Difference in Xantrex TSW inverters?

momofgcm
momofgcm Solar Expert Posts: 35
I am looking for a TSW inverter for an AC fridge installation. The energy star rating is 343.

I see a Xantrex Prowatt SW2000 ($550) and a ProSine 1800 ($1300).

What is the difference between the 2? Why would I want one over the other. I want it to be a dedicated inverter for the fridge. This is a huge price difference!

What are other good TSW's for fridges?

Kim

Comments

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Difference in Xantrex TSW inverters?

Xantrex Prowatt SW2000 should be fine.

The ProSine 1800 has a grid transfer switch included.
  • Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭

I have seen the sw2000 as low as 350. Google shop and you will find the lowest prices.

Cheers...
    Damani
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i'm seeing the sw2000 as low as $330. not bad for a tsw.
  • sub3marathonman
    sub3marathonman Solar Expert Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

If you are just wanting to run a refrigerator, why not think about an APC Smart UPS 750xl? I think you can get a refurbished unit on ebay for under $200. You may even be able to get by with a Smart UPS SC620 for $174.49 new from the APC store, but you would have to double-check how much power the refrigerator draws and how much power the Smart UPS could supply.

During the hurricanes in Florida my Smart UPS 750xl powered our refrigerator for days while the power was out. I would power the refrigerator for awhile, unplug the Smart UPS, bring it over to my in-laws, charge it up, and bring it back to power the refrigerator again.

My mom had a non-energy star refrigerator, and the UPS 750xl would not power that one, it would trip off when the refrigerator started.
  • momofgcm

I called Xantrex and they said the diff between the prosine and the prowatt is the cheaper one is for mobile applications and the prosine is for residential.

He was talking about the grounding scheme being the difference. I don't know much about grounding so I didn't understand very well. Something about there would be 2 lines tied to ground if I used the cheaper mobile inverter in a residential application.

Anyone have another suggestion for reliable residential true sine inverters and brands. Maybe 1500W.

Also want it to have the lowest draw when it's idle.

Kim
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Have you considered Samlex, in the NAWS store.

EJ

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • momofgcm

I saw some samlex inverters and didn't know if they were a good brand.

Are they reliable and efficient?

Kim
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    momofgcm wrote: »
    He was talking about the grounding scheme being the difference. I don't know much about grounding so I didn't understand very well. Something about there would be 2 lines tied to ground if I used the cheaper mobile inverter in a residential application.

They probably are referring to neutral grounding. On house wiring, the neutral (wider prong on AC plug) is grounded at service entrance.

Many cheaper mobile inverters have direct H-bridge outputs that prevent them from being neutral grounded, meaning you cannot connect it to your main breaker box through a regular transfer switch.