Just got Absolyte IIP 48V Battery Bank for free..

porkfarm
porkfarm Registered Users Posts: 19
Hello All.

Have been lurking for about 2 weeks now as I have a 2.1KW PV grid tied going in next month. But this is my first post.

I was given a 48V 24 battery bank Absolyte IIP unit today. Everybody seem happy to get rid of it, even tho it is only 5 years old.

So now what do I do with it ?

I am already thinking about a second array, but grid tie with a battery bank is kind of a waste as I have a genset for outages.. but it does bring me one step closer should I go off grid .. (PSNH some of the highest rates in the US )

Do I set something up and use it to run my pool filter and hot tub ?
Do I sell it ?
Do I try to charge and and wait for my mind to think up some application for it ?

Oh what to do what to do ?

Any ideas ?

Thanks for the + input and I am glad to be here with a bunch of power hungry folks !
Already have learned a bit and now need to have my reading glasses on all the time ..
I have a lot of post to catch up on.

:D

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Just got Absolyte IIP 48V Battery Bank for free..

What a deal, if it's functional. Have you put a voltmeter on it yet? It very likely needs a charge, do you have a charger that can handle it?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Probably layout for a battery charger that can keep them charged to specifications... If you can't keep them charged--they probably will be scrap in less than a year.

It sure would be nice to through an Inverter/Charger on those and use it for backup power for the whole house. Depending on the AH rating--would you be able to justify $3k-$3.5k for an XW inverter/charger?

Magnum has some nice inverter/charger TSW units too for around $2,100 (including transfer switch).

I normally don't recommend combination units (like inverter+chargers)--but the pure chargers out there that are high current, include programmable settings (voltage, current, absorb timers, etc.) and Power Factor Correction are few and far between right now (PFC+programmable charging current) is great for use with smaller generator sets (which I like for fuel efficiency (fuel storage is another killer for emergency/off grid use).

The inverter+charger units end up being nice all-in-one units for emergency/off-grid use. And you can always add solar panels + charge controller if/when you want to add solar panels.

At this point, since you have Grid Tied Power--Perhaps leave the solar side alone for now. Use the grid for float charging and the generator for off-grid emergency charging.

If you have lots/long power outages (ice storms, hurricans, etc.)--You could always connect the XW hybrid inverter as a GT unit later and move the solar panels over onto a solar charge controller for the battery bank.

If you can split the batteries by 1/2 -- you might look at a pair of 24 volt banks to split with a friend.

What is the battery bank AH rating? To a degree, that sets the min/max cost effective inverter/generator interface limits.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • porkfarm

not completely sure on the AH. Each row has a sticker that says 344 amp hours . Is that per battery ? I have not put a meter to them yet. They where part of a telcom setup.

It is a 90A09 . Online docs show 6-90a09 12 vol 350 HOM AH CP. and it has 4 ??

So... I don't have a clue ...

If I have to spend over 1K on anything, I think I would save it for PV with micro inverts. Not sure I would want to spend much on the battery option. Can I just take them out of series and put a reg 12V charger to them ? Kind of hard to call without a meter handy.

Upload of picture timed out..
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

They appear to be around 400 AH @ 20 Hour rate...

Each cell/6 volt pack is 400 AH and you would stack 24 cells/8 packs to make a 48 volt battery bank @ 400 AH (in series, voltage adds; in parallel then you ad current/AH rating).

Yes, you could put a 12 volt charger on each pair--but if you are going to keep the bank for a while--you should get something to properly float the bank for the long term... Perhaps, at a minimum a 4 amp @ 48 volt charger...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

the quick check for them is to measure the resting voltage of each cell, write it down and then apply a load to the battery, can be done in 12 V configuration applying a 24 hour load, according to this PDF,
    http://www.swiftpower.com/integrated/products/batteries/gnb/absolytellp/26_10b.pdf

the load should be ~ 17 amps... then after 1 hour remeasure and compare the before and after readings, if no change keep the load applied for up to 5 hours or until you see a change in one or more cells. this will tell you how healthy they are...

Eric

Add: do NOT go lower that total 12.2 volts per 12 v battery or ~ 2.04 VPC, if you get there quickly you most likely have a bad cell..

Let us know.

ej

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • porkfarm

well. as it turns out, they are 24 2V cells 4 Racks of 6. They where unplugged just 2 weeks ago. I am breaking down the unit to transport to my house.

I guess I will look for a cheap 48V charger to keep them charged for now.. I have an APC rackmount power supply that had 2 24V batt. packs. Maybe I will create 2 banks of 24V and have that APC unit keep it charged. Heck, It even is an inverter.. Only 120, but better than nothiing for now. And the price is right. Free again.

Thanks for the help and ideas, I wish money was no object, those XW inverter chargers looks sweet. Even the outbacks.

I just want to save the batts before they check out.

Oh.. Sorry, I have to go out and get a new meter, so no readings.
  • porkfarm

The more I think about it, it seems like such a waste to not be using these.. Anybody in the NH. area need a battery bank ? Make me an offer. ;)
  • porkfarm

Ok. Now I am redoing the complete system. After going back and forth and reading tons of post and looking at the XW and the Magnum as well as the Outbacks.. I think my eyes are going to start bleeding.

One way or another, I think I am going to work this batt. bank into the sytem.

I thought the XW was going to be the end all, but I just don't know about it.. Seems I should just go Outback all the way.. Anybody want to help me come up with a system ?

Here is what I have...

Grid Tied.. ( for now, but would love to opt out at some point if needed. )
    48V 24 2.2 cell absolyte telcom bank.
    8Kw Subaru Genny

I am thinking 8 - 10 panels, was going pole mount, but now thinking roof or ground mount with expansion plans.

Will the hybrid X do it all ? Do I want to go X ( support wise ? ) Outback 48V 220 ? ..

I just can't seem to see the complete system and I must admit, it is keeping my up at night.. well.. a little bit anyway..

Thanks everybody for your help..

My eyes need a break.

Pfarm.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

if by hybrid you mean battery backed gt then either x or ob is good to use. particulars that may sway you one way or the other are your preference and may also depend on operating parameters too. for example it would be advantageous to use the x if you have a need to go above 3 or 3.5kw at any one time for loads, that is fewer inverters needed if greater than about 3 or 3.5kw, but less than the xw max depending on model in question.
    as to charging the batteries you will need at least a 5% charge rate from pv and a charge controller to go with it. i'm not sure which is right, the 344ah you say you saw on the batteries or the 400ah bb cites. to be on the safe side go with the 400ah x 5% gives us 20a. with all inefficiencies and other losses we can go up to another 50% to that so 20 + 10 = 30a in pv at 48v. you don't state the pvs you have in mind or their specs, but i think this may be enough for you to go on in figuring things out for yourself, i hope.
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭

This is like the question of Ford vs Chevy ....
    Will the hybrid X do it all ? Do I want to go X ( support wise ? ) Outback 48V 220 ? ..

I think that X will continue to be supported for a while at least .. but then again my SW is no longer supported. I do like outbacks modular system ... start with 3648 then add another for either 7200 watts @ 120 or 3600 @ 220

Either way IMHO you have sorted out to the 2 best.
  • porkfarm

Thanks Neil and audreger..

So I would need 2 3648's for 220 ? Must have 220 as that is what the well pump runs on. If that is the case, I think I would go with what Bill said. Stick with the Reg. GT for the solar and maybe the magnum ms4448AE to charge the batts and backup power, plus it has options .. Maybe the genny into it or PV at another point in time.

Is it correct to say that the XM will not do it all ? I thought I could knock off two birds with one stone.. It seemed for the hybrid name and money, I thought it was a complete package.

Anybody have the ms4448 ? Wonder how it would hold up..
    I have the installer coming over on Friday so I hope to have an idea to run by him.. He mentioned OB over the phone.

Thanks again, and like so many here, learning lots everyday.. Great site !
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭

How big is the well pump?
    XM will do it all up to 6000 watts but, thats only ~ 27 amps @ 220. I think you can parellel two xm's ... not sure.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

Its Xantrex XW series, not XM and it is the only inverter/charger on the market that will do 120/240, generator support and gridtie, not other inverter manufacture has this.

The Outback can do either generator support OR gridtie, not both and a pair of the Outbacks are more expensive than a single XW-6048
  • porkfarm

Ok guys.. Thanks again.. after doing more research, I think I am just going to use the KISS way... Just use the batts. in the back garage for lights and small stuff. ( not much use ) . If I change 24 cells from 48V to 12V, I can always put a cheap inverter on the bank. Just was not able to find a 48V for anything like I could find a nice 2000W 12V for say 360.00.

So now, I just need a panel & charge cntrl.. I figure at some point the batts will get a full charge, and if I ever need power for other than a few lights, I can use my genny.

Talk about going full circle eh ? I just think I should focus any money toward the grid tied solar and keep my little free batt. project as cheap as I can without killing the batts for good.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

you didn't exactly go full circle with the battery for the extra cells used in parallel in a 12v battery bank will have a ah rating that's 4x higher and will require 4x the current to charge along with higher losses necessitating wires many times thicker to accommodate.
  • porkfarm

Well here is what I ended up doing... I have the biggest garage door opener battery backup on the east coast... I think...

I got a tripplite aps powerverter. 48V 2400Watt. and all it works is my garage door opener in my back barn..( and something else should I need it ) Good thing.. I don't have a door and that is where I keep the generator should the power go out.

Seems to work ok, but the fan never shuts off as the float charge is always on. Cell volts are around 2.25 after 12 hours rest. 55.1 Volt total on charge

I had to do something as I did not want the the batts to check out on me, and I have them should I need them for a project.. and they are doing a job, be it a small one..

Just after I got them up and running, there was a story in the news around the Boston area where a power plant had some type of fire and there was a power outage.. The fire team was a bit late getting there as the power was out at the fire station and the garage doors did not open.. Weird timing...