math qusetion

2»

Comments

• russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    Re: math qusetion

My outlook or viewpoint of green purchases.

You have the core group of greens who are very vocal and see everything through green colored glasses - a few percent of the population.

You have the core group of what ever the opposite of green is who hate the green glasses and see everything as OK.

You have the other 95% who are just trying to get on in life and make the best choices they can with the bucks they have. They typically buy a car that meets their requirements including operational cost (gas). That is one reason many consider the EV market to be very limited at this time - just plain overpriced.

The greens and the opposites all tend to read sites that support their view and get a rather distorted view of the world in general - just don't try to tell them that!

Do İ spend anything extra for a green product? No
    Do İ worry and buy organic? No
    Do İ worry about GMO foods? Not at all
    Do İ spend extra for 'green' power? Don't be silly - of course not

Do İ try to conserve power? Yes - such as CFL bulbs, LEDs etc
    Do İ try to take care of my small bit of planet earth? Yes - sure do in my own way
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    lorelec wrote: »
    I don't think the fuel efficiency and low emissions of a Prius are incidental factors. People buy the car because of those things, not in spite of them. Why they want those things is another matter. To save money? Maybe. Because they want to use less gasoline and generate less pollution? Almost definitely.

So I'm curious what reason most of your customers give for wanting to invest in solar?

Marc
    Not really.

1. First of all they need a car - that is the first and most important part of the purchase decision.
    2. Then they need to make a choice as to which car - choosing a "green" car is the 2nd decision not the first.
    3. Nobody that does not need a car will buy a Prius ;)

As for the reasons that people buy solar stuff from us, being "green" is about #5 on the list. The main reasons are:
    1. To save money on their power bill.
    2. To get back at the utility company, whether they save money or not :p
    3. Because solar is cool (really!)
    4. For backup and/or off-grid power.
  • kurt
    kurt Registered Users Posts: 13
    niel wrote: »
    we are deviating from the op here and if the op does not mind we can let this conversation continue or we can separate it and make its own thread.
    what say you, kurt?

~ Windsun edit: probably does not matter much, looks like the OP has not come back since his 2nd post anyway.

Let this conversation continue , I feel my questions have been answered .
  • GreenerPower
    GreenerPower Solar Expert Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    kurt wrote: »
    GreenerPower that is what i jhave in mind atleast for a few years and then advance further .
    That's the path I did. I worked as an HVAC tech while going through college, only switched to fulltime in the last year. I did get waived for some calculus, physics courses through aptitude tests (shaved some time and tuition). But I bought used books to refresh them myself.

Good skills are always good for employment, depending on the area. In my area (mainly SW development), good English, properly punctuated resumes don't count much as the applicant's ability to express/demonstrate his/her understanding. Global economy changes things quite abit.

As far as green, in the US, ... somebody please stop me from typing .., everything is mostly for $ . Very few is doing regardless of cost just because "it's the right thing to do" (I do not mean that is good either, it has to make economic sense). Look a year ago while the gas prices hit over $4/gallon, how many motocycles you saw on the streets and there were long waiting list to buy hybrid cars. Now I barely notice motocycles on the road, humvies are re-appearing, hybrids are sitting idle on the dealer's lot collecting dust. We are so short sighted. No CEOs have honestly a "long" term plan. They all want quick bucks since they know they would be kicked out quickly if things turn bad (Compaq, Enron, WorldCom ...). Even with our government, a "10-year plan", can be quickly changed, passed bill revoked when the party heads are switched.
    GP
  • lorelec
    lorelec Solar Expert Posts: 200 ✭✭

Circuitree magazine had an article on PV this month that offered some encouragement:

"Of the many reasons to enter the PV industry, you might be surprised to discover the number of people who state environmentalism as a main reason for participating. The solar energy community is full of enthusiastic technologists, managers, and engineers all proud that they're devoting their energies to a worthy cause. You don't need to believe in human caused global warming to join the club."

Marc
  • Sheldon
    Sheldon Solar Expert Posts: 51 ✭✭✭✭

Algebra will suffice, but its mostly simple arithmetic.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

This is what happens when you lack the basics of math and physics:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=7131
  • hamlet_jones
    hamlet_jones Registered Users Posts: 12

If I may...

Decisions are made in the subconscious brain. The algorithms for what decisions get made are not available for examination, they are hidden. However, it is deduced that decisions are made in an attempt to increase a person's status. That is primary. In our evolutionary past, increased social status conferred a greater abundance of resources. Those with access to greater resources were less likely to starve or get killed during times of crisis (famine, war). They and their children survived, and their genes got passed down. Rinse and repeat.

When a person opens their mouth, it is often to share a prepared narrative of why they make/made the decisions that they do. Our internal narrator is not connected to the area of the brain where decisions are made. Because the algolrithams for making decisions is hidden from us, our narrator can only guess as to why we do what we do. Thus, the narrative we create and share with others is only a guess at what kind of story is going to garner the greatest social acceptance with our peers/tribe/club.

Thus, when someone buys a Prius, or whatever, it isn't just about getting here-to-there, or saving the planet (blah), or any other claptrap like that. In our hydrocarbon culture, your status is greatly improved by owning a automobile (You can't get a date if you ride the bus.) So the primary decision is to get the wheels to increase status. Every high-school kid knows this. Then, you must consider the tribe that you belong to. If you belong to the hillbilly tribe, listen to a lot of country music, etc., then you might buy a truck. If you've got lots of kids, you might get a minivan. If you're a small business owner, then you'll want a H2. If you think maybe you're more sensitive and informed than the next gal, you buy a Prius. Of course, advertising goes a long ways towards swaying your decision process and helping you (mis)identify which tribe you need to impress the most (familiy tribe, work tribe, neighborhood tribe, etc.)

If we carefully observe, we find that advertising first appeals to a persons drive for status. Good advertising will also provide you with a ready made, canned "rational" or "narrative" that you can share with your tribe for why you bought this or that car (soap, washer, home, whiskey, beer, blue-jeans, etc.)

A final note: if you have to dig it out of the ground, it isn't sustainable. Nuclear power isn't sustainable, a Prius isn't sustainable, and with the way we're politically organized in the USA (democracy/capitalism), P.V. isn't sustainable either (like the ethanol industry, p.v. is not NET energy positive).

Hamlet

lorelec wrote: »
    Circuitree magazine had an article on PV this month that offered some encouragement:

"Of the many reasons to enter the PV industry, you might be surprised to discover the number of people who state environmentalism as a main reason for participating. The solar energy community is full of enthusiastic technologists, managers, and engineers all proud that they're devoting their energies to a worthy cause. You don't need to believe in human caused global warming to join the club."

Marc
  • Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭

I'm gonna try to sneak one in here before before Bill slaps wrists.;)

Sustainable? Depends on the time frame. With a long time frame, the VERY SUN ITSELF is unsustainable. In the end, the universe is, perhaps, even less so.

:roll:
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Probably best to let this thread die... OP has the responses and needs no further discussion at this time...

If somebody want to start a thread on what is sustainable and/or why people do what they do--Feel free to start one in the Opinions Forum.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that any use of this product will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,