Can we have new "DIY section" on the forum?

AntronX
AntronX Solar Expert Posts: 462 ✭✭
I am thinking it would be nice to have separate forum section for posting circuit schematics and other useful do-it-yourself stuff related to renewable energy. Who else thinks so?

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Can we have new "DIY section" on the forum?

sounds good to me :)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• James
    James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭

I would like to see this as well, however I'm guessing with solar equipment as mature as it is these days, I believe do-it-yourself items may be limited to remote, off-grid and "off the radar" applications, far away from inspections.
  • Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think It would be a great idea! I am a DIY type person, even though I mess things up....LOL, but that is how I learn. :D
  • AntronX

Sure, a DIY grid-tie inverter will not pass utility approval. But there are many ways to solve problems using simple DIY circuits, without spending big money. Simple stuff like temperature controlled switch, voltage controlled switch, capacitor pre-charge circuit, voltage controlled current shunt, diversion load controller, LED lighting. Or more advanced stuff like charge controller, Amp/Volt data logger, DC-DC.

For example, today I was testing an analog PWM diversion controller that I built. It is so much more accurate and quicker responding than Aux diversion control function on Outback FM-60. I use diversion load with my solar system to keep charge controller in Bulk charging mode even when batteries are full. It just dump excess current into large resistor. But if resistor is replaced with DC water pump, this excess current can pump water into storage tank.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Agree that DIY and Off-Grid go together better than DIY Grid TIe, but, if one has advice from a Licensed Electrician, and signed-off permits, at least in CA, that will fly for Grid tie as well.

To me, each section has a number of posters who are DIYers, so, having a DIY section may be redundant. Many DIY installations have been inspected, and personally, I try of do my installs to meet the code and pass inspections JMHO Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭
    AntronX wrote: »
    I am thinking it would be nice to have separate forum section for posting circuit schematics and other useful do-it-yourself stuff related to renewable energy. Who else thinks so?

This has been suggested previously. I'm not going to try to find the thread. If I recall correctly, NAWS and the moderators gave it due consideration and concluded, as Vic surmised, that it was redundant.

Finding and joining other forums has helped me with my DIY projects. For example, I'm making a custom PV rack mount for my camper (3 KYC 85s,) I needed for know the best "DIY" method for sawing 3/16" aluminum plate. I considered posting my question here, on this forum. But it really wasn't an RE question. So I searched and found this forum The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop BBS and posted this thread Sawing aluminum plate. It's a great forum. I'm out of my league there, but they did help lil' ol' me.

Also, I found All About Circuits Forum for electronic circuits.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

You guys are welcome to ask for a DIY forum.

Windsun is pretty busy at the moment working in the real world NAWS shop, so he might not be able to respond at this time to the request. In times past, the answer has been no--If I recall correctly, he had a concern over moderation issues (and possible time sink).

For now, feel free to pick a forum (like Advanced Solar Electric Technical Forum) and just put all of the DIY there... In your First posts, start with [DIY} then the rest of the title/subject line.

If you guys want, I could try and find the other DIY threads and move them to this area (I will have to check and see if that breaks links---I would really hate to break links from older posts).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • AntronX

The [DIY] tag idea sounds good. This way search function can show only those threads. But not everyone may remember to use it. That's why I think dedicated forum section would be best.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

as bb said it really isn't up to us, but at least they will be identifiable with or without dedicated diy forum area. if it comes to fruition then bb and i would just transfer the threads in question.
    btw, that was a good idea bill.8)
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Also, I think you can use the the TAG function (on first post?). This newer version of BBS software now supports "TAGS".

But I will be honest, I rarely have used them (easy to forget the TAGS are there).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I think this will be a great idea for someone like me who is interested in DIY projects to have a centralized forum to learn and be inspired by other's work.