in the middle :D

4619127103_47af639630.jpg

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: assembling and using my freas hydrometer?

Hello Lamp,

Congrats of the new Hydrometer.

Here is a pix from NAZW&S site of assembled hydro:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/wind-sun_2104_8458341

Am not at my off-grid location, but, from memory, think that the largest diameter on the glass tube is for the Bulb. Lube the bulb and stopper with plain Distilled water. Insert the stopper in the upper larger diameter of the glass tube, rotate the bulb as it is slipped onto the top of the tube ... the bulb goes onto the larger diameter section of the glass tube. Insert the float, small end up -- toward the bulb. Lube the lower rubber wand (snorkel or whatever), and rotate it as it is slipped into the lower (smaller diameter) end of the glass tube. When you are done, the red, larger end of the float should be at the snorkel end of the hydro, and the small end of it toward the bulb.

Please be careful, as the float is very delicate ... do not drop the hydro. Think it is good to rinse the hydro with distilled water a couple of times to rid it of crapola before use.

This thread covers issues of Hyrometering:

,http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=7664&highlight=hydrometer

EDIT: This link to Surrette Battery is a good general outline of using a Hydrometer, there are other other sites as well:

http://www.rollsbattery.com/content/measuring-specific-gravity-606

Am rushed now, but the search function of this site helps, and there is prob a FAQ
    here as well. More panels is a good thing, Have Fun Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • lamplight
    Options

super helpful post, thank you! yeah, i did some searching here and online but searching for hydrometer assembly wasnt showing much. thanks again ! i am glad you mentioned distilled water for lubing as i hed read about lubing it but didnt even think that maybe it should be distilled water if going into the battery.
  • lamplight
    Options

Hi
    for my hydrometer there is a black stopper stuck in the large end of the outer tube. it has 3 holes in it. the bulb is separate and i could not get it to go around the large end of the tube. I couldnt even get it to go around the SMALL end of the tube lubricated with water. I was afraid of breaking it. is it possible the black stopper is like a flange that should be pulled out?

i wonder if i have the wrong size bulb in the package by accident? any tips for getting it on? it looks WAY to small to fit over the end of the glass tube.

i could coerce it but im sure id break the glass if i try any harder.

thanks for any help. given the size of the bulbs opening none of this looks like it goes together. it looks like it could work if it could be stretched over the end somehow.
  • train82499
    train82499 Registered Users Posts: 11
    Options

They are very nice folks, check at http://www.freasglass.com/ and call them up! You can also email contact them. They fit tightly which is why distilled water is a must use. The plug goes into one end to keep the smaller end of the hydrometer from going into the bulb itself (and by and large keeps acid out of the bulb also). And the rubber bulb goes around the end with that plug in it. You attach the other rubber plug with the suction pipe into the other end of the empty glass tube (after putting in the hydrometer itself weighted side pointed to the rubber suction hose. Sounds like you may have a mismatch or lack confidence in the ability of the rubber to s-t-r-e-t-c-h to fit. Call em up - its a smallish outfit and helpful. I have one with the thermometer added on - it draws very very slowly but they make really accurate devices, and once you get the hang of using them they work fine.
  • lamplight
    Options

thanks very much, that is the way i was trying to assemble it so good for the confirmation. i'll send them a email later. i have confidence the bulb will stretch, but NONE that the glass wont break. it looks too small. will talk to them, thanks again
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Almost makes using a refractometer look easy !
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,