Off Grid System with Propane Generater
I want to go off grid, but I cannot afford a full fledged solar or wind system. As a way of 'testing the waters', I want to know if a propane generator based system is practical. What I have in mind is the following:
- A 3 kw propane generator
- A battery charger
- 225 Amp hr 12 Volt batteries (between 2 to 4 of them)
- A 12 volt lighting and ceiling fan system connected directly to the batteries
- An invertor to power the 120 Volt system
- Possibly a system monitor and switch to automatically control the generator.
- Possibly a solar cell to reduce demand on the generator.
The generator would run 3-5 hours per day to charge the batteries and the house would get power from the batteries. Additionally, a some appliances, such as heating, would run directly from propane. I estimate that it would cost around $2,500 for start-up and about $2 per day to power the house. As time goes on and I start to save on energy costs, I would invest the savings in either solar cells or wind turbines.
Has anyone tried this or a similar system? Does anyone see any obvious problems or shortcomings?
0 · Share on Twitter